Broadband not collapsing

Old March 23rd 20, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Default Broadband not collapsing

Mostly people complain when things go wrong so I just wanted to say that
I'm pleasantly surprised that, on the whole, our broadband
infrastructure has coped well with a sudden upswing in demand during the
day with everyone WFH.

I've been doing a lot of video calls, remote desktopping to work, etc
and it's been the end-point services suffering rather than the connections.

A big thumbs-up here!

Obviously, this'll be a kiss of death and I'll be without BB for the
next week )
Old March 24th 20, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 11:54:17 +0000, Chris wrote:

Mostly people complain when things go wrong so I just wanted to say that
I'm pleasantly surprised that, on the whole, our broadband
infrastructure has coped well with a sudden upswing in demand during the
day with everyone WFH.

I suspect most real world usage doesn't require nearly as much
bandwidth as the advertisers would like us to buy. A typical internet
connection *can* download continuously at something close to the sync
speed, but in reality it will be doing nothing most of the time.

It's a bit like PC power supplies. You can actually get power supplies
rated at 1kW or more, but plug a typical PC into one of those mains
power meters and it'll show around 40W.

Rod.
Old March 25th 20, 09:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 15:19:06 +0000, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 11:54:17 +0000, Chris wrote:

Mostly people complain when things go wrong so I just wanted to say that
I'm pleasantly surprised that, on the whole, our broadband
infrastructure has coped well with a sudden upswing in demand during the
day with everyone WFH.

I suspect most real world usage doesn't require nearly as much
bandwidth as the advertisers would like us to buy. A typical internet
connection *can* download continuously at something close to the sync
speed, but in reality it will be doing nothing most of the time.

It's a bit like PC power supplies. You can actually get power supplies
rated at 1kW or more, but plug a typical PC into one of those mains
power meters and it'll show around 40W.

Rod.

Following up my own post, I've just had an email from Zen saying
they've noticed an increase in usage of about 18%, and they say this
is well within their capacity.

So that's one thing at least that isn't all doom and gloom.

Rod.
Old March 25th 20, 09:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Roderick Stewart wrote:

[snip]

Following up my own post, I've just had an email from Zen saying
they've noticed an increase in usage of about 18%, and they say this
is well within their capacity.

So that's one thing at least that isn't all doom and gloom.

The usual limit on capacity is the backhaul from your local exchange to
the internet generally. This is most obvious for consumer grade ISPs
who don't buy enough capacity and congestion occurs at busy tomes of day
- typically 4 - 8pm when the schoolkids arrive home.

Given that they are now home all day I guess the load is spread more evenly.

--
Graham J
Old March 25th 20, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 25/03/2020 09:33, Graham J wrote:

The usual limit on capacity is the backhaul from your local exchange to
the internet generally.* This is most obvious for consumer grade ISPs
who don't buy enough capacity and congestion occurs at busy tomes of day
- typically 4 - 8pm when the schoolkids arrive home.

Given that they are now home all day I guess the load is spread more
evenly.

OFCOM have asked people to use landline telephone where available rather
than mobile phones and to download films at quiet periods rather than
streaming them.

Old March 25th 20, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_4_]

Graham J wrote:
Roderick Stewart wrote:

[snip]

Following up my own post, I've just had an email from Zen saying
they've noticed an increase in usage of about 18%, and they say this
is well within their capacity.

So that's one thing at least that isn't all doom and gloom.

The usual limit on capacity is the backhaul from your local exchange to
the internet generally. This is most obvious for consumer grade ISPs
who don't buy enough capacity and congestion occurs at busy tomes of day
- typically 4 - 8pm when the schoolkids arrive home.

Given that they are now home all day I guess the load is spread more evenly.

I'm still getting a rock solid performance from Hyperoptic — here's a
typical test I just did, over WiFi, through a wall, to my iPad (it's
obviously better using a wired connection):
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49696391268_eb2202a0f7_o_d.jpg

Day or night, the performance never varies.

Old March 25th 20, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

MB wrote:
On 25/03/2020 09:33, Graham J wrote:

The usual limit on capacity is the backhaul from your local exchange
to the internet generally.* This is most obvious for consumer grade
ISPs who don't buy enough capacity and congestion occurs at busy tomes
of day - typically 4 - 8pm when the schoolkids arrive home.

Given that they are now home all day I guess the load is spread more
evenly.

OFCOM have asked people to use landline telephone where available rather
than mobile phones and to download films at quiet periods rather than
streaming them.

Could we get the BBC to have a blanket ban on broadcast interviews by
mobile phone? The quality is so bad as to often be unintelligible.
They should only use a landine for broadcast material.

--
Graham J
Old March 25th 20, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 25/03/2020 11:00, Graham J wrote:
MB wrote:
On 25/03/2020 09:33, Graham J wrote:

The usual limit on capacity is the backhaul from your local exchange
to the internet generally.* This is most obvious for consumer grade
ISPs who don't buy enough capacity and congestion occurs at busy
tomes of day - typically 4 - 8pm when the schoolkids arrive home.

Given that they are now home all day I guess the load is spread more
evenly.

OFCOM have asked people to use landline telephone where available
rather than mobile phones and to download films at quiet periods
rather than streaming them.

Could we get the BBC to have a blanket ban on broadcast interviews by
mobile phone?* The quality is so bad as to often be unintelligible. They
should only use a landine for broadcast material.

This has been mentioned before. It's a bit difficult to use a landline
when you're out and not near one. It's not always possible.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old March 25th 20, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

MissRiaElaine wrote:

[snip]

Could we get the BBC to have a blanket ban on broadcast interviews by
mobile phone?* The quality is so bad as to often be unintelligible.
They should only use a landine for broadcast material.

This has been mentioned before. It's a bit difficult to use a landline
when you're out and not near one. It's not always possible.

But there's no need to broadcast the horrible result - the interview (or
whatever) can be re-voiced or simply read out.

--
Graham J
Old March 26th 20, 12:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 25/03/2020 20:24, Graham J wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:

[snip]

Could we get the BBC to have a blanket ban on broadcast interviews by
mobile phone?* The quality is so bad as to often be unintelligible.
They should only use a landine for broadcast material.

This has been mentioned before. It's a bit difficult to use a landline
when you're out and not near one. It's not always possible.

But there's no need to broadcast the horrible result - the interview (or
whatever) can be re-voiced or simply read out.

For a pre-planned interview, yes. But not for a live on-the-spot news
report.

--
Ria in Aberdeen