Plusnet: Drastic traffic shaping.

Old April 17th 20, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Default Plusnet: Drastic traffic shaping.

tim... wrote:

"Plusnet Support Team" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 31/03/2020 22:15, Graham. wrote:
Are you using their supplied router Andy?
I ask because I am wondering if they implement any traffic shaping
using their embedded TR069* CWPM management platform (if that's even
possible).

We don't. Neither are we applying any other sort of adverse shaping.
Whilst there's been a shift in daytime usage, we've plenty of headroom
to cater for the unusual demand we're seeing at the moment.

wish I was

currently seeing between 10% and 1% of normal download capacity (or
speed, or whatever word you should use)

Probably you should be more specific.

Your router should tell you the up and down sync speed - this is the
speed that the physics of the line between your router and the exchange
will allow. If it changes by more than a couple of percent throughout
the day you need to investigate ... But otherwise, you can generally
only improve it by moving house to a location nearer to the exchange.
Or get FTTP !!!!

Various speedtest websites will show you the throughput of your service.
Ordinarily you can expect to see a marked fall in performance over the
day: fastest in the early morning, dropping to a minimum as the
schoolchildren get home from school, and rising a little in the late
evening. If you buy from a professional supplier you might see less
degradation during the day. This degradation is caused by the limited
capacity between your supplier and the rest of the internet. Talk to
your supplier, and suggest you will move if they can't improve things.

Some websites might also be overloaded; so performance may change from
one website to another.

--
Graham J
Old April 17th 20, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Graham J wrote:

Probably you should be more specific.

visit http://dslchecker.bt.com

paste the output here (with exchange and/or phone number redacted)

also paste the output from

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com

after following the "further diagnosis" button
Old April 17th 20, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"Graham J" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Plusnet Support Team" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 31/03/2020 22:15, Graham. wrote:
Are you using their supplied router Andy?
I ask because I am wondering if they implement any traffic shaping
using their embedded TR069 CWPM management platform (if that's even
possible).

We don't. Neither are we applying any other sort of adverse shaping.
Whilst there's been a shift in daytime usage, we've plenty of headroom
to cater for the unusual demand we're seeing at the moment.

wish I was

currently seeing between 10% and 1% of normal download capacity (or
speed, or whatever word you should use)

Probably you should be more specific.

I'm getting a tested Download Speed of between 0.1 and 1.0 Mbps against the
"expected 8-19, minimum 3.5 Mbps

Normally, I get something at the low end or just below the expected range.
(Which I am not entirely happy with, but that's another matter)

[...]

It's PN, that why I posted here.

Obviously if it persists, I will phone up and complain but as Bob was
commenting today I thought I'd see if he had any input first

tim

Old April 17th 20, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Graham J wrote:

Probably you should be more specific.

visit http://dslchecker.bt.com

paste the output here (with exchange and/or phone number redacted)

also paste the output from

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com

Yep, I tested it with this

after following the "further diagnosis" button

Doesn't give me any further information than the basic test does

Except for "This test was not conclusive and further testing is required"

If I'm up early at the weekend I'll try it then as it's less likely that the
problem with be congestion at that time

tim

Old April 17th 20, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

tim... wrote:

I'm getting a tested Download Speed of between 0.1 and 1.0 Mbps against
the "expected 8-19, minimum 3.5 Mbps

wifi, or wired ethernet?
Old April 17th 20, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

tim... wrote:

Doesn't give me any further information than the basic test does

it should tell you the up and downstream IP profiles

Old April 17th 20, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Andy Burns wrote:
tim... wrote:

I'm getting a tested Download Speed of between 0.1 and 1.0 Mbps
against the "expected 8-19, minimum 3.5 Mbps

wifi, or wired ethernet?

Very important point, this!

Always run speedtests with the computer connecting by wired ethernet to
the router.

What does the router tell you about the sync speed? If you don't know
how to find out, ask here and please tell us the make & model of the router.

--
Graham J
Old April 17th 20, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Graham J wrote:

If you don't know how to find out, ask here

the dslchecker link I gave will tell you, regardless of router model.
Old April 18th 20, 08:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 21:54:41 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Graham J wrote:

If you don't know how to find out, ask here

the dslchecker link I gave will tell you, regardless of router model.

DSL checker will only show what the line is estimated to be capable
of. It won't show the sync speed at which your modem is actually
connected. For that, you need to log in locally to its setup pages and
take a look.

The necessary details are sometimes printed on a label stuck to the
modem (or modem/router, or router or hub, whatever your ISP calls it),
but if not, they should be found somewhere in the manual. If you
haven't got the manual, it's often possible to download it froom the
manufacturer's website. Failing all of that, trial and error could be
your next step.

Open a command prompt window (It's in "Windows Administrative Tools",
and then "Windows System") and type "ipconfig" then enter. The entry
for "Default Gateway" will be your modem/router's address. It'll
probably be something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254. Whatever it
is, enter this in the address box of your web browser and you should
be prompted for a name and password. Common choices are "admin" and
"admin" or "admin" and "1234", or "admin" and no password at all, but
the manual, or label, should tell you. Somewhere in the settings pages
there will be a status page that shows your sync speed.

rod.
Old April 18th 20, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Roderick Stewart wrote:

DSL checker will only show what the line is estimated to be capable
of.

it also shows observed speeds.