Stupid wifi cordless 'phone.

Old March 23rd 20, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyig u 22 + on desktop

Default Stupid wifi cordless 'phone.

Both my landline cordless handsets have decided to throw wobblies.
After about 20 minutes into a conversation or waiting for some help
operator to answer the handset goes dead. No sound, no sign of life on
the display, just nothing. After investing I find that the charging
voltage in both charging unit is good. Put the defunct handset back on
the charging unit lets the display activate after about 5 - 10 minutes.
At that point the battery state icon shows as empty. After around 20
more minutes on the charger the icon shows full, exactly the same as it
is after an all night uninterrupted charge, but the 'phone dies again
after a few minutes use. Both handsets are as bad as each other. The
rechargeable batteries are AAA size and labelled 1,100 mAH but I cannot
find them anywhere on line. I checked the Philips website and they only
recommend one type, which is stocked by Amazon and have a link to the
correct Amazon page. But these batteries have capacities closer to 950
mAH. I have some spare size rechargeables but when I install those in
the handset, they won't even allow the display to come. In hope (all
digits crossed) I have ordered those that Philips advised, but doubt
whether the will be getting here as I guess they will be coming from
Europe. Does anyone know where I could purchase some AAA sized,
rechargeable batteries with 1,100 mAH capacity on line.?
--
Heard melodies are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter.
FN 22+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland..

---

Old March 23rd 20, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

"Flyiñg Ñuñ 22 + on desktop" wrote:
[...]

Landline DECT phones seem very fussy about their batteries, our
Siemens Gigaset ones specify that the batteries should be in the range
650mAh to 850mAh and it really would appear that larger capacity ones
make the phones throw a wobbly. They also throw a wobbly when the
batteries get old, they don't just work for less time off the stand
they go gaga a bit like yours.

I've bought specifically Gigaset compatible 750mAh batteries for our
handsets just recently and (touch wood) it seems to have fixed the
issues that we had been having (rather similar to your problems).

--
Chris Green

Old March 23rd 20, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

We've given up on cordless phones here, our "landlines" are mostly SIP
numbers anyway, so we use Cisco multi-line phones connected to the
network switch. We used to have a Gigaset N300IP system but as is common
with these things the batteries died and didn't much like the
replacements we put in, so we just said sod it and went hard wired.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old March 23rd 20, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Johnson[_3_]

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 13:33:19 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

Landline DECT phones seem very fussy about their batteries, our
Siemens Gigaset ones specify that the batteries should be in the range
650mAh to 850mAh and it really would appear that larger capacity ones
make the phones throw a wobbly. They also throw a wobbly when the
batteries get old, they don't just work for less time off the stand
they go gaga a bit like yours.

I've bought specifically Gigaset compatible 750mAh batteries for our
handsets just recently and (touch wood) it seems to have fixed the
issues that we had been having (rather similar to your problems).

My Gigaset phones don't like being left on the charger.Batteries in
the phones that don't get used very often, if at all, fail before the
handsets that are used quite often. (Most of the calls I get these
days are unwanted marketing calls which, thanks to caller ID, I don't
answer.)
If I recall, the original batteries lasted about two years. Some
higher-capacitity unknown-brand replacements lasted about a year,
which I hoped to overcome by installing 750mAh Duracells but they
don't seem to last as long.
Old March 23rd 20, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

MissRiaElaine wrote:
We've given up on cordless phones here, our "landlines" are mostly SIP
numbers anyway, so we use Cisco multi-line phones connected to the
network switch. We used to have a Gigaset N300IP system but as is common
with these things the batteries died and didn't much like the
replacements we put in, so we just said sod it and went hard wired.

Many rechargeables are a tad shorter than their primary equivalents, or
have higher "shoulders" - so the + contact doesn't connect to the
contact in the device.

I've found the only solution is to get the type with solder tags, solder
them all together, and hard-wire them into the device.

As to why the capacity should affect the device behaviour - no idea.
But some devices rely on there being a significant internal resistance
to the battery, and a rechargeable is often too low - so it can give a
greater current. In the face of it that would be useful but some
devices specifically warn against rechargeables for that reason.

--
Graham J
Old March 23rd 20, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 23/03/2020 13:12, Flyi�g �u� 2�2� + on desktop wrote:
Both my landline cordless handsets have decided to throw wobblies.
After about 20 minutes into a conversation or waiting for some help
operator to answer the handset goes dead. No sound, no sign of life on
the display, just nothing. After investing I find that the charging
voltage in both charging unit is good. Put the defunct handset back on
the charging unit lets the display activate after about 5 - 10 minutes.
At that point the battery state icon shows as empty. After around 20
more minutes on the charger the icon shows full, exactly the same as it
is after an all night uninterrupted charge, but the 'phone dies again
after a few minutes use. Both handsets are as bad as each other. The

Crude phone base chargers almost invariably ruin the batteries in their
handsets. Replacing them with new cells of the same chemistry will make
the handsets work again. Ideally you want the same brand.

Putting the batteries you already have into a decent charger and cycling
them a couple of times might get you a little bit more life. They become
lazy if they spend their entire time being trickle charged close to
full. I don't care that they deny there is a memory effect in modern
cells all the ones I have used eventually fail the same way in phones.

rechargeable batteries are AAA size and labelled 1,100 mAH but I cannot
find them anywhere on line. I checked the Philips website and they only
recommend one type, which is stocked by Amazon and have a link to the
correct Amazon page. But these batteries have capacities closer to 950
mAH. I have some spare size rechargeables but when I install those in
the handset, they won't even allow the display to come. In hope (all
digits crossed) I have ordered those that Philips advised, but doubt
whether the will be getting here as I guess they will be coming from
Europe. Does anyone know where I could purchase some AAA sized,
rechargeable batteries with 1,100 mAH capacity on line.?

Quite honestly many claimed 1100mAh AAA batteries will only do that if
the load is *very* gentle indeed. It is mostly misleading advertising of
batteries that can do an honest 900mAh into a realistic load.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old March 23rd 20, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY[_2_]

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 23/03/2020 13:12, Flyi�g �u� 2�2� + on desktop wrote:
Both my landline cordless handsets have decided to throw wobblies.
After about 20 minutes into a conversation or waiting for some help
operator to answer the handset goes dead. No sound, no sign of life on
the display, just nothing. After investing I find that the charging
voltage in both charging unit is good. Put the defunct handset back on
the charging unit lets the display activate after about 5 - 10 minutes.
At that point the battery state icon shows as empty. After around 20
more minutes on the charger the icon shows full, exactly the same as it
is after an all night uninterrupted charge, but the 'phone dies again
after a few minutes use. Both handsets are as bad as each other. The

I had exactly this problem with our phones of this brand, using the
unbranded batteries that were supplied with the handsets. When they started
failing, I replaced them with branded (Duracell, IIRC) batteries of a
greater capacity so they phone could actually be used for a longer call then
30 mins without the phone dying. When those too failed, I contacted support
and they said I was using batteries of too high a capacity - although the
same technology (probably NiMH).

I don't care that they deny there is a memory effect in modern cells all
the ones I have used eventually fail the same way in phones.

Yes, they still haven't managed to make rechargeable batteries that behave
like a tank of water: the level remains the same forever (ignoring
evaporation!) if you neither fill nor empty the tank; the capacity does not
reduce no matter how many times you fill and empty the tank; the tank does
not overflow or misbehave in any other way if the input is permanently
connected because the ballcock shuts off the supply *completely* when the
tank is full.

Laptop batteries in every single laptop I have owned have failed after about
two years because of reducing capacity to the extent that eventually there
is no charge to run the laptop, even though I only leave the PSU connected
while the laptop is turned on (so the battery is always full if I
unexpectedly need to use it off-mains), or until the "charged" light comes
on if the laptop is turned off. Ironically, other people's laptops which are
left permanently connected to the mains don't fail in this way, which makes
me think that all my good intentions were in vain. Interestingly, the
manufacturer's own battery was no better than a cheap Chinese OEM
replacement: the as-new capacity might be better for the manufacturer's
battery, but it still fails to hold any charge after a coupe of years. It
gets to be a pain to have to shutdown my laptop and restart it every time I
want to move it, because also the hibernate-to-disk facility of Windows 7 on
my latest laptop has become greyed-out and none of the remedies that I've
tried have fixed this, so I can't use hibernate-to-disk to preserve the PC's
state while I move it from one mains point to another.

I'm particularly concerned because it's becoming more common these days to
find laptops with soldered-in, non-replaceable batteries, so when those fail
it's a big job to replace them.

Old March 23rd 20, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Given that the original batteries in our Gigaset phones lasted ten
years or so, with the phones nearly always left in the base, I'm not
convinced that the 'crude' chargers are all that bad.

It does seem to take a while to 'teach' the phones/chargers about
their new batteries though.

Putting the batteries you already have into a decent charger and cycling
them a couple of times might get you a little bit more life. They become
lazy if they spend their entire time being trickle charged close to
full. I don't care that they deny there is a memory effect in modern
cells all the ones I have used eventually fail the same way in phones.

It's not memory, just wearing out, they do have a finite life
(measured basically in discharge/charge cycles).

--
Chris Green

Old March 23rd 20, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

NY wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 23/03/2020 13:12, Flyi�g �u� 2�2� + on desktop wrote:
Both my landline cordless handsets have decided to throw wobblies.
After about 20 minutes into a conversation or waiting for some help
operator to answer the handset goes dead. No sound, no sign of life on
the display, just nothing. After investing I find that the charging
voltage in both charging unit is good. Put the defunct handset back on
the charging unit lets the display activate after about 5 - 10 minutes.
At that point the battery state icon shows as empty. After around 20
more minutes on the charger the icon shows full, exactly the same as it
is after an all night uninterrupted charge, but the 'phone dies again
after a few minutes use. Both handsets are as bad as each other. The

I had exactly this problem with our phones of this brand, using the

Ay? Which brand?

Yes, they still haven't managed to make rechargeable batteries that behave
like a tank of water: the level remains the same forever (ignoring
evaporation!) if you neither fill nor empty the tank; the capacity does not
reduce no matter how many times you fill and empty the tank; the tank does
not overflow or misbehave in any other way if the input is permanently
connected because the ballcock shuts off the supply *completely* when the
tank is full.

All rechargeable batteries have a finite discharge/recharge cycle
life.

[...]

I leave my ThinkPad plugged in all the time except when I'm actually
away from mains power, the batteries (there are two) are still in
pretty good condition and will power it for almost a day.

It's discharge/recharge that wears batteries out. The deeper the
discharge/recharge the more it wears the battery.

--
Chris Green

Old March 23rd 20, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Chris Green wrote:

[snip]

I leave my ThinkPad plugged in all the time except when I'm actually
away from mains power, the batteries (there are two) are still in
pretty good condition and will power it for almost a day.

It's discharge/recharge that wears batteries out. The deeper the
discharge/recharge the more it wears the battery.

I suspect some laptops will charge the battery then isolate it and run
the device from the mains while mains remains connected. So some
laptops will behave better than others.

It will be interesting to see how vehicle batteries fail in a couple of
years time ...

--
Graham J