Outddor WiFi - how do I get at router in bridge mode?

Old April 22nd 20, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Default Outddor WiFi - how do I get at router in bridge mode?

I've started a separate thread as I'm getting somewhere.

I have configured an old[ish] TP-Link MR3420 Wireless Router to work
in (what it calls) bridge mode as a client to one of the routers in
the house. With both routers sitting in the windows where they can
'see' each other I'm getting something like 50Mb/s which is fine for
the moment.

So, the one thing that's bugging me now is how to get to the *client*
router's web configuration, it was fine when it wasn't in bridge mode
and was running DHCP but the how-to I found said one should do the
following in addition to turning on WiFi bridge mode:-

Set the client SSID to the same as the AP it's connecting to
Set the password the same
Turn off DHCP

As I said it works but how do I change things at all now? Having
moved the AP I'm using I want to change its name (and thus also the
SSID of the MR3420) but the MR3420 doesn't seem to have an IP address
or anything now. I suppose I can reset it and start again from
scratch but that seems a bit OTT.

Any ideas?

--
Chris Green

Old April 22nd 20, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Probably you have to start again.

Set it up initially as a router.

Connect a spare PC to it using an Ethernet cable.

Change its IP address to something on the LAN for your primary router.
For example: primary router 192.168.1.1 dhcp range 192.168.1.10-50 so
set the MR3420 to 192.168.1.200 mask 255.255.255.0

Set a static address in your spare PC for example 192.168.1.100 mask
255.255.255.0 and specify the default gateway to be your primary router;
also set the DNS server to the the primary router.

You should be able to communicate from the spare PC to the MR3420 "router".

Now turn off the DHCP service in the MR3420 and confirm your spare PC
can still communicate with it.

Now set the Wifi parameters and enable WiFi bridge mode.

You should still be able to communicate with the MR3420 on
192.168.1.200. It should show you whether it is connected to the WiFi
signal from the primary router. If it fails to do so there should be
some tools to help you.

As a test, you should be able to connect the MR3420 to the primary
router using an ethernet cable, from a LAN port on one to a LAN port on
the other. This should demonstrate all the other features except the
WiFi, obviously.

Once you have the WiFi connection, you should be able to ping the
primary router. If so you should also be able to browse websites on the
internet. Make sure the primary router is not set to block traffic from
addresses not allocated by its DHCP server

At this stage you could reconfigure your spare PC to "auto" and it
should use the WiFi connection via the MR3420 to the primary router to
get its IP address. But it's a good idea to retain the manually
configured settings on the spare PC for debugging purposes when the WiFi
link fails - as it will.

I write this from having set up Vigor AP800 access points in client
mode; I have no specific knowledge of the MR3420 - it may have strange
limitations ....

--
Graham J
Old April 22nd 20, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 22/04/2020 15:15, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

My recollection of running a different piece of kit in bridge mode is
that once configured it either works fine or it doesn't and if it
doesn't work you pretty much have to factory reset it and start again.

It is one of those things that you have to get exactly right or it
misbehaves in peculiar ways or more often just plays dead. Mine wouldn't
let you back into the config screen once you made it live as a bridge.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old April 22nd 20, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

OK, so if that's the way it is so be it. There's not a huge amount of
configuration from factory defaults to get it into bridge/client mode.

Thanks.

--
Chris Green

Old April 22nd 20, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 20:36:22 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

My recollection of running a different piece of kit in bridge mode is
that once configured it either works fine or it doesn't and if it
doesn't work you pretty much have to factory reset it and start again.

It is one of those things that you have to get exactly right or it
misbehaves in peculiar ways or more often just plays dead. Mine wouldn't
let you back into the config screen once you made it live as a bridge.

OK, so if that's the way it is so be it. There's not a huge amount of
configuration from factory defaults to get it into bridge/client mode.

After factory reset it will have a default IP address, perhaps printed
on the label, or if not somewhere in the manual. An easy way in is to
change the IP address of a laptop temporarily to a fixed one and
connect it directly to the device by ethernet cable. No DHCP or
connection to the rest of the network is needed for this.

For instance, I have some Edimax devices which default to 192.168.2.1,
so I can just set the laptop to a fixed IP of 192.168.2.2 which lets
me set it up for whatever mode I want and connecting it by wireless to
the router before finally changing it to 192.168.1.xxx to match the
rest of my network.

Rod.
Old April 23rd 20, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Roderick Stewart wrote:
[...]

Yes, I know that, it's how I configured it to start with as a
client/bridge.

For instance, I have some Edimax devices which default to 192.168.2.1,
so I can just set the laptop to a fixed IP of 192.168.2.2 which lets
me set it up for whatever mode I want and connecting it by wireless to
the router before finally changing it to 192.168.1.xxx to match the
rest of my network.

I have actually set up two client routers as 'bridge/clients' (I'm
calling them that because they are not true bridge connections with a
dedicated device each end), one is a TP-Link TL-MR3420 which is a
general purpose router/switch with ability (that I'm not using) to use
a 3G/4G USB dongle for WAN. The other is a TP-Link TL-WA7210 outdoor
access point. They work rather differently when you factory reset
them. The TL-MR3420 defaults to 192.168.0.1 and turns on its DHCP
server so you can just connect a conventionally configured computer
and it (the computer) will acquire an IP from the TL-MR3420. However
the TL-WA7210 defaults to 192.168.0.254 and doesn't have/turn on a
DHCP server so you have to set the connecting computer to a static IP
in the 192.168.0.x range.

The two routers also act differently once configured. The TL-MR3420
becomes 'invisible', it doesn't appear to have an IP or anything which
is why one has to reset to factory defaults to change anything. The
TL-WA7210 on the other hand acquires an IP address from my LAN's DHCP
server and can be configured still without being reset. Both are
working in what TP-Link calls 'bridge' mode though.

--
Chris Green

Old April 23rd 20, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Chris Green wrote:

{snip}

The two routers also act differently once configured. The TL-MR3420
becomes 'invisible', it doesn't appear to have an IP or anything which
is why one has to reset to factory defaults to change anything. The
TL-WA7210 on the other hand acquires an IP address from my LAN's DHCP
server and can be configured still without being reset. Both are
working in what TP-Link calls 'bridge' mode though.

Bridge mode appears to mean different things to diferent manufacturers.

For example, a point-to-point wireless link using a Tranzeo Access point
and client set up in 2008 to link two sites about 2km apart: router at
one site configured with MAC to IP binding so client PCs at remote site
get the desired IP addresses.

Exactly similar setup for another customer, using two Engenius ENH 500
devices, one configured as AP, the other as a bridged client. Put MAC
address of remote PC into router to configure binding; PC never gets
correct IP. Let router discover MAC address; it thinks the remote PC
has the same MAC address as the local Engenius AP - so again, binding
doesn't work. Configure remote PC with static IP: can ping router but
other things don't work; can't now remember what.

The only resolution was to configure the Engenius as a client router;
meaning all the remote PCs are hidden behind NAT. For this specific
customer NAT was actually useful since it provided some isolation.

But I was never able to get the Engenius to work properly as a bridge.

Be nice to know of products that do work properly as wireless bridges -
just in case anybody asks in future.

--
Graham J
Old April 24th 20, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 10:31:36 +0100, Graham J
wrote:

Bridge mode appears to mean different things to diferent manufacturers.

My understanding is "like an access point but in reverse", or "like an
external wireless adaptor that can be connected to one or more PCs by
ethernet".

[...]
Be nice to know of products that do work properly as wireless bridges -
just in case anybody asks in future.

I have several Edimax EW-7228APn devices which I use like this. They
were purchased some time ago and can only work on 2.5GHz but are more
than adequate for my needs.

It would be good to know if modern replacements were available, but as
you say, the term "bridge" can be ambiguous. Also, some devices are
sold as access points and even though some of them can also be
configured as bridges, this capability is not always mentioned in the
sales description, requiring a bit of research to find out.

Rod.
Old April 25th 20, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

wrote:

[...]

I've just looked up the manuals of my now reduntant Linksys WAP54G

Two modes may be of interest and whilst quite a few years ago now I'm
fairly sure I was set to Wireless Bridge. One end had ethernet to the
office network, the other end, at home, had an ethernet connection to
another WAP to which we then attached wirelessly. "Pringle Can"
aerials with reflectors (all home made "heath robinson" carried the
signal over 400m

1) Wireless Repeater - When set to Wireless Repeater mode, the
Wireless Repeater is able to talk to one remote
access point within its range and retransmit its signal. (This feature
only works with Linksys WAP54G and
WRT54G.)
To configure a Wireless Repeater environment, click Wireless Repeater
and enter the LAN MAC address of the
remote access point in the Remote AP MAC Address field.

2)Wireless Bridge - If you are trying to make a wireless connection
between two wired networks, select Wireless
Bridge. This mode connects two physically separated wired networks
with two access points.
To configure a Wireless Bridge environment, click Wireless Bridge and
enter the LAN MAC address of the
remote access point in the Remote Bridge MAC Address field. The remote
access point also needs to be set up as
a Wireless Bridge.
--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?