PAYG SIM recommendation for VDSL backup

Old April 18th 20, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Johnson[_3_]

Default PAYG SIM recommendation for VDSL backup

Does anyone have any recommendations for PAYG SIMs to use in a USB
dongle as backup to VDSL failure?
My router (Asus DSL-88U) provides a dual-WAN failover mode if required
and I'm interested in setting it up, although it is more than 20 years
since I've had a failure - ADSL in those days.
Thanks.
Old April 18th 20, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Peter Johnson wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for PAYG SIMs to use in a USB
dongle as backup to VDSL failure?

I'm a cheapskate, so I use a Three SIM that gives 200MB data free every
month, that's enough for me to test it every month or two to keep it
alive, and if I ever had a FTTC failure I could buy an add-on to use it
in anger.
Old April 18th 20, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 18/04/2020 17:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Peter Johnson wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for PAYG SIMs to use in a USB
dongle as backup to VDSL failure?

I'm a cheapskate, so I use a Three SIM that gives 200MB data free every
month, that's enough for me to test it every month or two to keep it
alive, and if I ever had a FTTC failure I could buy an add-on to use it
in anger.

I'll second that. We have those SIM cards in our laptops so that we have
access to t'interweb if broadband goes off or if we are away (don't use
public wifi).

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 18th 20, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Rance[_2_]

On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 17:30:58 Andy Burns wrote:

Peter Johnson wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for PAYG SIMs to use in a USB
dongle as backup to VDSL failure?

I'm a cheapskate, so I use a Three SIM that gives 200MB data free every
month, that's enough for me to test it every month or two to keep it
alive, and if I ever had a FTTC failure I could buy an add-on to use it
in anger.

That's exactly what I do. I use the free 200MB per month from Three. I
have to be careful not to point my domain at it. Because it's on a
dynamic IP it got my domain mail server blacklisted for a time as a
"suspicious" IP address. It costs absolutely nothing to run unless I use
more than the 200MB.

David

Old April 19th 20, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 18 April 2020 17:31:03 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Peter Johnson wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for PAYG SIMs to use in a USB
dongle as backup to VDSL failure?

I'm a cheapskate, so I use a Three SIM that gives 200MB data free every
month, that's enough for me to test it every month or two to keep it
alive, and if I ever had a FTTC failure I could buy an add-on to use it
in anger.

We have one in a tablet in case it has to be used somewhere there is no Wi-Fi and another in my partner's tablet (dual SIM)

BT have been keeping to their 99.9% availability for several years now, although we had two long [wide area] drops outs (one all the working day) when they first promised this and no of course they did not pay compensation, nor even refund the rental for the time offline!
Old April 19th 20, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

if I ever had a FTTC failure I could buy an add-on to use it
in anger.

BT have been keeping to their 99.9% availability for several years now

Back in the day I had a vodafone 3G dongle, where you could buy 1GB
chunks of "non-expiring" at 10 a throw, this came into its own when
copper thieves struck twice and cut off most of the village for a week
at a time.

Then vodafone decided that "non-expiring" meant "until we decide to
convert them to expiring".
Old April 19th 20, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Johnson[_3_]

On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 17:30:58 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Peter Johnson wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for PAYG SIMs to use in a USB
dongle as backup to VDSL failure?

I'm a cheapskate, so I use a Three SIM that gives 200MB data free every
month, that's enough for me to test it every month or two to keep it
alive, and if I ever had a FTTC failure I could buy an add-on to use it
in anger.

Thanks Andy, and the others. It was cheapskate mode that I am after.
I've ordered one.
Old April 19th 20, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 19/04/2020 13:16, Andy Burns wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

if I ever had a FTTC failure I could buy an add-on to use it
in anger.

BT have been keeping to their 99.9% availability for several years now

Back in the day I had a vodafone 3G dongle, where you could buy 1GB
chunks of "non-expiring" at 10 a throw, this came into its own when
copper thieves struck twice and cut off most of the village for a week
at a time.

Then vodafone decided that "non-expiring" meant "until we decide to
convert them to expiring".

Yes, I had one of those, although I think it was 15 a GB when I had it.
I lost it when I was filling a skip, I suspect it ended up in there by
mistake :-(

The 3 SIM cards seem ok, our laptops all have 3G or 4G cards in them so
they just sit there until needed. I do fire them up once a month just to
check they're still working, but 3 is a crap signal here. They really
come into their own when we're staying in hotels, as the wifi is
invariably crap and security non-existent.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old April 20th 20, 08:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

MissRiaElaine wrote:

The 3 SIM cards seem ok, our laptops all have 3G or 4G cards in them so
they just sit there until needed. I do fire them up once a month just to
check they're still working, but 3 is a crap signal here.

My 4G dongle is mounted high-up in the loft, with a 5m USB lead down to
the cupboard where the router/switch/ups sits.

Old April 20th 20, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 20/04/2020 08:35, Andy Burns wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:

The 3 SIM cards seem ok, our laptops all have 3G or 4G cards in them
so they just sit there until needed. I do fire them up once a month
just to check they're still working, but 3 is a crap signal here.

My 4G dongle is mounted high-up in the loft, with a 5m USB lead down to
the cupboard where the router/switch/ups sits.

Not really practical where the laptop has the SIM slot built in.
Besides, we don't have a loft as we're in a flat.

--
Ria in Aberdeen