Boredom relief: Guacamole

Old May 5th 20, 02:13 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Adrian Caspersz

Default Boredom relief: Guacamole

No, I haven't gone for the fridge and tripped out on cheese ...

I heavily use remote desktop for access to a lot of things, bringing
screens (and sometimes individual applications) from multiple PC's
across to one machine for comfortable working without mucking about with
KVM switches. And following a desire to centralise some of the remote
desktop client configurations, hit upon the idea of creating a secured
remote desktop gateway server accessible throughout me network.

This one.

https://guacamole.apache.org/

Completely client-less using HTML5!

I'm still rubbing my knee when I fell off my chair!

It runs on Linux, I've got it in a few docker containers. Possibly fine
on a raspberry pi, though haven't tried.

Thinking a good use case for this, is accessing your home desktop from
somewhere else where they have locked down your ability to locally run
teamviewer, logmein etc. Obviously you'll have to sort out the security,
routing etc and it's a teensy bit laggy, but, er, wow ....

:-)

--
Adrian C