Robustness of VoIP

Old March 24th 20, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Robustness of VoIP

As we're all supposed to be working from home, etc, this afternoon,

- my local council phones are down, no incoming calls accepted
- Social Security Scotland phones are down, no incoming calls accepted

I know the council is VoIP internally, presumably SS Scotland is too as I don't think anyone installs a major new PABX that isn't these days.

Don't know if they're SIP trunks or ISDN externally.

That's two essential govt agencies unable to accept calls.

Owain

Old March 24th 20, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 24/03/2020 16:52, wrote:
As we're all supposed to be working from home, etc, this afternoon,

- my local council phones are down, no incoming calls accepted
- Social Security Scotland phones are down, no incoming calls accepted

I know the council is VoIP internally, presumably SS Scotland is too as I don't think anyone installs a major new PABX that isn't these days.

Don't know if they're SIP trunks or ISDN externally.

That's two essential govt agencies unable to accept calls.

We had an electrical safety inspection booked for last Monday, that went
ahead fine and we passed with a clean bill of health apart from an
earthing problem behind one of the power sockets, which they quickly fixed.

However, the gas safety inspection, which was due today, didn't happen.
It was booked for this afternoon, but we had no email or phone call to
advise it had been cancelled.

So my other half rang them at around 4pm. Yes, it's been called off,
we're writing to advise you and to book another appointment.

Erm.. Excuse me..? You're going to *write* to us..? That will go into
the postal system and presumably arrive sometime next week. How,
precisely, is this helping us trying to find out why the engineer who
was supposed to be here three hours ago, hasn't turned up..?

The mind boggles. Now, I find that the Government is ordering us to stay
at home. Not asking, not advising, *ordering* us..!! I for one swore
nobody was ever going to give me orders again after I retired, and I
have no intention of obeying anybody else now. Grrrrr...!!!!

Ok, rant over.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old March 26th 20, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 24 March 2020 16:52:13 UTC, wrote:
As we're all supposed to be working from home, etc, this afternoon,

- my local council phones are down, no incoming calls accepted
- Social Security Scotland phones are down, no incoming calls accepted

I know the council is VoIP internally, presumably SS Scotland is too as I don't think anyone installs a major new PABX that isn't these days.

I am not even sure you can buy them. We sold a none Voip PABX five years ago and had layered VoIP on top of it for some time before that.

Don't know if they're SIP trunks or ISDN externally.

They are Ethernet. WTF is a SIP trunk?

That's two essential govt agencies unable to accept calls.

They could have sent their staff home or they could be sick - better no reply than ages on hold and then cut off.

Owain

Old March 26th 20, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Don't know if they're SIP trunks or ISDN externally.

They are Ethernet. WTF is a SIP trunk?

An internet connection, used solely for SIP/RTP traffic, along with a
bunch of DDI numbers, usually from a telephony provider rather than an
ISP, for whatever reason they tend to be provided (in my experience
anyway) over an EFM connection, probably for much larger "pipes" they
will use a FTTP connection?

Old March 26th 20, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_5_]

WTF is a SIP trunk?

An internet connection, used solely for SIP/RTP traffic, along with a
bunch of DDI numbers, usually from a telephony provider rather than an
ISP, for whatever reason they tend to be provided (in my experience
anyway) over an EFM connection, probably for much larger "pipes" they
will use a FTTP connection?

That makes sense, but many VSPs use the term SIP trunk(ing) in a very
lose manner, usually these VSPs have no control of the physical line
to their customer. They just use it to mean a SIP account and it's
associated channels, DDIs etc.

It seems to me they often use it to blind the prospective custmer with
jargon while they charge $$$ for a service they could have for free
elswhere.

Old March 26th 20, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_5_]

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 19:26:15 +0000, MissRiaElaine

On 24/03/2020 16:52, wrote:
[...]

What's the politically correct thing I should call you Jones, a ****
or a dick?

The last time anything comparable happened regarding civilian loss of
life, our fathers and grandfathers were expected to fight Germans. Now
it's just germs that are the enemy, and all you are being asked / told
to do, is sit on your arse.

Old March 26th 20, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 26/03/2020 23:09, Graham. wrote:

What's the politically correct thing I should call you Jones, a ****
or a dick?

You can call me whatever you like as long as you don't call me late for
dinner :-)

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old March 28th 20, 12:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 26 March 2020 13:16:17 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Don't know if they're SIP trunks or ISDN externally.

They are Ethernet. WTF is a SIP trunk?

An internet connection, used solely for SIP/RTP traffic, along with a
bunch of DDI numbers, usually from a telephony provider rather than an
ISP, for whatever reason they tend to be provided (in my experience
anyway) over an EFM connection, probably for much larger "pipes" they
will use a FTTP connection?

Yeh sure - but really just a vapour-ware scam see: -

https://www.voipfone.co.uk/PB_sip_trunks.php

Never paid for one.