Request for someone with Zen and IPv6

Old April 2nd 20, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Mountifield

Default Request for someone with Zen and IPv6

In article ,
Richard Tobin wrote:
Could someone using Zen with IPv6 enabled please tell me if they
can access the following URL:

https://metamap.nlm.nih.gov/

I can reach it if I disable IPv6, and I can reach it with IPv6
enabled from work, but on my home network with IPv6 it times out.

(I'd also be interested to know if anyone has trouble reaching it
from a different ISP.)

-- Richard

Fine on IPv6 via A&A.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: - http://www.softins.co.uk
Old April 2nd 20, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article , grinch wrote:
On 02/04/2020 11:27, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article , grinch

wrote:

I can get its IP from DNS ,but I cant get to it.

What router are you using?

-- Richard

Cisco 867 but that's no relevant the problem is this .If I try to just
get to the https:// metamap.nlm.nih.gov you posted it does not work but
the routing is working.

If I try to get to https:///metamap.nlm.nih.gov/somedocontheserver.pdf
that works fine

This worked https://www.nlm.nih.gov/healthit/NLM_HealthIT.pdf as you
would expect

That last one's not on the metamap server. Does this work?

https://metamap.nlm.nih.gov/Docs/MM_...leaseNotes.pdf

Thanks,
-- Richard
Old April 2nd 20, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 01/04/2020 18:49, Richard Tobin wrote:
Could someone using Zen with IPv6 enabled please tell me if they
can access the following URL:

https://metamap.nlm.nih.gov/

I can reach it if I disable IPv6, and I can reach it with IPv6
enabled from work, but on my home network with IPv6 it times out.

(I'd also be interested to know if anyone has trouble reaching it
from a different ISP.)

-- Richard

What exact error message do you get?
I have no problem from my IPv6 enabled Zen FTTC connection.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).
Old April 3rd 20, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Brian Gregory wrote:

Could someone using Zen with IPv6 enabled please tell me if they
can access the following URL:

https://metamap.nlm.nih.gov/

I can reach it if I disable IPv6, and I can reach it with IPv6
enabled from work, but on my home network with IPv6 it times out.

(I'd also be interested to know if anyone has trouble reaching it
from a different ISP.)

What exact error message do you get?
I have no problem from my IPv6 enabled Zen FTTC connection.

Depending on the client it either hangs indefinitely or reports a
timeout during a TLS handshake. Curl for example says:

$ curl -v -6 https://metamap.nlm.nih.gov
* Rebuilt URL to: https://metamap.nlm.nih.gov/
* Trying 2607:f220:41e:7053::15...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to metamap.nlm.nih.gov (2607:f220:41e:7053::15) port 443 (#0)
* ALPN, offering h2
* ALPN, offering http/1.1
* Cipher selection: ALL:!EXPORT:!EXPORT40:!EXPORT56:!aNULL:!LOW:!RC4:@ STRENGTH
* successfully set certificate verify locations:
* CAfile: /etc/ssl/cert.pem
CApath: none
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client hello (1):

and then sits there, possibly for ever.

Note that it's successfully connecting to the the web server.

Firefox has a message at the bottom of the window "Performing a
TLS handshake with metamap.nlm.nih.gov" and after a while says
"The connection has timed out".

It turns out that I can fetch it with curl when run on my pfsense
firewall router itself, so I'm thinking there must be a problem with
the firewall, but I can't imagine what would cause this one site to
fail when everything else works, and I can't see anything relevant in
the logs.

-- Richard
Old April 3rd 20, 12:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Richard Tobin wrote:
It turns out that I can fetch it with curl when run on my pfsense
firewall router itself, so I'm thinking there must be a problem with
the firewall, but I can't imagine what would cause this one site to
fail when everything else works, and I can't see anything relevant in
the logs.

For some reason typing that made me consider the possibility that it
was an MTU problem, and bingo! setting the MTU to 1492 or less on the
client machine makes it work. I notice that 1492 is the MTU of the
PPPoE interface of the router.

I'll look into it further tomorrow.

Thanks to all who tested.

-- Richard
Old April 3rd 20, 12:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 03/04/2020 00:31, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gregory wrote:

[...]

The current version of MalwareBytes Premium messes up some IPv6 stuff.
Are you using MalwareBytes?

--
Brian Gregory (in England).
Old April 3rd 20, 12:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 03/04/2020 00:42, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article ,
Richard Tobin wrote:
It turns out that I can fetch it with curl when run on my pfsense
firewall router itself, so I'm thinking there must be a problem with
the firewall, but I can't imagine what would cause this one site to
fail when everything else works, and I can't see anything relevant in
the logs.

For some reason typing that made me consider the possibility that it
was an MTU problem, and bingo! setting the MTU to 1492 or less on the
client machine makes it work. I notice that 1492 is the MTU of the
PPPoE interface of the router.

I'll look into it further tomorrow.

Thanks to all who tested.

-- Richard

Ah, weird.

That site must have broken IPv6 path MTU discovery.

Are you on FTTC and using the Fritzbox Zen gave you or something else?

I'm using something else and my MTU is 1500.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).
Old April 3rd 20, 02:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Richard Tobin wrote:

For some reason typing that made me consider the possibility that it
was an MTU problem, and bingo! setting the MTU to 1492 or less on the
client machine makes it work. I notice that 1492 is the MTU of the
PPPoE interface of the router.

I'll look into it further tomorrow.

See if you have an option for baby-jumbo packets, I need that on my
PPPoE interface with plusnet (not IPv6 related).

Old April 3rd 20, 02:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Andy Burns wrote:

See if you have an option for baby-jumbo packets, I need that on my
PPPoE interface with plusnet (not IPv6 related).

forcing 1508 bytes MTU on the VDSL VLAN sub-interface is enough to get
1500 byte frames through
Old April 3rd 20, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Brian Gregory wrote:

For some reason typing that made me consider the possibility that it
was an MTU problem, and bingo! setting the MTU to 1492 or less on the
client machine makes it work. I notice that 1492 is the MTU of the
PPPoE interface of the router.

Ah, weird.

That site must have broken IPv6 path MTU discovery.

Are you on FTTC and using the Fritzbox Zen gave you or something else?

I'm using something else and my MTU is 1500.

No, I'm on FTTP and I'm using a Netgate pfsense router.

As you say it seems most likely that it's a problem at the other
end.

-- Richard