Fibre Broadband router/modem connection.

Old May 7th 20, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

Default Fibre Broadband router/modem connection.

On 07/05/2020 16:44, Tufnell Park wrote:
PS With regard to my original question, the answer is; no the router
does not need to be plugged in to the Master Socket but i think many of
you knew that anyway.

It's not that is should be plugged into the master socket, there should
ideally not be any stubs of extension wiring still connected to the line
side of your ADSL filters. You will likely get a better speed if you
have one filter in the master socket that filters all the extensions and
connect your modem/router to the master socket.

However the benefit from this will be less if your speed is already low.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).
Old May 7th 20, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tufnell Park

On 07/05/2020 19:26, Brian Gregory wrote:
On 07/05/2020 16:44, Tufnell Park wrote:
PS With regard to my original question, the answer is; no the router
does not need to be plugged in to the Master Socket but i think many
of you knew that anyway.

It's not that is should be plugged into the master socket, there should
ideally not be any stubs of extension wiring still connected to the line
side of your ADSL filters. You will likely get a better speed if you
have one filter in the master socket that filters all the extensions and
connect your modem/router to the master socket.

However the benefit from this will be less if your speed is already low.

As i'm getting nearly 40 Mbps that's not really an issue.
Old May 8th 20, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 7 May 2020 16:44:44 +0100, Tufnell Park
wrote:

On 26/04/2020 15:56, Graham J wrote:
Tufnell Park wrote:

[snip]

The BT Broadband is still not working as of today.

I have escalated the matter by complaining to the BT CEO and had an
immediate response from the BT Technical Dept? saying they will get
Openreach to carry out a 'cease and reprovide' action in w/c 27 April.

This is the Openreach way of saying "f-off for 7 days while we inspect
our navel".

The process is the traditional mechanism for moving your service from
one provider to another.* Given you are not moving, it is nothing more
than a timewasting paperwork exercise that probably will not involve any
technician attending to correct the wiring fault.

Much quicker to change ISP to one who will beat Openeach about the head
until the problem is fixed.

You were told this two weeks ago.* If you had taken our advice you would
now have a working broadband service.

I am using a mobile broadband device to get online in the meantime and
if i get no joy this week, i think that may be the way to go on a
permanent basis.

Thanks for your interest.

Just to follow up on this saga, my fibre broadband is finally working as
of today.

It seems escalating my complaint to the BT CEO has done the trick and
Openreach have done the necessary work to connect me without having to
resort to changing ISP.

All BT/Openreach have said is that the outage was due to a 'routing issue'

So a good result!

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.

PS With regard to my original question, the answer is; no the router
does not need to be plugged in to the Master Socket but i think many of
you knew that anyway.

Thanks for the update. Pleased to hear it's sorted at last.
--
Pete