West Midlands to get access to ultrafast home broadband

Old February 28th 20, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default West Midlands to get access to ultrafast home broadband

"West Midlands to get access to ultrafast home broadband

One million households in the West Midlands will be able to access
ultrafast gigabit-capable broadband from March, Virgin media says.

The company says the switch-on of its gigabit services is the largest in
the UK, and will be available in Coventry, Birmingham and the
surrounding areas.

Gigabit technology allows for download speeds of more than 1,104
megabits per second. The average UK speed is 54Mbps.

But the ultra-high speeds will cost at least £62 a month - that's £744 a
year."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51658344

I suspect most people would prefer just to be able to get a guaranteed
20-30Mbps for a reasonable price.
Old March 1st 20, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_3_]

Java Jive wrote:
"West Midlands to get access to ultrafast home broadband

One million households in the West Midlands will be able to access
ultrafast gigabit-capable broadband from March, Virgin media says.

The company says the switch-on of its gigabit services is the largest in
the UK, and will be available in Coventry, Birmingham and the
surrounding areas.

Gigabit technology allows for download speeds of more than 1,104
megabits per second. The average UK speed is 54Mbps.

But the ultra-high speeds will cost at least £62 a month - that's £744 a
year."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51658344

I suspect most people would prefer just to be able to get a guaranteed
20-30Mbps for a reasonable price.

The breathless publicity folk perhaps forgot to mention it's only 52Mb/sec
upload......

Old March 2nd 20, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 28/02/2020 18:19, Java Jive wrote:
"West Midlands to get access to ultrafast home broadband

One million households in the West Midlands will be able to access
ultrafast gigabit-capable broadband from March, Virgin media says.

The company says the switch-on of its gigabit services is the largest in
the UK, and will be available in Coventry, Birmingham and the
surrounding areas.

Gigabit technology allows for download speeds of more than 1,104
megabits per second. The average UK speed is 54Mbps.

But the ultra-high speeds will cost at least £62 a month - that's £744 a
year."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51658344

I suspect most people would prefer just to be able to get a guaranteed
20-30Mbps for a reasonable price.

True. The prices are trickling down slowly, but it's always the topline
offer that the ISPs focus on. I could pay more and get full FTTC fibre
or even more for FTTH, but at 33/9 I can do everything our household
needs (incl. 4K streaming and having 2x teens in the house) so why would I?