Plusnet: Drastic traffic shaping.

Old March 31st 20, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

Default Plusnet: Drastic traffic shaping.

It's nice to read the complimentary threads about the ISPs current performance, I'm having real problems with Plusnet, it's very selective regarding what I can and can not use since Sunday afternoon.

If it matters I'm a VDSL customer on the Prestwich exchange in N Manchester.

Its easier to list what *is* working.

All Google websites Google Search, Google Photos, Google Maps, YouTube, etc etc the websites and the media exchanges where relevant work normally

Sky News website is normal

Skype, the website is slow enough to be practically useless but the Skype app works flawlessly.

Zoom, the website is slow but the app works fine with multiple video participants, although the PC app takes its time logging in to a new conference initially.

WhatsApp, works great for video calls.

So what's not working? Just about everything else! either it works at a trickle or not at all

including
My imap gmail and Yahoo accounts
Most web sites including my banking web site and all the other ones that I can think of. BBC news
The astute amongst you will have noticed I'm posting this via Google Groups, like the rest of Google it's working well, my E-S account in Agent downloads posts at a trickle.

I can't post or read to my favorite web forum.

I have to use my phone and expensive mobile data to check stuff each day like my banking.

The odd thing is I can't see any one else complaining, could it be just me?
Old March 31st 20, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Graham. wrote:

The odd thing is I can't see any one else complaining, could it be just me?

80Mbps VDSL on plusnet here, not noticed any problems whatsoever.

Remote desktop, skype4business (voice + IM, not used much video)
youtube, bbc news, NIN and giganews usenet, email, streaming audio from
BBC sounds/tunein/google play music.

Old March 31st 20, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Andy Burns wrote:

80Mbps VDSL on plusnet here, not noticed any problems whatsoever.

Various speedtests showing about 60/15, but my line rate is down at
76/19 instead of the usual 79/19, this machine is on wifi rather than
wired, still nothing to complain about.

Old March 31st 20, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Graham. wrote:
[snip lists of working/not working stuff]

The odd thing is I can't see any one else complaining, could it be just me?

I'm on PlusNet VDSL (in Suffolk though), no noticeable problems here
at all.

--
Chris Green

Old March 31st 20, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Tuesday, 31 March 2020 21:56:31 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Graham. wrote:

The odd thing is I can't see any one else complaining, could it be just me?

80Mbps VDSL on plusnet here, not noticed any problems whatsoever.

Remote desktop, skype4business (voice + IM, not used much video)
youtube, bbc news, NIN and giganews usenet, email, streaming audio from
BBC sounds/tunein/google play music.

Are you using their supplied router Andy?
I ask because I am wondering if they implement any traffic shaping using their embedded TR069 CWPM management platform (if that's even possible).

I am using their router, but it's been re-flashed with OpenWRT!
If I raised a ticket I would probably need to flash the original firmware back so they can tick the box. I know how to do it (I think).
Old March 31st 20, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Graham. wrote:

Are you using their supplied router Andy?

yes and no ...

I ask because I am wondering if they implement any traffic shaping
using their embedded TR069 CWPM management platform (if that's even
possible).

I am using their router, but it's been re-flashed with OpenWRT!

same here

Old March 31st 20, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Andy Burns wrote:
Graham. wrote:

The odd thing is I can't see any one else complaining, could it be just me?

80Mbps VDSL on plusnet here, not noticed any problems whatsoever.

Remote desktop, skype4business (voice + IM, not used much video)
youtube, bbc news, NIN and giganews usenet, email, streaming audio from
BBC sounds/tunein/google play music.

Same here. I'm a 40Mbps VDSL plusnet customer and been really quite
impressed with the *lack* of bandwidth issues. I'm WFH for 8+ hours a day
with next to no issues.

Old April 1st 20, 08:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Barclay[_2_]

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 22:06:44 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

80Mbps VDSL on plusnet here, not noticed any problems whatsoever.

Various speedtests showing about 60/15, but my line rate is down at 76/19
instead of the usual 79/19, this machine is on wifi rather than wired,
still nothing to complain about.

Ookla showing 66.39, down from the usual 75 but not complaining.
Using a FritzBox router instead of Plusnet's.

--
Debian 10.2 "Buster"

Old April 1st 20, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 31/03/2020 22:14, Chris Green wrote:
Graham. wrote:
[snip lists of working/not working stuff]
The odd thing is I can't see any one else complaining, could it be just me?

I'm on PlusNet VDSL (in Suffolk though), no noticeable problems here
at all.

Same here in Hampshire, nothing really changed, 70 ish megs down, 19 up,
8ms-ish ping
Old April 1st 20, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Graham. wrote:
Are you using their supplied router Andy?
I ask because I am wondering if they implement any traffic shaping using
their embedded TR069 CWPM management platform (if that's even possible).

TR069 can't do traffic shaping of itself, but it can push settings to the
router to enable existing traffic shaping features. I don't know if the
router is capable of that, but a lot of routers are quite weedy and any kind
of DPI would likely be very slow. They could do basic port-based traffic
shaping, but that's not much good when so much is over HTTP/HTTPS these days.

Ordinarily I'd suspect that a symptom where Google sites work better than
others is due to bad IPv4 but working IPv6, but Plusnet don't support IPv6.

Theo