Outdoor WiFi link - cheapest way to do 30 metres or so

Old April 21st 20, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Default Outdoor WiFi link - cheapest way to do 30 metres or so

I want a reasonably fast and reliable link to an outbuilding which is,
I guess, 30 metres or so from the house. The existing UTP cable has
finally given up the ghost in the recent winds and I'm wondering
whether to replace it (difficult, time consuming) or to use a WiFi
link of some sort.

I don't need Gigabit speeds, 100Mb/s would be fine, thus a pair of
300Mb/s capable routers, if they can 'see' each other OK would be
fine.

Should I be looking at dedicated 'point-to-point' WiFi systems or are
'ordinary' routers capable of good speeds at the sort of distance I'm
talking about (30 to 50 metres I'd guess) with clear line of sight
visibility between the two. I could probably place both in windows so
there would just be a couple of sheets of glass in the way.

Or should I put the mole plough on the tractor again and bury a UTP
cable (I do actually have a mole plough, used for burying water feeds
to our fields and a power feed to the outbuildings). That would go
right across the lawn though, and I'd have to get some sort of
pipe/duct to put the UTP in.

--
Chris Green

Old April 21st 20, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Tue 21/04/2020 17:32, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Assuming you have mains at both ends get a pair of powerline units. I
put one next to the router in the lounge whence the ring goes to the
built-in garage at the other end of the house, across a couple of power
boxes, and out on an armoured cable to the shed - in total about 25+
metres. I started at 56Mb/s (VM nominal 50Mb) and it comes out the other
end at about 37Mb/s. I am also a radio amateur and surprisingly it does
not cause me any HF issues whatsoever.
Old April 21st 20, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Chris Green wrote:
I want a reasonably fast and reliable link to an outbuilding which is,
I guess, 30 metres or so from the house. The existing UTP cable has
finally given up the ghost in the recent winds and I'm wondering
whether to replace it (difficult, time consuming) or to use a WiFi
link of some sort.

I don't need Gigabit speeds, 100Mb/s would be fine, thus a pair of
300Mb/s capable routers, if they can 'see' each other OK would be
fine.

Should I be looking at dedicated 'point-to-point' WiFi systems or are
'ordinary' routers capable of good speeds at the sort of distance I'm
talking about (30 to 50 metres I'd guess) with clear line of sight
visibility between the two. I could probably place both in windows so
there would just be a couple of sheets of glass in the way.

Ordinary WiFi Access points should be fine, placed where they can see
each other through windows. Beware glass with antireflective coatings -
they're usually metal - very thin, but enough to stop RF.

--
Graham J
Old April 21st 20, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Woody wrote:
[...]

Absolutely useless, it was my first thought. I can get about 8MB/s
(i.e. about 60Mb/s) if I put power line units right next to the
consumer unit in the house and the one in the outbuilding, any
distance at all down the wiring and the speed deteriorates rapidly.
With the units actually by the two places I want to link I get no
connection at all.

--
Chris Green

Old April 21st 20, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Graham J wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

OK, thanks, I'll try it and see what sort of speed I can get. It will
involve quite a lot of moving stuff about and reconfiguring so I
wanted to know that I had a reasonable chance of getting good speeds
before I started.

--
Chris Green

Old April 21st 20, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 21 April 2020 19:01:13 UTC+1, Graham J wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

If your router or device have aerial connectors you could use small Yagi's.

Old April 21st 20, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Chris Green wrote:

[snip]

OK, thanks, I'll try it and see what sort of speed I can get. It will
involve quite a lot of moving stuff about and reconfiguring so I
wanted to know that I had a reasonable chance of getting good speeds
before I started.

I can't see why you would need to move anything. You just need to run
an Ethernet cable and power to each of the access points.

Or use Access points that work using PoE, such as:

https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/legacy/ap-800

--
Graham J
Old April 21st 20, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Chris Green wrote:
[...]

That's a point, I have routers with external aerials so I'll explore
that route. Thanks.

--
Chris Green

Old April 21st 20, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Graham J wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

[snip]

OK, thanks, I'll try it and see what sort of speed I can get. It will
involve quite a lot of moving stuff about and reconfiguring so I
wanted to know that I had a reasonable chance of getting good speeds
before I started.

I can't see why you would need to move anything. You just need to run
an Ethernet cable and power to each of the access points.

Well, because I would want to use access points that are currently
elsewhere in the house, that's all.

Or use Access points that work using PoE, such as:

https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/legacy/ap-800

Not very 'cheap' though are they.

--
Chris Green

Old April 21st 20, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Chris Green wrote:
That's a point, I have routers with external aerials so I'll explore
that route. Thanks.

Pringles 'Cantenna'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantenna

Woktenna