Fibre Broadband router/modem connection.

Old April 5th 20, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tufnell Park

Default Fibre Broadband router/modem connection.

On 05/04/2020 09:57, Graham J wrote:
Tufnell Park wrote:

[snip]

Change your ISP to somebody decent, for example Zen Internet.* Accept
the router they offer you, and connect it when they tell you.

Thanks. That is not really practical, i am mid contract with BT. I'm
not sure changing ISP at this stage will be any better.

You can go to BT and say "It doesn't work, cancel my contgract."

Zen Internet would understand your question, get you to report results
of tests they would help you with, and once they are convinced that the
problem is with the BT system they will instruct Openreach to fix it.

It is therefore a much better solution, and perfectly practical.

[snip]

The old 'copper' BB worked reasonably well since 2008, it also worked
with the new router. But last week since the fibre BB was activated,
the internet no longer works. That must be significant and leads me to
think it is a connection problem. Does that make sense?

Perfectly.* The problem is that you might never convince BT of that.
Remember, their job is to get rid of you as a complainer, as quickly as
possible - it has nothing to do with resolving your problem.

It will be worth lying.* Tell them you have their router conected to the
test point inside the master socket via a brand new microfilter.* (Do
what you can to achieve this: disconnect all the other phones from their
extensions, and if you have a signal, ring them from a mobile to
demonstrate that your landline phone is unplugged.)

Thanks.

i have managed to persuade BT support to treat this as a fault (without
having to lie!)

They have sent me an e-mail confirming this and say an engineer will
resolve the problem by 8 April.

I will not be holding my breath!

Old April 5th 20, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tufnell Park

On 05/04/2020 10:15, Andy Burns wrote:
Graham J wrote:

It will be worth lying.

This.* If the router was working on ADSL and nothing inside the house
has changed, the support bod won't know any different, if it convinces
him to send out an engineer, that'll get it fixed.

That is exactly the situation.

Old April 5th 20, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Tufnell Park wrote:

I will not be holding my breath!

I seem to remember a BT advert saying of your broiadband is down due to
a fault, they'll send you out a 4G MiFi box to give you temporary
service, maybe it only applies to some contracts, but as BT aren't the
cheapest, I'd be checking if they can do that for you ..

Old April 5th 20, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
grinch

Graham J wrote:

It will be worth lying.

This.* If the router was working on ADSL and nothing inside the house
has changed, the support bod won't know any different, if it convinces
him to send out an engineer, that'll get it fixed.

That is one of the most irresponsible and dangerous suggestions I have
heard in a very long time.Suggesting this could theoretically result in
the deaths of 2 people.All because his dsl does not work.

I have a friend in the hospital due to this virus who is unlikely to be
coming out alive.

Fortunately Openreach have more sense and their engineers are not doing
any indoor work, except for exceptional special cases.

As a more practical suggestion that does not risk life is change the
filter to the new one that came with the router. The old filters might
be the wrong frequency ,this is a long shot I know.

Also are you sure that the router is capable of working on VDSL the
frequency range is different from ADSL so old routers may not work.
New routers tend to work with both.
Old April 5th 20, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

grinch wrote:

Suggesting this could theoretically result in the deaths of 2 people.

BT engineers are working "as usual", they are taking precautions when
working in people's homes (I know this as a friend of 40+ years is a BT
engineer), could you live in lockdown *without* broadband?

Old April 5th 20, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tufnell Park

On 05/04/2020 10:48, Andy Burns wrote:
grinch wrote:

Suggesting this could theoretically result in the deaths of 2 people.

BT engineers are working "as usual", they are taking precautions when
working in people's homes (I know this as a friend of 40+ years is a BT
engineer), could you live in lockdown *without* broadband?

It should not be necessary for an engineer to attend the property and i
have not requested that as i'm fairly certain there is no problem with
the router or internal installation as nothing has changed apart from
the change of router which worked OK initially.

IMHO this situation could be resolved either at the cabinet or exchange,
as everything was working OK immediately prior to activation of the fibre.
Old April 5th 20, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Graham J wrote:

[...]

We think the OP has already tried the last two suggestions, which is why
he posted here.

As to your other concerns: if Openreach recognise that there is a
problem their first step will be to confirm it exists from their
diagnosics. It is likely (from the OP's description) that these will
show sync but no authentication. That may mean that an Openreach
technician has to sit at his/her computer and reconfigure the
authentication parameters.

In the unlikely event that this does not resolve the problem an
Openreach technician might check equipment in the exchange, then in the
green cabinet near the OP.

If all these checks fail to find a fault ordinarily the technician would
go to the OP's premises. In the current Coronavirus situation that
person might talk to the OP by phone and arrange a visit that meets
their social isolation requirements.

But it would be unreasonable to fail to report the fault just because of
Coronavirus. Theoretically it might be possible that the fault cannot
be repaired until Coronavirus restrictions are removed, of course.

--
Graham J
Old April 5th 20, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tufnell Park

Graham J wrote:

It will be worth lying.

This.* If the router was working on ADSL and nothing inside the house
has changed, the support bod won't know any different, if it convinces
him to send out an engineer, that'll get it fixed.

That is one of the most irresponsible and* dangerous suggestions I have
heard in a very long time.Suggesting this could theoretically result in
the deaths of 2 people.All because his dsl does not work.

I have a friend in the hospital due to this virus who is unlikely to be
coming out alive.

Fortunately Openreach* have more sense and their engineers are not doing
any indoor work, except for exceptional special cases.

OK

It should not be necessary for an engineer to attend the property and i
have not requested that as i'm fairly certain there is no problem with
the router or internal installation as nothing has changed apart from
the change of router which worked OK initially.

IMHO this situation could be resolved either at the cabinet or exchange,
as everything was working OK immediately prior to activation of the fibre.

As a more practical suggestion that does not risk life is change the
filter to the new one that came with the router. The old filters might
be the wrong frequency ,this is a long shot I know.

Also are you sure that the router is capable of working on VDSL the
frequency range is different from ADSL so old routers may not work.
New routers tend to work with both.

The router is a new BT Smart Hub 2 recently supplied by BT for the
change to Fibre BB from ADSL, there were no filters supplied with the
new router.

I have tried the new router with different filters and the BB still
doesn't work.

Old April 5th 20, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tufnell Park

Graham J wrote:

[...]

If that were to be the case then i don't see why BT could not revert the
connection to the previous ADSL remote from the property until the
Coronovrus restrictions are lifted as that worked OK.

No BT Openreach engineers have been to the property either before (or
since) the restrictions came into place. Any work has taken place at the
exchange and or cabinet.
Old April 5th 20, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tufnell Park

On 05/04/2020 11:43, Ray wrote:
On 5 Apr 2020 at 09:08:33 BST, "Tufnell Park"
wrote:

On 05/04/2020 08:30, Ray wrote:
On 4 Apr 2020 at 16:07:57 BST, "Tufnell Park"
wrote:

The mastersocket would have been installed circa 1998 when the house was
new but i cannot find where it is! I only have access to the extension
sockets.

1998.
Hmm, are you sure you even have a master socket?

No i'm not all all sure there is one and i have searched extensively.

Broadband has only been available in this area since 2008, before that i
used dial up in a non-filtered extension.

I am using a local filter at the socket for the ADSL/VDSL connection.

It's highly likely you don't have a Master Socket. So you can't comply with
the request to plug the router into one to enable them to diagnose your
fault.
Tell BT this and they should come out and fit one for you at no expense.

In normal circumstances that would be fine but with the Coronovirus
restrictions they will not come to the property!

BT did not offer to carry out any remote fault diagnosis they just did a
line test.

Their claim that the VDSL (fibre) will not work on an extension could
only be true if there was an integral filter at the mastersocket which i
am now certain is not the case.

As it stands i could be offline for quite a while!