Recommendations for Mesh Wifi please, wired backhaul preferred

Old April 7th 20, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Default Recommendations for Mesh Wifi please, wired backhaul preferred

Peter wrote:

"NY" wrote

The ideal solution is Ethernet everywhere. Anything else is a compromise to
some extent of reliability and speed versus convenience of portable devices.
I've yet to find a wifi device which communicates at anywhere *near* the
expected speed for LAN comms. For WAN (internet) comms, the internet
connection is the rate-limiting step so the reduced speed of wifi is not
important.

Exactly.

That also means one can use the ethernet-over-mains modules to feed a
remotely located AP, even though they often run at under 10% of their
rated speed. I never got more than 30mbps out of any brand...

Essentially they are WiFi - same echnology - same problems - half duplex
- shared spectrum

I've had so much hassle with distributed wifi that now I go for a
single high-end AP, and the Ubiquity stuff is very good. I have one
hanging in the loft and it does the whole house easily. And the
garden. I was about 150 quid. Luckily I had an ethernet cable running
up to the loft... so POE was used.

Loft is good, because the obstructions are usually no more than
plasterboard ceilings and dry wooden floorboards. If you can avoid the
cold- and hot-water tanks so much the better.

--
Graham J
Old April 7th 20, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Peter wrote:

"NY" wrote

The ideal solution is Ethernet everywhere. Anything else is a compromise to
some extent of reliability and speed versus convenience of portable devices.
I've yet to find a wifi device which communicates at anywhere *near* the
expected speed for LAN comms. For WAN (internet) comms, the internet
connection is the rate-limiting step so the reduced speed of wifi is not
important.

Exactly.

That also means one can use the ethernet-over-mains modules to feed a
remotely located AP, even though they often run at under 10% of their
rated speed. I never got more than 30mbps out of any brand...

I've never even got that much, far worse than any WiFi system in our
house at least. For most of the sockets where over-mains would be
useful it wouldn't even connect.

I've had so much hassle with distributed wifi that now I got for a
single high-eng AP, and the Ubiquity stuff is very good. I have one
hanging in the loft and it does the whole house easily. And the
garden. I was about 150 quid. Luckily I had an ethernet cable running
up to the loft... so POE was used.

I could try that I guess but I don't know if coverage will be good, I
have a Draytek Vigor 2860n+ which is upstairs in a room that has no
brick walls around it and that doesn't really provide what I would
call good coverage anywhere except in adjacent upstairs rooms. Is a
dedicated AP going to be significantly better than the Draytek?

--
Chris Green

Old April 7th 20, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

NY wrote:

The ideal solution is Ethernet everywhere.

That doesn't make any sense. The ideal solution is the best one that meets
your needs. Ethernet is feck all use for linking my mobile phone to my
broadband connection.

Everything else is a compromise to
some extent of reliability and speed versus convenience of portable devices.

Compromise is often essential. That doesn't make it less than ideal for an
individual.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old April 7th 20, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Postman Pat wrote:

That also means one can use the ethernet-over-mains modules to feed a
remotely located AP, even though they often run at under 10% of their
rated speed. I never got more than 30mbps out of any brand...

I've never even got that much, far worse than any WiFi system in our
house at least. For most of the sockets where over-mains would be
useful it wouldn't even connect.

I never got more than 30mbps out of any wifi either, despite rigging
up one link for the 40MHz band specially.

I get much more than that from APs (well, routers configured as APs)
in the room where the client is. I'm getting 300Mb/s at the moment
for example, but the AP is only a few feet from me.

I've had so much hassle with distributed wifi that now I got for a
single high-eng AP, and the Ubiquity stuff is very good. I have one
hanging in the loft and it does the whole house easily. And the
garden. I was about 150 quid. Luckily I had an ethernet cable running
up to the loft... so POE was used.

I could try that I guess but I don't know if coverage will be good, I
have a Draytek Vigor 2860n+ which is upstairs in a room that has no
brick walls around it and that doesn't really provide what I would
call good coverage anywhere except in adjacent upstairs rooms. Is a
dedicated AP going to be significantly better than the Draytek?

IME, a Draytek 800 AP is much better coverage-wise than the wifi you
get out of a consumer router, but of course I haven't tried every
consumer router

The Ubiquity "round disk" AP was the best ever though for coverage on
2.4GHz. On 5GHz it's rubbish, but the 5GHz *is* rubbish (it works only
in the same room, generally, and the data rate is no better).

Yes, that's been my experience in general with 5Ghz, not a lot better
than 2.4Ghz when you're really close to it and useless if you're not
close. We are lucky here though being in a fairly isolated house in
the country, virtually no competing Wifi (I can just about 'see' our
neighbour's across the road).

That doesn?t make any sense. The ideal solution is the best one that meets
your needs. Ethernet is feck all use for linking my mobile phone to my
broadband connection.

The point is that wired ethernet around the house enables the optimal
solution to be obtained everywhere, at minimal cost, with minimal
hassle, with no extra power (use POE), and everything "just works" and
will always keep working. No config required and totally futureproof

Except that most 'future' internet devices won't even have wired
connections. You don't get smartphones with wired ethernet even now.

--
Chris Green

Old April 7th 20, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 07/04/2020 20:15, Chris Green wrote:

Except that most 'future' internet devices won't even have wired
connections. You don't get smartphones with wired ethernet even now.

That's me screwed then. Don't use wireless at all. Everything wired in
Cat 6 back to the patch panel here. PoE where necessary.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 7th 20, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Chris Green wrote:

I get much more than that from APs (well, routers configured as APs)
in the room where the client is. I'm getting 300Mb/s at the moment
for example, but the AP is only a few feet from me.

A wifi connection that claims that speed, or actual throughput to a
local server?
Old April 7th 20, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

MissRiaElaine wrote:

That's me screwed then. Don't use wireless at all. Everything wired in
Cat 6 back to the patch panel

As they tend to get thinner and lighter, laptops are ditching inbuilt
ethernet sockets, if you want wired you'll end up with a USB
soap-on-a-rope giving you ethernet, monitor connection etc ... think
you'll be safe with desktops for a few years yet.
Old April 7th 20, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

I get much more than that from APs (well, routers configured as APs)
in the room where the client is. I'm getting 300Mb/s at the moment
for example, but the AP is only a few feet from me.

A wifi connection that claims that speed, or actual throughput to a
local server?

Throughput probably isn't 300Mb/s but you don't get 1000Mb/s on a
Gigabit wired connection do you! It's certainly pretty good though.

I just checked a file transfer, 16.3MB/s, so that's probably around
150Mb/s which ain't half bad. I think that a longer transfer that
really saturated the connection might well be a bit faster.

--
Chris Green

Old April 7th 20, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 07/04/2020 22:03, Andy Burns wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:

That's me screwed then. Don't use wireless at all. Everything wired in
Cat 6 back to the patch panel

As they tend to get thinner and lighter, laptops are ditching inbuilt
ethernet sockets, if you want wired you'll end up with a USB
soap-on-a-rope giving you ethernet, monitor connection etc ... think
you'll be safe with desktops for a few years yet.

That's the beauty of the laptops we use (Dell E6430). Built to last,
with easily available (and reasonably cheap) parts. They'll do us for a
few years yet, I think.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 8th 20, 07:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Chris Green wrote:

you don't get 1000Mb/s on a
Gigabit wired connection do you!

Actually yes.

I just checked a file transfer, 16.3MB/s, so that's probably around
150Mb/s which ain't half bad.

That's a bit more throughout than I get on a "supposed" 866Mbps link,
openWRT on the HH5a doesn't support hardware packet offload, so router
CPU becomes the bottleneck