Plusnet: Drastic traffic shaping.

Old April 23rd 20, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Default Plusnet: Drastic traffic shaping.

tim... wrote:

[snip]

I'm looking to upgrade the router first

as Bob hadn't come back, I'll have to phone the helpline

It's not the ISP's job to sort out your WiFi. Use their router to make
the WAN connection, then get whatever access points you need to cover
your premises.

Others here have and will make recommendations, but nobody can guarantee
that what they recommend will work.

Of course, if you pay a professional consultant you might well get a
guarantee of performance - but the cost might be significant.

--
Graham J
Old April 23rd 20, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Tweed wrote:

Of course in reality it will be the WiFi, which is why you should always
use wired connections.

I'd love to know how to make all the iPads in our family, not to mention
the iPhones, use a wired connection. Wi-Fi can be made to work. Works for
me at home (two APs) and works for my employer, who can handle 3000 users,
many who move around in large groups several times a day.

Practically, for the home user, BT Whole Home Wi-Fi works very well.

That may be true.

Once you accept that wireless signals don't travel well through walls,
and you put an AP in each room wired back to your router, then you can
make all the iThings work.

In effect that what your employer did, and perhaps you could ask what it
cost ...

--
Graham J
Old April 23rd 20, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 17:50:07 +0100, tim... wrote:

I've done this

and proved that it does work on the wired connection but not on the Wifi

and yet people are still telling me

"It might not be the WiFi"

At least it proves it's not traffic shaping (unless they crippled wifi on
the router).
Old April 23rd 20, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

tim... wrote:

I'm looking to upgrade the router first

Although that's an option, it might not help ...

The Hub1 will give you 5GHz plus 2.4GHz versus the Hub0's 2.4GHz only,
but 5GHz is relatively **** at distance, ideally you want it in the same
room as the user(s), so you'd probably still be using 2.4GHz

The Hub1 will give you 802.11ac over the Hub0's 802.11n, so you have
more bandwidth available, but it seems that "something" is interfering
with your 2.4Ghz signal, so the better answer is to get the access
point closer to the user to cut down the effect of the interference -
now I'd do that with a cable every time - but if you can't do that then
mesh wifi should cut the interference down on each hop, so be better
than just upgrading the router and leaving it where it is.
Old April 24th 20, 09:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Andy Burns wrote:
tim... wrote:

I'm looking to upgrade the router first

Although that's an option, it might not help ...

The Hub1 will give you 5GHz plus 2.4GHz versus the Hub0's 2.4GHz only,
but 5GHz is relatively **** at distance, ideally you want it in the same
room as the user(s), so you'd probably still be using 2.4GHz

Yes, I have a Draytek 2860n+ as my VDSL router, that has 2.4GHz and
5Ghz. Down in the lounge, immediately below the room where the 2860n+
is 2.4Ghz is significantly better than 5GHz even though it only has to
get through a thin (wood and plasterboard) ceiling.

--
Chris Green

Old April 24th 20, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_3_]

Chris Green wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
tim... wrote:

I'm looking to upgrade the router first

Although that's an option, it might not help ...

The Hub1 will give you 5GHz plus 2.4GHz versus the Hub0's 2.4GHz only,
but 5GHz is relatively **** at distance, ideally you want it in the same
room as the user(s), so you'd probably still be using 2.4GHz

Yes, I have a Draytek 2860n+ as my VDSL router, that has 2.4GHz and
5Ghz. Down in the lounge, immediately below the room where the 2860n+
is 2.4Ghz is significantly better than 5GHz even though it only has to
get through a thin (wood and plasterboard) ceiling.

That's interesting, because I'm sat under my Apple access point, separated
by a suspended wooden floor and plasterboard/Artex ceiling, and I get my
Virgin Media's full 200Mbit download speed to my iPad on 5GHz. I wonder if
they used foil backed plasterboard on your ceiling? Even adding a further
plasterboard wall only halves the speed. A breeze block wall kills the
signal entirely.

Old April 24th 20, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Tweed wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
tim... wrote:

[...]

Much too old to have foil.

I just looked again (as I'm currently sitting in the room in
question). The *signal* on 5GHz is not so good as that on 2.4Ghz but
the speed is pretty similar, actually a bit better on 5GHz.

--
Chris Green