SFPs for VDSL/ADSL?

Old April 23rd 20, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
A. Non Eyemouse

Default SFPs for VDSL/ADSL?

Does anybody have any experience or know of availability of SFPs with
built-in VDSL modems? There was some talk on the Mikrotik forum and the
RevK blog going back a couple of years but I can't find any UK suppliers
showing them available.

I have an installation where I need to use a Mikrotik router and this
would be a tidier solution than having to bolt on a Vigor 130 or a
recycled Openreach modem.

--
Mouse.
Where Morse meets House.
Old April 23rd 20, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

A. non Eyemouse wrote:

Does anybody have any experience or know of availability of SFPs with
built-in VDSL modems? There was some talk on the Mikrotik forum and the
RevK blog going back a couple of years but I can't find any UK suppliers
showing them available.

I have an installation where I need to use a Mikrotik router and this
would be a tidier solution than having to bolt on a Vigor 130 or a
recycled Openreach modem.

Someting like this?

https://www.cxr.com/en/produits/sfp-vdsl-238.html

--
Graham J
Old April 23rd 20, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
A. Non Eyemouse

On 23/04/2020 20:42, Graham J wrote:
A. non Eyemouse wrote:

Does anybody have any experience or know of availability of SFPs with
built-in VDSL modems? There was some talk on the Mikrotik forum and
the RevK blog going back a couple of years but I can't find any UK
suppliers showing them available.

I have an installation where I need to use a Mikrotik router and this
would be a tidier solution than having to bolt on a Vigor 130 or a
recycled Openreach modem.

Someting like this?

https://www.cxr.com/en/produits/sfp-vdsl-238.html

Yes, exactly those. Not made it across the Channel yet though.

--
Mouse.
Where Morse meets House.
Old April 23rd 20, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

A. non Eyemouse wrote:

Graham J wrote:

A. non Eyemouse wrote:

Does anybody have any experience or know of availability of SFPs with
built-in VDSL modems?

https://www.cxr.com/en/produits/sfp-vdsl-238.html

Neat. GPON SFPs for FTTP caught my eye a few weeks ago.

Yes, exactly those. Not made it across the Channel yet though.

Near enough, surely?

https://www.reichelt.com/gb/en/mini-gbic-vdsl2-allnet-all4781v-p239043.html
Old April 24th 20, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 23/04/2020 21:25, Andy Burns wrote:
A. non Eyemouse wrote:

Graham J wrote:

A. non Eyemouse wrote:

Does anybody have any experience or know of availability of SFPs
with built-in VDSL modems?

https://www.cxr.com/en/produits/sfp-vdsl-238.html

Neat.* GPON SFPs for FTTP caught my eye a few weeks ago.

Yes, exactly those. Not made it across the Channel yet though.

Near enough, surely?

https://www.reichelt.com/gb/en/mini-gbic-vdsl2-allnet-all4781v-p239043.html

I don't see how they can be a good choice.

No room for a properly rated isolation transformer and surge protection.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).
Old April 24th 20, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 24/04/2020 00:06, Brian Gregory wrote:
Near enough, surely?

https://www.reichelt.com/gb/en/mini-gbic-vdsl2-allnet-all4781v-p239043.html

I don't see how they can be a good choice.

No room for a properly rated isolation transformer and surge protection.

That one's data sheet says "Up to 20 Mbps upstream / 50 Mbps downstream"
which is, at least potentially, rather disappointing.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).
Old April 24th 20, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Brian Gregory wrote:
On 24/04/2020 00:06, Brian Gregory wrote:
Near enough, surely?

https://www.reichelt.com/gb/en/mini-gbic-vdsl2-allnet-all4781v-p239043.html

Oh, interesting...

I don't see how they can be a good choice.

No room for a properly rated isolation transformer and surge protection.

That one's data sheet says "Up to 20 Mbps upstream / 50 Mbps downstream"
which is, at least potentially, rather disappointing.

It appears that might be because that's what you get over VDSL2 in Germany.
There is apparently some firmware to do 100/40, but its sync is unstable:
https://forum.turris.cz/t/user-exper...bic-vdsl2/7062

There's a variety of other ones around that might be more stable.

Theo
Old April 24th 20, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Theo wrote:
There's a variety of other ones around that might be more stable.

Looks like someone got one working on Sky:
https://forum.turris.cz/t/vdsl-sfp-bridge-modem/1296/35

and there's a Windows tool called DSLMonitor Lite for getting stats out of
it. They all seem to be the Metanoia MT-V5311 in disguise.

Theo
Old April 24th 20, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
A. Non Eyemouse

On 24/04/2020 00:06, Brian Gregory wrote:

No room for a properly rated isolation transformer and surge protection.

Good point. I'll take the cover off my Openreach modem and see what's in
there in terms of protection.

--
Mouse.
Where Morse meets House.
Old April 24th 20, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
A. Non Eyemouse

On 24/04/2020 17:23, Theo wrote:
Theo wrote:
There's a variety of other ones around that might be more stable.

Looks like someone got one working on Sky:
https://forum.turris.cz/t/vdsl-sfp-bridge-modem/1296/35

and there's a Windows tool called DSLMonitor Lite for getting stats out of
it. They all seem to be the Metanoia MT-V5311 in disguise.

So realistically it doesn't appear to be mature enough technology for UK
VDSl at present then. Looks like I'll have to park the idea and carry on
with the 2nd white box.

--
Mouse.
Where Morse meets House.