Stupid wifi cordless 'phone.

Old March 23rd 20, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

Default Stupid wifi cordless 'phone.

On 23/03/2020 17:09, Chris Green wrote:

I leave my ThinkPad plugged in all the time except when I'm actually
away from mains power, the batteries (there are two) are still in
pretty good condition and will power it for almost a day.

It's discharge/recharge that wears batteries out. The deeper the
discharge/recharge the more it wears the battery.

We have three Dell E6430 laptops here, which mostly spend their time
connected to docking stations. In the BIOS settings there are various
options for the batteries and one of them is for machines which spend
most of their time connected to the mains PSU. Not sure how much if any
difference selecting it does, but most of the batteries we have are
second hand. They seem to last on battery when we need them, anyway.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old March 23rd 20, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Chris Green wrote:
It's not memory, just wearing out, they do have a finite life
(measured basically in discharge/charge cycles).

We had this discussion on uk.telecom recently. My conclusion was that the
high capacity NiMH batteries have a low cycle life, so what you want are
lower-capacity batteries which work for many more cycles. The high capacity
batteries have their electrode films rolled up very tight, and so the
electrolyte between them is very thin and wear processes can break it down
more faster than a more gently wrapped low capacity cell.

Panasonic's eneloop series have the Eneloop Lite which is their high
cycle-life cell - those might be worth trying.

Theo
Old March 24th 20, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyig u 22 + on desktop

Theo wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
It's not memory, just wearing out, they do have a finite life
(measured basically in discharge/charge cycles).

We had this discussion on uk.telecom recently. My conclusion was
that the high capacity NiMH batteries have a low cycle life, so what
you want are lower-capacity batteries which work for many more
cycles. The high capacity batteries have their electrode films
rolled up very tight, and so the electrolyte between them is very
thin and wear processes can break it down more faster than a more
gently wrapped low capacity cell.

Panasonic's eneloop series have the Eneloop Lite which is their high
cycle-life cell - those might be worth trying.

Theo

Thank you guys.
--
Heard melodies are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter.
FN 22+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland..

---

Old March 24th 20, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Theo wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
It's not memory, just wearing out, they do have a finite life
(measured basically in discharge/charge cycles).

We had this discussion on uk.telecom recently. My conclusion was that the
high capacity NiMH batteries have a low cycle life, so what you want are
lower-capacity batteries which work for many more cycles. The high capacity
batteries have their electrode films rolled up very tight, and so the
electrolyte between them is very thin and wear processes can break it down
more faster than a more gently wrapped low capacity cell.

Exactly! I saw some specifications somewhere from a manufacturer's
range where the low capacity AAAs would last something over 500 cycles
whereas the high capacity ones (1000mAh or more) would only do 200 or
so.

--
Chris Green

Old March 24th 20, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Chris Green wrote:
Theo wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
It's not memory, just wearing out, they do have a finite life
(measured basically in discharge/charge cycles).

We had this discussion on uk.telecom recently. My conclusion was that the
high capacity NiMH batteries have a low cycle life, so what you want are
lower-capacity batteries which work for many more cycles. The high capacity
batteries have their electrode films rolled up very tight, and so the
electrolyte between them is very thin and wear processes can break it down
more faster than a more gently wrapped low capacity cell.

Exactly! I saw some specifications somewhere from a manufacturer's
range where the low capacity AAAs would last something over 500 cycles
whereas the high capacity ones (1000mAh or more) would only do 200 or
so.

Often a problem with manufacturers: they make a recommendation without
explaining why. Consequently users see the recommendation as perverse
or intended to distort the market and (as in this case) buy something
they think should work better but actually get poorer performance.

--
Graham J
Old March 24th 20, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Graham J wrote:
Often a problem with manufacturers: they make a recommendation without
explaining why. Consequently users see the recommendation as perverse
or intended to distort the market and (as in this case) buy something
they think should work better but actually get poorer performance.

Yes, it's a problem with (for instance) mobile batteries. Manufacturers
offer removable batteries as a feature, but only keep the genuine battery
in stock for 6 months. Then the warnings of 'don't use a non-genuine
battery' are hollow, because there are no approved batteries any more.

At which point the user has to fish in the aftermarket, but with no quality
standards to benchmark batteries against they end up in a race to the bottom
and it's almost certain they'll buy a junk battery, because all the decent
ones are priced out.

Theo
Old March 24th 20, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 24/03/2020 11:38, Theo wrote:
Graham J wrote:
Often a problem with manufacturers: they make a recommendation without
explaining why. Consequently users see the recommendation as perverse
or intended to distort the market and (as in this case) buy something
they think should work better but actually get poorer performance.

Yes, it's a problem with (for instance) mobile batteries. Manufacturers
offer removable batteries as a feature, but only keep the genuine battery
in stock for 6 months. Then the warnings of 'don't use a non-genuine
battery' are hollow, because there are no approved batteries any more.

At which point the user has to fish in the aftermarket, but with no quality
standards to benchmark batteries against they end up in a race to the bottom
and it's almost certain they'll buy a junk battery, because all the decent
ones are priced out.

I have a couple of Nokia 6310i batteries that still give three or four
days of standby despite being the best part of 20 years old.

The latest and greatest isn't always the best.

--
Ria in Aberdeen