Plusnet down E Scotland?

Old March 6th 20, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Default Plusnet down E Scotland?

Plusnet Support Team wrote:
On 05/03/2020 08:35, Graham J wrote:
Chris wrote:
Graham J wrote:
Chris wrote:

[snip]

I didn't have time to get into the settings before heading out, but
it's
stripe is red and the "b" light is blinking red also. I think that
means
there's no bb signal.* I've power cycled it and changed the filter
just in
case.

Came home this evening and everything was working again. First
outage I've
had in many years.

While it's working, get familiar with its web interface so it becomes
just a matter of seconds to see the line status.* Then when the problem
recurs you can give us sensible information.

In fact, tell us the line performance parameters now (sync speed, SNR
margin, and any error counts).* I know it's difficult to find these
parameters on some routers, so tell us the router make & model and
somebody should be able to help.

Good point. I thought I know where to find it, but that info is very well
hidden. Anyone know where to find it ona plusnet hub one router?

I'm sure somebody from Plusnet will be along in a moment ...

192.168.1.254 Advanced Settings Troubleshooting Helpdesk

You'll be prompted for the admin password that can be found on the
underside of the device or on the removeable card (I think).

Thanks Bob. That is not obvious!

So here's my performance settings

6. Data rate: 9999 / 38171
7. Maximum data rate: 13589 / 62389
8. Noise margin: 8.6 / 10.6
9. Line attenuation: 19.7 / 15.1
10. Signal attenuation: 19.7 / 15.2

There isn't an error count.
Old March 6th 20, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Chris wrote:

[snip]

So here's my performance settings

6. Data rate: 9999 / 38171
7. Maximum data rate: 13589 / 62389
8. Noise margin: 8.6 / 10.6
9. Line attenuation: 19.7 / 15.1
10. Signal attenuation: 19.7 / 15.2

There isn't an error count.

Is there something that shows the connection up-time? This should be
virtually the same as the length of time the router has been powered up.
If not, it indcates that there has been a disconnection. Logging
facilities such as F8Lure will allows you to monitor this - only really
practical if you have a static IP address.

If the data rate shows a valid value then you have sync - this may be
shown elsewhere as "in-sync" or something.

Quite separately there should be something that confirms that you have a
PPP session (might be PPPoA or PPPoE) - this means that your router has
completed an authentication handshake with the remote equipment.

So on the assumption that there is nothing wrong with your router and
you have not misconfigured it, the possible scenarieos a

1. No sync - you might see something indicating "training". This means
something wrong with the line between you and the exchange.

2. Good sync but no PPP session. You should see similar data rates to
those shown above (I suspect yours is a capped service). This indicates
a fault with the system intended to validate your username and password.
If you let Plusnet know they may be able to resolve this.

3. Good sync and a live PPP session - with the up-time counter
incrementing. There are still possibilities of routing or DNS problems
that would make websites unavailable, but if you start from having
rebooted your router such faults would be in the exchage exuipment or
within Plusnet.

Hope this helps.

--
Graham J
Old March 7th 20, 08:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Graham J wrote:
Chris wrote:

[snip]

[...]

It does, thanks. Things are back to normal, but I'll bear it mind for next
time. Although, it's been years since "last time" so I probably will have
forgotten all that

Old March 12th 20, 08:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 06/03/2020 16:43, Bev wrote:
On Fri, 06 Mar 2020 10:21:57 +0000, Plusnet Support Team wrote:

Whilst you are here Bob - any idea if or when PN will roll out FTTP? I
know it was trialled but we expect to get FTTP sometime this year and
when I asked the helldesk they said I could get Fibre now from PN. They
didn't seem to understand the difference between FTTC and FTTP.

As it happens we can't get FTTC either as the cabinet is waaaayyyy
distant even though the exchange is enabled.

Nothing I can share I'm afraid.

Old March 12th 20, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bev[_2_]

On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 08:46:41 +0000, Plusnet Support Team wrote:

On 06/03/2020 16:43, Bev wrote:
On Fri, 06 Mar 2020 10:21:57 +0000, Plusnet Support Team wrote:

Whilst you are here Bob - any idea if or when PN will roll out FTTP? I
know it was trialled but we expect to get FTTP sometime this year and
when I asked the helldesk they said I could get Fibre now from PN.
They didn't seem to understand the difference between FTTC and FTTP.

As it happens we can't get FTTC either as the cabinet is waaaayyyy
distant even though the exchange is enabled.

Nothing I can share I'm afraid.

I read that as a positive "we are looking to do something but can't tell
anyone yet" - but I'm an optimist at heart!

Thanks for replying Bob.