OT But Scam Warning: Coronavirus: How hackers are preying on fears ofCovid-19

Old March 16th 20, 04:02 AM posted to alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
Snit

Default OT But Scam Warning: Coronavirus: How hackers are preying onfears of Covid-19

On 3/15/20 8:29 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 at 00:41:49, Snit wrote:
On 3/14/20 9:11 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 at 15:56:22, Shadow wrote:

[]
***** Would have saved us the bother. And the tracking. All the URL
shorteners are trackers.
***** Why do people do it?
***** []'s

Because, particularly in news postings, long URLs get broken as they
pass through various systems and softwares, and the posters want
their readers to have something that remains clickable.
*Some posters post the long version as well as the short one.

That is usually what I see as best practice, even if I do not do it as
often as I should. Had an extension that made a short URL for me but
it is no longer supported. Wonder if I can make my own?

I'd be surprised if there isn't one available (probably several) to suit
whatever browser you use;

Safari. Don't see one but I could be wrong. The search Apple has for
them sucks and they have limited them pretty significantly. Which is not
spectacular.

can't see it'd be worth making your own unless
you have a good reason to.

Well if I do it is because I want the capability -- or, really, to ease
the capability. I have such for opening URLs in private browsing, for
example, or to copy all URLs in the tabs of a window.

Any such will have to use some domain, so you
might as well use one of the existing ones that uses one of the common
ones.

Of course. Like a Bitly one.

(FWIW I use ShortURL with current Chrome, and Shortly URL Shortner
with my old Firefox.)

Used to have one that let me pick from a few for Safari but it no longer
works in the current version.

somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Old March 16th 20, 01:15 PM posted to alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Fri, 13 Mar 2020 10:24:48 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, Java Jive disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

Coronavirus: How hackers are preying on fears of Covid-19

Fools and their money! This thing is being hyped up well beyond the
risk. For proof about idiots, health and the internet, look up
'Morgellon's Syndrome'. I rest my case.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** Amateurs built the Ark, but professionals built the Titanic.**
Old March 17th 20, 09:30 AM posted to alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 02:21:53 +0000, Boris wrote:

I didn't know that, about tracking. Anyway, I do use tinyurl.com a lot,
because of what J.P. Gulliver says, because the long URLs get broken,
depeding on the newsreader. So you would like the unadulterated URL
posted? Do others object to shortened URLs?

Why not just post the preview link?

e.g.:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/rxxcx5z
Old March 17th 20, 10:47 AM posted to alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
nospam

In article , Boris
wrote:

I know.
But posting

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/social...0/02/battling-

online-coronavirus-scams-with-facts/

Would have saved us the bother. And the tracking. All the URL
shorteners are trackers.
Why do people do it?

I didn't know that, about tracking. Anyway, I do use tinyurl.com a lot,
because of what J.P. Gulliver says, because the long URLs get broken,
depeding on the newsreader. So you would like the unadulterated URL
posted? Do others object to shortened URLs?

use a newsreader that doesn't break things. problem solved.

url shorteners is an incredibly bad idea, if for no other reason that
there's no way to know what it leads to.
Old March 17th 20, 02:18 PM posted to alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
Frank Slootweg

Boris wrote:
[...]
I didn't know that, about tracking. Anyway, I do use tinyurl.com a lot,
because of what J.P. Gulliver says, because the long URLs get broken,
depeding on the newsreader. So you would like the unadulterated URL
posted? Do others object to shortened URLs?

Always post the full URL, so anyone can see/judge it and those with a
working newsreader/brain can use it.

Optionally, *also* post a shortened URL and - as Bob Eager mentioned -
with preview. If a URL-shortening site does not support preview, then
don't use that site.
Old March 17th 20, 11:15 PM posted to alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
Snit

On 3/17/20 3:47 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Boris
wrote:

I know.
But posting

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/social...0/02/battling-

online-coronavirus-scams-with-facts/

Would have saved us the bother. And the tracking. All the URL
shorteners are trackers.
Why do people do it?

I didn't know that, about tracking. Anyway, I do use tinyurl.com a lot,
because of what J.P. Gulliver says, because the long URLs get broken,
depeding on the newsreader. So you would like the unadulterated URL
posted? Do others object to shortened URLs?

use a newsreader that doesn't break things. problem solved.

Does not solve it for others.

url shorteners is an incredibly bad idea, if for no other reason that
there's no way to know what it leads to.

Post the full address and the shortened one.

somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Old March 18th 20, 05:28 AM posted to alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Hayes[_2_]

Default OT But Scam Warning: Long and short URLs

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 15:56:22 -0300, Shadow wrote:

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/social-engineering/2020/02/battling-online-coronavirus-scams-with-facts/

Would have saved us the bother. And the tracking. All the URL
shorteners are trackers.
Why do people do it?

Most of the long URLs are trackers, and the shorteners just shorten
the tracking information.

--
Steve Hayes
http://www.khanya.org.za/stevesig.htm
Old March 18th 20, 10:12 AM posted to alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
nospam

In article , Snit
wrote:

But posting

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/social...0/02/battling-
online-coronavirus-scams-with-facts/

Would have saved us the bother. And the tracking. All the URL
shorteners are trackers.
Why do people do it?

I didn't know that, about tracking. Anyway, I do use tinyurl.com a lot,
because of what J.P. Gulliver says, because the long URLs get broken,
depeding on the newsreader. So you would like the unadulterated URL
posted? Do others object to shortened URLs?

use a newsreader that doesn't break things. problem solved.

Does not solve it for others.

of course it does.

anyone who sees broken urls can choose to use a newsreader that doesn't
break them. very simple.

what you're doing is trying to justify using buggy software.

url shorteners is an incredibly bad idea, if for no other reason that
there's no way to know what it leads to.

Post the full address and the shortened one.

post the full url, properly delimited with angle brackets, as per the
rfcs. nothing more is needed. properly written software will correctly
display the unbroken url and make it clickable.

url shorteners are extra work to create, slower to connect, log all
sorts of tracking information both about the person creating it and
those who click on it, can lead to unexpected sites and reinforce the
existence of poorly written software. bad idea all around.
Old March 18th 20, 11:43 AM posted to alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
Carlos E.R.

On 18/03/2020 11.12, nospam wrote:
In article , Snit
wrote:

But posting

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/social...0/02/battling-
online-coronavirus-scams-with-facts/

Would have saved us the bother. And the tracking. All the URL
shorteners are trackers.
Why do people do it?

I didn't know that, about tracking. Anyway, I do use tinyurl.com a lot,
because of what J.P. Gulliver says, because the long URLs get broken,
depeding on the newsreader. So you would like the unadulterated URL
posted? Do others object to shortened URLs?

use a newsreader that doesn't break things. problem solved.

Does not solve it for others.

of course it does.

anyone who sees broken urls can choose to use a newsreader that doesn't
break them. very simple.

No, we can not.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old March 18th 20, 11:50 AM posted to alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
Carlos E.R.

On 17/03/2020 03.21, Boris wrote:
Shadow wrote in news:[email protected] 4ax.com:
On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 13:58:44 -0400, Paul wrote:

I didn't know that, about tracking. Anyway, I do use tinyurl.com a lot,
because of what J.P. Gulliver says, because the long URLs get broken,
depeding on the newsreader. So you would like the unadulterated URL
posted? Do others object to shortened URLs?

Yes, we object.

For one thing, they do or can do tracking.

For another, the organization that does the shortening and expansion can
die, and thus after some years the final site can not be reached, and we
can not even know what it was abaout because we can not see the URL.
Yes, it has happened to me.

Seeing the long URL I can judge if I want to go there or not. Maybe I
have seen it already, maybe I can guess that I'm not that interested.

So please, if you send a shortened link, please do also send the full
one, even if it wraps (we can rebuild it). Just send both and keep
everybody happy.

--
Cheers, Carlos.