Email address charges branded 'daylight robbery'

Old February 22nd 20, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default Email address charges branded 'daylight robbery'

"Email address charges branded 'daylight robbery'
By Dan Whitworth Money Box reporter

Ofcom is writing to broadband companies to ask why some people are
having to pay to keep old email addresses.

TalkTalk charges 5 a month and BT charges 7.50 a month if customers
switch providers but want to keep using their email addresses as before.

Virgin deletes those it gives to customers 90 days after they leave, but
Sky lets people keep theirs for free.

Ofcom told Radio 4's Money Box it could see no reason for what one
customer called "basically daylight robbery".

Ofcom added: "We're looking at this to consider whether we need to step
in and take action."

As the UK's four big providers, BT, Sky, TalkTalk and Virgin supply 90%
of the UK's net-using homes with broadband.

Money Box spoke to one customer who has paid 260 to keep an old address
during the three years since switching from BT."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51571275

People would probably do better to buy their own domain, even if it's
only a forwarding domain. Then, even with forwarding only, they'd only
have to change the forwarding address when they switch ISPs.
Old February 22nd 20, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Java Jive wrote:

[snip]

People would probably do better to buy their own domain, even if it's
only a forwarding domain.* Then, even with forwarding only, they'd only
have to change the forwarding address when they switch ISPs.

True, but the cost perceived by a naive user wishing to change
connection provider is the inconvenience of the one-time change to their
own domain.

Perhaps there is an opportunity here for an independent email provider
to offer a transfer service for a standard fee.

--
Graham J
Old February 22nd 20, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 12:21:58 +0000, Java Jive
wrote:

[...]

Yes, people would do better than to do almost anything other than pay
these ridiculous fees, but nobody is forced to do so. Email addresses
are available completely free if you're not fussy about exactly what
they are, and all takes is a bit of time and effort to change. Telling
all your friends your new email address is essentially the same as
what people have always done when moving house, so why all the fuss?
Only if it were part of a business would the name be important, and in
that case you'd probably consider the cost of a domain of your own a
reasonable business expense. Otherwise it's a non-issue; if you don't
like one company's prices or conditions, go to a different one.

Rod.
Old February 22nd 20, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY[_2_]

"Graham J" wrote in message
Java Jive wrote:

[snip]

People would probably do better to buy their own domain, even if it's
only a forwarding domain. Then, even with forwarding only, they'd only
have to change the forwarding address when they switch ISPs.

True, but the cost perceived by a naive user wishing to change connection
provider is the inconvenience of the one-time change to their own domain.

Perhaps there is an opportunity here for an independent email provider to
offer a transfer service for a standard fee.

Indeed. Most people, when they take out an ISP account that comes with an
email address, don't think ahead about what to do if they close the account.

When we moved house, we had to close our Plusnet account because we didn't
have a house to move into immediately, and then take out a new account once
we were in the new house (they didn't have the concept of "parking" the
original account and resurrecting it later at a new address, which is a
shame). However Plusnet allowed the email account to be preserved when the
rest of the account was closed, and you paid a nominal fee (possibly
1/month) to retain it. I think that was 1/account, irrespective of how
many addresses you created of the form . They
have since stopped charging, so you get to retain your email addresses for
free. I'm not sure whether it is free for all accounts, or only those people
who later open a new account with PN.

We've also got our own domain with email addresses and email server, so that
is independent of ISP. And of course gmail addresses are ISP-independent.

Old February 22nd 20, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY[_2_]

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
Yes, people would do better than to do almost anything other than pay
these ridiculous fees, but nobody is forced to do so. Email addresses
are available completely free if you're not fussy about exactly what
they are, and all takes is a bit of time and effort to change. Telling
all your friends your new email address is essentially the same as
what people have always done when moving house, so why all the fuss?
Only if it were part of a business would the name be important, and in
that case you'd probably consider the cost of a domain of your own a
reasonable business expense. Otherwise it's a non-issue; if you don't
like one company's prices or conditions, go to a different one.

The problem comes when you have accounts with various web sites (eg Dropbox)
and the email address is used as the account ID. As long as you get advance
notice (which you would if you were changing ISP, because it would be you
who decided to do it) then you can usually change the account details on the
site.

However it is more difficult if you lose access to the email address with no
warning. I had a Virgin email address from the early days when I had dial-up
internet before broadband. After they stopped charging a monthly fee, the
only way they derived an income was from a proportion of the 0845 phone
call, and I doubt they got CLID details to know *who* was calling. Once I
got broadband with another ISP, I very rarely dialled into the Virgin
number; probably only when I was away from home in the days before free wifi
hotspots. After many years - probably about 15 - I suddenly found that
access to that account disappeared, presumably because I didn't have a
Virgin broadband account. It's a shame that Virgin didn't give me a few
days' notice. Most web sites, I was able to log in under the Virgin address
and then change the account ID to a new Gmail address that I took out. But
Dropbox wouldn't let me log in until I responded to an email that they would
send - to the old address which I could no longer access. Stalemate. I had
to take out a new Dropbox account using the new Gmail address and copy
everything from the PC that had been in the old one. the only slight bummer
was that I had to jump through all the hoops again that you have to with
Dropbox to earn additional storage space - visiting various advertising
sites and all that crap.

Old February 22nd 20, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 22/02/2020 12:21, Java Jive wrote:
[...]

Agreed.

Am I alone in thinking that it's not unreasonable for ISPs to charge for
continuing to provide email facilities to people who are no longer
buying their internet connection from them? If I had a deal whereby
Tesco delivered my groceries for free, would I expect them to continue
doing so if I bought the groceries from Sainsburys instead?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old February 22nd 20, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

The trouble is that people think if the don't use the providing address
they are somehow wasting sone of the poayment, when in fact its really
part of the supplier lock-in

Dave
Old February 22nd 20, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 22/02/2020 15:09, Roger Mills wrote:

On 22/02/2020 12:21, Java Jive wrote:

"Email address charges branded 'daylight robbery'
[...]
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51571275

People would probably do better to buy their own domain, even if it's
only a forwarding domain. Then, even with forwarding only, they'd only
have to change the forwarding address when they switch ISPs.

Agreed.

Am I alone in thinking that it's not unreasonable for ISPs to charge for
continuing to provide email facilities to people who are no longer
buying their internet connection from them? If I had a deal whereby
Tesco delivered my groceries for free, would I expect them to continue
doing so if I bought the groceries from Sainsburys instead?

I don't think the idea of charging is unreasonable, it's more the
exorbitant amounts being actually charged that are unreasonable.
Old February 22nd 20, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 15:09:15 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Am I alone in thinking that it's not unreasonable for ISPs to charge for
continuing to provide email facilities to people who are no longer
buying their internet connection from them? If I had a deal whereby
Tesco delivered my groceries for free, would I expect them to continue
doing so if I bought the groceries from Sainsburys instead?

I agree - a charge is OK. There are costs (small ones) in providing
storage of the mailbox, and even just forwarding.

The charges being raised in some cases are, however, extortionate.
Old February 23rd 20, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Barclay[_2_]

snip

As are GMX - https://www.gmx.co.uk/
& mail.com - https://www.mail.com