Plusnet: Drastic traffic shaping.

Old April 1st 20, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

Default Plusnet: Drastic traffic shaping.

On Wednesday, 1 April 2020 10:54:54 UTC+1, Theo wrote:
Graham. wrote:
Are you using their supplied router Andy?
I ask because I am wondering if they implement any traffic shaping using
their embedded TR069 CWPM management platform (if that's even possible).

TR069 can't do traffic shaping of itself, but it can push settings to the
router to enable existing traffic shaping features. I don't know if the
router is capable of that, but a lot of routers are quite weedy and any kind
of DPI would likely be very slow. They could do basic port-based traffic
shaping, but that's not much good when so much is over HTTP/HTTPS these days.

Ordinarily I'd suspect that a symptom where Google sites work better than
others is due to bad IPv4 but working IPv6, but Plusnet don't support IPv6.

Theo

My f8lure pings look significant (as to quite what, I don't know).
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qXFXGHCiYkgKCtx66
look at the difference between the RapidSwitch (top) and the A&A FireBrick (bottom). This has been consistent since Sunday lunchtime.

Old April 1st 20, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Graham. wrote:
[...]

This looks like a congested route somewhere. Can you find out the IP
address of the F8Lure pinger, and the A&A Firebricke and from that their
respective routings to your device?

Is there anybody physcally near you (i.e. on the same exchange) where
you can make the same measurements - specifically somebody using
Plusnet, and somebody not?

Have you asked Plusnet to investigate? Probably you need to talk to
somebody knowledgeable, not the entry level technical support ...

--
Graham J
Old April 2nd 20, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

Graham. wrote:
[...]

Easer said...
Called them at 0900 when the lines opened and was on for 22 min, half of that time in a queue, cant complain about that.

The lady listened patiently to my reasoning that my broadband connection was as good as it's always been, but lately had been suffering, intentionally or otherwise, from a prioritisation of data packets from some sources over others, to the point where these websites and services were unusable. I gave her the examples.

She kept on about the BT test socket, microfilters, and switch it off and back on. No surprise there.
Old April 2nd 20, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

Graham. wrote:
[...]

Just to add she did offer a glimmer of hope by trying to reset the line to clear any stale session, I wondered if that would do any more than me turning off the router for an hour (that guarantees a new IP), anyway she did and it made no difference.
Old April 2nd 20, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Graham. wrote:

The lady listened patiently to my reasoning that my broadband
connection was as good as it's always been, but lately had been
suffering, intentionally or otherwise, from a prioritisation of data
packets from some sources over others, to the point where these
websites and services were unusable. I gave her the examples.

I did notice some problems with youtube overnight, I know they've been
defaulting videos to 480p, but I've just been putting them back to 1080p
and carrying on, last night when I did that I kept pausing and
buffering, so I put them to 720p and that was OK ... whether that's
anything to do with PN, is a different matter.

Old April 2nd 20, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Graham. wrote:

[snip]

This looks like a congested route somewhere. Can you find out the IP
address of the F8Lure pinger, and the A&A Firebricke and from that their
respective routings to your device?

Is there anybody physcally near you (i.e. on the same exchange) where
you can make the same measurements - specifically somebody using
Plusnet, and somebody not?

Have you asked Plusnet to investigate? Probably you need to talk to
somebody knowledgeable, not the entry level technical support ...

--
Graham J

Easier said...

Called them at 0900 when the lines opened and was on for 22 min, half of that time in a queue, cant complain about that.

The lady listened patiently to my reasoning that my broadband connection was as good as it's always been, but lately had been suffering, intentionally or otherwise, from a prioritisation of data packets from some sources over others, to the point where these websites and services were unusable. I gave her the examples.

She kept on about the BT test socket, microfilters, and switch it off and back on. No surprise there.

As I suggested, you don't want the entry-level tech suport.

Isn't there somebody by the name of Bob Eager who works there? He would
understand your question.

--
Graham J
Old April 2nd 20, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Thu, 02 Apr 2020 17:54:29 +0100, Graham J wrote:

Graham. wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Not me! Bob Pullin or something.
Old April 16th 20, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 31/03/2020 22:15, Graham. wrote:
Are you using their supplied router Andy?
I ask because I am wondering if they implement any traffic shaping using their embedded TR069 CWPM management platform (if that's even possible).

We don't. Neither are we applying any other sort of adverse shaping.
Whilst there's been a shift in daytime usage, we've plenty of headroom
to cater for the unusual demand we're seeing at the moment.

Old April 16th 20, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Graham. wrote:
[...]

Still having problems Graham?

I've taken a look at your circuit/utilisation and can't see anything
untoward. Some evidence of errors on the downstream and the occasional
drop but nothing that worries me.

I can't check anything router-wise, as it doesn't seem your
Plusnet-provided hub has been online for a few days.

Old April 17th 20, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"Plusnet Support Team" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 31/03/2020 22:15, Graham. wrote:
Are you using their supplied router Andy?
I ask because I am wondering if they implement any traffic shaping using
their embedded TR069 CWPM management platform (if that's even possible).

We don't. Neither are we applying any other sort of adverse shaping.
Whilst there's been a shift in daytime usage, we've plenty of headroom
to cater for the unusual demand we're seeing at the moment.

wish I was

currently seeing between 10% and 1% of normal download capacity (or speed,
or whatever word you should use)

tim