PAYG SIM recommendation for VDSL backup

Old April 20th 20, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

Default PAYG SIM recommendation for VDSL backup

On 20/04/2020 17:16, Peter wrote:

MissRiaElaine wrote

On 20/04/2020 08:35, Andy Burns wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:

The 3 SIM cards seem ok, our laptops all have 3G or 4G cards in them
so they just sit there until needed. I do fire them up once a month
just to check they're still working, but 3 is a crap signal here.

My 4G dongle is mounted high-up in the loft, with a 5m USB lead down to
the cupboard where the router/switch/ups sits.

Not really practical where the laptop has the SIM slot built in.
Besides, we don't have a loft as we're in a flat.

You could use a "4G router" like a RUT240.

They seem to have issues but they work fine for a single-IP backup,
and you can put them in a waterproof box on a mast.

That's extra money, and for the use they get it's not worth it. We're in
the middle floor of a 3-storey block and no way we can get any metalwork
outside, which is most annoying given we are both also radio amateurs.

--
Ria in Aberdeen