Fibre Broadband router/modem connection.

Old April 4th 20, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tufnell Park

Default Fibre Broadband router/modem connection.

I am being advised by my ISP that my Fibre router/modem must be
connected to the Mastersocket only and not to an extension socket.

Is this absolutely necessary for the fibre BB to work?
Old April 4th 20, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Tufnell Park wrote:

I am being advised by my ISP that my Fibre router/modem must be
connected to the Mastersocket only and not to an extension socket.

Is this absolutely necessary for the fibre BB to work?

No ... though it might improve your speed/stability to do it that way,
have they said this while investigating a problem?

Old April 4th 20, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Andy Burns wrote:

have they said this while investigating a problem?

Presumably you have a master socket with a removable section, hiding a
test socket? And like everyone else you have a drawer full of old
microfilters? Put a microfilter in the test socket and connect your
router there, because faceplates and filters do occasionally go bad.
Old April 4th 20, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 4 April 2020 13:16:37 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Tufnell Park wrote:

I am being advised by my ISP that my Fibre router/modem must be
connected to the Mastersocket only and not to an extension socket.

Is this absolutely necessary for the fibre BB to work?

No ... though it might improve your speed/stability to do it that way,
have they said this while investigating a problem?

Depending on your domestic phone wiring you might have a filtered feed to extensions from your master socket, so the modem will only work in the master socket.

If you have an unfiltered feed then the modem will work in any, but you will need discrete filters (usually a couple supplied with modems / routers) on each socket.

As above the closer your router is to your NTE the better.
Old April 4th 20, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

Tufnell Park wrote:

I am being advised by my ISP that my Fibre router/modem must be
connected to the Mastersocket only and not to an extension socket.

Is this absolutely necessary for the fibre BB to work?

No ... though it might improve your speed/stability to do it that way,
have they said this while investigating a problem?

Depending on your domestic phone wiring you might have a filtered feed to extensions from your master socket, so the modem will only work in the master socket.

If you have an unfiltered feed then the modem will work in any, but you will need discrete filters (usually a couple supplied with modems / routers) on each socket.

As above the closer your router is to your NTE the better.

Ours is about 6ft away from the NTE but the other side of a door, the
socket being in the hall and the router in the living room. I have a
2-pair cable carrying both filtered and unfiltered connections running
from the back of the NTE in mini-trunking up to the door frame at floor
level, then a hole through that and from the other side into more
trunking alongside the door frame to a dual RJ45 faceplate.

The filtered (voice) line connects to pins 4 & 5 of one of the sockets
(the normal pair used for phones in structured cabling) so that a phone
plugged into an RJ45BT dongle will work for test purposes.

The unfiltered line for the router connects to pins 7 & 8 of the *same
socket* and a non-standard cable connects from pins 7 & 8 of the RJ45
plug to pins 4 & 5 of the RJ11 plug into the router.

The filtered pair also routes via Cat 5 cable to the patch panel in the
19" rack on the other side of the room where it gets fed to where it is
needed. The output from the router's Gigabit Ethernet port goes to the
other socket on the faceplate and from there via another length of Cat 6
cable to the rack where it connects to the 24-port switch.

I would like to put the router in the rack cabinet, but it's physically
too far from the NTE for my liking, so this way is the better option I
think.

Possibly a bit overkill for most people, but we like it..!

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 4th 20, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tufnell Park

Tufnell Park wrote:

I am being advised by my ISP that my Fibre router/modem must be
connected to the Mastersocket only and not to an extension socket.

Is this absolutely necessary for the fibre BB to work?

No ... though it might improve your speed/stability to do it that way,
have they said this while investigating a problem?

Depending on your domestic phone wiring you might have a filtered feed to extensions from your master socket, so the modem will only work in the master socket.

If you have an unfiltered feed then the modem will work in any, but you will need discrete filters (usually a couple supplied with modems / routers) on each socket.

As above the closer your router is to your NTE the better.

AFAIK there are no filtered feeds from the mastersocket, there was no
broadband connection when i moved here, i have discreet filters ( phone
& adsl) at each extension outlet and all have worked well for over a
decade, (the landline phone still works).

It is only since the 'fibre' (FTTC) has been activated that a problem
has arisen i.e BB not working. This was when the ISP said the
router/modem *must* be connected to the mastersocket.

The mastersocket would have been installed circa 1998 when the house was
new but i cannot find where it is! I only have access to the extension
sockets.

I am beginning to think i have been misinformed by my ISP.
Old April 4th 20, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tufnell Park

On 04/04/2020 13:16, Andy Burns wrote:
Tufnell Park wrote:

I am being advised by my ISP that my Fibre router/modem must be
connected to the Mastersocket only and not to an extension socket.

Is this absolutely necessary for the fibre BB to work?

No ... though it might improve your speed/stability to do it that way,
have they said this while investigating a problem?

Not as such. My fibre order was in progress and i had successfully
connected the new router/modem. All still worked OK.

I was then advised by text/email that my fibre had been activated, it
was just after that i discovered i had no broadband. Suspicious or what?

It was then that i was informed the 'fibre' (FTTC) would only work if
the router was connected to the mastersocket. I am fairly certain there
is no filter at the mastersocket.
Old April 4th 20, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Tufnell Park wrote:

It was then that i was informed the 'fibre' (FTTC) would only work if
the router was connected to the mastersocket. I am fairly certain there
is no filter at the mastersocket.

Fundamentally VDSL is no different from ADSL in where the filters should
be placed and how they work, that said it's worth trying a single
microfilter in the test socket of the maste socketr, with everything
else disconnected?
Old April 4th 20, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Tufnell Park wrote:

I am being advised by my ISP that my Fibre router/modem must be
connected to the Mastersocket only and not to an extension socket.

Is this absolutely necessary for the fibre BB to work?

No ... though it might improve your speed/stability to do it that way,
have they said this while investigating a problem?

Not as such. My fibre order was in progress and i had successfully
connected the new router/modem. All still worked OK.

I was then advised by text/email that my fibre had been activated, it
was just after that i discovered i had no broadband. Suspicious or what?

It was then that i was informed the 'fibre' (FTTC) would only work if
the router was connected to the mastersocket. I am fairly certain there
is no filter at the mastersocket.

You need to identify where the fault is: sync or authentication.

What router do you have? Can you see its internal web page? If not
ask here and tell us the router make & model.

Does the router have a light to indicate sync? Usually marked "DSL" or
some such. Refer to its manual, probably continuously green will
indicate sync.

If you have sync but no internet have you configured the router with the
correct username and password for your ISP? If they claim it
auto-configures you may have to power off - on and wait, perhaps several
times, perhaps while it updates its firmware.

If ADSL worked with the same configuration then so should VDSL. Your
router (or a decent one that you borrow) will tell you the sync speeds
and SNR margins - say where you are and somebody here might be able to
lend you one. If your sync speeds are not as ofered by your ISP it
might be worth connecting to your master socket.

Your ISP doesn't want to help until you have found the master socket and
tested in it. If then it doesn't work, normally they will call out
Openreach - otherwise tough! Who is your ISP?

To find the master socket you will have to inspect the interior of each
extension socket; so you need a screwdriver, a good light, and possibly
a magnifying glass. Make a drawing and notes of each socket. Record
the number of wires coming ito the socket and how they are connected.
Some have punchdown connectors, others have screw terminals.

If you are physically or mentally disabled and can't do this, there may
be an obligation on your ISP and Openreach to provide help.

If all your sockets have a single cable with 4 or possibly 6 cores
entering, then there will be another junction somewhere which joins all
these cables together. If one socket has multiple cables entering it,
that might be the master. If one of the cables has a black sheath
rather than grey or white that might possibly be the master.

Does the cable enter the premises overhead or underground? If
underground is there a plastic cover rising from the ground on an
exterior wall?

Openreach will for a fixed price replace any existing master socket with
a kosher new one. But at the Coronaviros moment they will probably do
nothing at all. So you're on your own. Sorry.

--
Graham J
Old April 4th 20, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tufnell Park

Tufnell Park wrote:

[...]

Snipped

Openreach will for a fixed price replace any existing master socket with
a kosher new one.* But at the Coronaviros moment they will probably do
nothing at all.* So you're on your own.* Sorry.

Thanks

The ISP is BT. The router is a BT Smart Hub 2 and was supplied by them
and worked successfully on ADSL.

The router lights on switch on, green initially then flashing orange
then static orange. I did not configure the router myself but it has
been switched on and off several times.

The telephone cable is from a pole to my house at the eaves, i cannot
easily. tell where it goes from there. All the cables at the sockets are
grey/white outer. I have not been able to locate a 'mastersocket' as
such. The property is over 20 yrs old, would mastersockets as such have
been fitted then or just a plain outlet plate?

As the broadband is not working at all it does seem as if i am on my own
although i suspect Openreach may have disconnected my ADSL without
connecting me up to the fibre!