Request for someone with Zen and IPv6

Old April 4th 20, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

Default Request for someone with Zen and IPv6

In article ,
Brian Gregory wrote:

That site must have broken IPv6 path MTU discovery.

I'm still a bit unclear as to how this works. If the problem is with
their MTU discovery, how does reducing the MTU on my client computer
fix it? Surely my computer will already be limited to sending 1492
byte packets by my router.

-- Richard
Old April 4th 20, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DerekF[_2_]

On 01/04/2020 18:49, Richard Tobin wrote:
Could someone using Zen with IPv6 enabled please tell me if they
can access the following URL:

https://metamap.nlm.nih.gov/

I can reach it if I disable IPv6, and I can reach it with IPv6
enabled from work, but on my home network with IPv6 it times out.

(I'd also be interested to know if anyone has trouble reaching it
from a different ISP.)

-- Richard

Have you not asked ZEN ?
Old April 5th 20, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 04/04/2020 14:08, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gregory wrote:

That site must have broken IPv6 path MTU discovery.

I'm still a bit unclear as to how this works. If the problem is with
their MTU discovery, how does reducing the MTU on my client computer
fix it? Surely my computer will already be limited to sending 1492
byte packets by my router.

-- Richard

I'm not 100% sure myself. But my guess would be that your system still
announces it's MSS as the value for MTU=1500 (in the first or first few
SYN and/or ACK packets I think) and the remote end is seeing this and
trying to respond with 1500 byte packets which get dropped near your
end. Your end is presumably sending ICMP Packet Too Big (PTB) but the
remote end must be ignoring that and just assuming that your announced
MSS is correct.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).