Fibre Broadband router/modem connection.

Old April 4th 20, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Default Fibre Broadband router/modem connection.

Tufnell Park wrote:

The router is a BT Smart Hub 2 and was supplied by them and worked
successfully on ADSL.

But doesn't support VDSL :-(

You need a homehub 5 or newer (or an external modem connected to the
router via ethernet, but BT no longer supply those)
Old April 4th 20, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tufnell Park

On 04/04/2020 19:06, Andy Burns wrote:
Tufnell Park wrote:

The router is a BT Smart Hub 2 and was supplied by them and worked
successfully on ADSL.

But doesn't support VDSL :-(

You need a homehub 5 or newer (or an external modem connected to the
router via ethernet, but BT no longer supply those)

Are you sure? I received the Smart Hub 2 in the post from BT only three
weeks ago and was advised to connect it before the fibre was connected.

Could this really be the answer to the problem?
Old April 4th 20, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Tufnell Park wrote:

Are you sure? I received the Smart Hub 2

sorry, yes smarthub rather than homehub, that'll be ok!

Old April 4th 20, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Tufnell Park wrote:

[snip]

The ISP is BT. The router is a BT Smart Hub 2 and was supplied by them
and worked successfully on ADSL.

The router lights on switch on, green initially then flashing orange
then static orange. I did not configure the router myself but it has
been switched on and off several times.

See:
https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/fix-a-problem/broadband-and-wi-fi/i-can-t-connect/what-do-the-lights-on-my-bt-hub-mean-

where it says:

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""

Orange light

Your Hub is working but isn't connected to the internet

Connect a device to your Hub. Open a new web browser window and follow
the on-screen help wizard to get connected.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""

Have you done this?

--
Graham J
Old April 4th 20, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tufnell Park

On 04/04/2020 19:26, Graham J wrote:
Tufnell Park wrote:

[snip]

The ISP is BT. The router is a BT Smart Hub 2 and was supplied by them
and worked successfully on ADSL.

The router lights on switch on, green initially then flashing orange
then static orange. I did not configure the router myself but it has
been switched on and off several times.

See:
https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/fix-a-problem/broadband-and-wi-fi/i-can-t-connect/what-do-the-lights-on-my-bt-hub-mean-

where it says:

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""

Orange light

Your Hub is working but isn't connected to the internet

Connect a device to your Hub. Open a new web browser window and follow
the on-screen help wizard to get connected.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""

Have you done this?

Yes and all i get is a message from 301 Support telling me to 'please
get in touch, it looks like there's a problem with your broadband', so i
rang and was told the router MUST be connected to the mastersocket.
Old April 4th 20, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Tufnell Park wrote:

[...]

The link would suggest otherwise. The continuous orange light indicates
sync.

Change your ISP to somebody decent, for example Zen Internet. Accept
the router they offer you, and connect it when they tell you.

Ultimately it certainly will help to find the master socket. Can you
make a tree fall across the dropwire and break it? Then Openreach will
probably fix it for free ...

It is possible the builder prepared properly for this (as far as a
builder is capable) and installed a master socket in the loft space.
Have you been to look?

--
Graham J
Old April 5th 20, 08:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tufnell Park

Tufnell Park wrote:

[...]

Thanks. That is not really practical, i am mid contract with BT. I'm not
sure changing ISP at this stage will be any better.

Ultimately it certainly will help to find the master socket.* Can you
make a tree fall across the dropwire and break it?* Then Openreach will
probably fix it for free ...

It is possible the builder prepared properly for this (as far as a
builder is capable) and installed a master socket in the loft space.
Have you been to look?

I have looked but doubt any thing but a phone connection was provided
for originally, the property was built over 20 years ago before
broadband became available here.

The old 'copper' BB worked reasonably well since 2008, it also worked
with the new router. But last week since the fibre BB was activated, the
internet no longer works. That must be significant and leads me to think
it is a connection problem. Does that make sense?

Old April 5th 20, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tufnell Park

On 05/04/2020 08:30, Ray wrote:
On 4 Apr 2020 at 16:07:57 BST, "Tufnell Park"
wrote:

The mastersocket would have been installed circa 1998 when the house was
new but i cannot find where it is! I only have access to the extension
sockets.

1998.
Hmm, are you sure you even have a master socket?

No i'm not all all sure there is one and i have searched extensively.

Broadband has only been available in this area since 2008, before that i
used dial up in a non-filtered extension.

I am using a local filter at the socket for the ADSL/VDSL connection.
Old April 5th 20, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Tufnell Park wrote:

[snip]

Change your ISP to somebody decent, for example Zen Internet.* Accept
the router they offer you, and connect it when they tell you.

Thanks. That is not really practical, i am mid contract with BT. I'm not
sure changing ISP at this stage will be any better.

You can go to BT and say "It doesn't work, cancel my contgract."

Zen Internet would understand your question, get you to report results
of tests they would help you with, and once they are convinced that the
problem is with the BT system they will instruct Openreach to fix it.

It is therefore a much better solution, and perfectly practical.

[snip]

The old 'copper' BB worked reasonably well since 2008, it also worked
with the new router. But last week since the fibre BB was activated, the
internet no longer works. That must be significant and leads me to think
it is a connection problem. Does that make sense?

Perfectly. The problem is that you might never convince BT of that.
Remember, their job is to get rid of you as a complainer, as quickly as
possible - it has nothing to do with resolving your problem.

It will be worth lying. Tell them you have their router conected to the
test point inside the master socket via a brand new microfilter. (Do
what you can to achieve this: disconnect all the other phones from their
extensions, and if you have a signal, ring them from a mobile to
demonstrate that your landline phone is unplugged.)

--
Graham J
Old April 5th 20, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Graham J wrote:

It will be worth lying.

This. If the router was working on ADSL and nothing inside the house
has changed, the support bod won't know any different, if it convinces
him to send out an engineer, that'll get it fixed.