VPN performance question

Old May 7th 20, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

Default VPN performance question

On 07/05/2020 12:31, Peter wrote:

Brian Gregory wrote

On 05/05/2020 21:27, Peter wrote:
Any secure comms link is vulnerable to a man in the middle attack,
unless it uses keys issued by a mutually trusted 3rd party.

What about a properly implemented Diffie-Hellman key exchange?

How can you KNOW the party you are talking to is the one you think you
are talking to?

If I send you my public key, how do you know it came from me, rather
than somebody emailing you from a forged From: address?

So, IOW, you have to trust somebody...

Easy. Send it the old fashioned way on a disc in the post. Oops, people
don't have CD/DVD drives in their machines any more, what a pity, how
sad :-(

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old May 7th 20, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

MissRiaElaine wrote:

[snip]

Easy. Send it the old fashioned way on a disc in the post. Oops, people
don't have CD/DVD drives in their machines any more, what a pity, how
sad :-(

Homing pigeon with USB stick?

--
Graham J
Old May 7th 20, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 07/05/2020 20:18, Graham J wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:

[snip]

Easy. Send it the old fashioned way on a disc in the post. Oops,
people don't have CD/DVD drives in their machines any more, what a
pity, how sad :-(

Homing pigeon with USB stick?

Nah, they hang out with seagulls around here and have learnt the trick
of crapping on your head...

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old May 7th 20, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 07/05/2020 12:31, Peter wrote:

Brian Gregory wrote

On 05/05/2020 21:27, Peter wrote:
Any secure comms link is vulnerable to a man in the middle attack,
unless it uses keys issued by a mutually trusted 3rd party.

What about a properly implemented Diffie-Hellman key exchange?

How can you KNOW the party you are talking to is the one you think you
are talking to?

If I send you my public key, how do you know it came from me, rather
than somebody emailing you from a forged From: address?

So, IOW, you have to trust somebody...

Actually in the case you described you set up both ends so you would
know both private keys and could reasonably assume nobody trying to
intercept or man in the middle you would know either of them.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).