W10 L2TP question

Old May 7th 20, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

Default W10 L2TP question

On 07/05/2020 10:20, Graham J wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

[snip]

The two laptops are clearly behaving very differently.* But I can't see
any difference between them.

Any ideas?

TIA

--
Graham J

Is one W10 Pro and the other W10 Home?* Some of the better network
security features are only available in the Pro version.

Just checked: both laptops run Windows 10 Home.* Only difference is
version number, despite both claiming to be fully up to date

Judy: Windows 10 Build 1909 version 18363.778 - this one works

Simon: Windows 10 Build 1909 version 18363.815 - this one fails.

I've now established there are two other Windows 10 Home PCs with Build
1909 version 18363.778 that also work correctly.

So the difference appears to be caused by version 18363.815 so I will
see if I can find one showing that version number.

Googling for

Windows 10 Build 1909 version 18363.815 breaks L2TP dial-in VPN

... doesn't bring up anything useful.

This is a bit elderly but might be helpful.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-409358783377

This is a bit newer but doesn't mention L2TP specifically

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...date-kb4550945

It might be appropriate to ask on one of the Microsoft forums. They (MS)
never admit to problems but other users might be able to help you there.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old May 7th 20, 12:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

brightside wrote:

[snip]

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...date-kb4550945
shows what was updated by .815 from .778

.778 was released 14 APL 2020 and .815 was released 21 APL 2020

There is a 'fix' released for vpn in .815, but vpn is a mystery to me
but maybe the update means something to you.

Both versions were tested using a 4G internet connection. I will find
out whether version .815 can be tested at another site where there's
ADSL or VDSL.

The text in the link is not very informative, but only refers to
"notifications" so on the face of it, not relevant.

--
Graham J
Old May 7th 20, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Martin Brown wrote:

[snip]

This is a bit elderly but might be helpful.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-409358783377

The test environment is the same for both working and non-working
machines. There's no evidence that the fix at

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/926179/how-to-configure-an-l2tp-ipsec-server-behind-a-nat-t-device-in-windows

.... has been applied to all the machines that work - unless done so
automatically as part of an update

This is a bit newer but doesn't mention L2TP specifically

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...date-kb4550945

Seen this already - am investigating the 4G issue, but the test

Old May 7th 20, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
grinch

On 06/05/2020 14:44, Graham J wrote:
Dial-in user: Type = L2TP, IPSec policy = None
Username & Password.

Does the above mean that the router is setup to use L2TP with no
encryption and that is what the working laptop is doing ?

The non working is definitely trying to use IPsec and failing ,which is
what you would expect if the above is true.

I always start from the bottom with this type of issue . Get the
connectivity working then add the encryption afterwards. I am not
advocating using it without encryption though.

Also make sure the users are setup on the router correctly,but the
connectivity wont work without this.

Draytek advocate SSL VPN tunnels

https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/5330
Old May 7th 20, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
brightside

My machiOn Thu, 7 May 2020 12:59:31 +0100, Graham J
wrote:

brightside wrote:

[snip]

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...date-kb4550945
shows what was updated by .815 from .778

.778 was released 14 APL 2020 and .815 was released 21 APL 2020

There is a 'fix' released for vpn in .815, but vpn is a mystery to me
but maybe the update means something to you.

Both versions were tested using a 4G internet connection. I will find
out whether version .815 can be tested at another site where there's
ADSL or VDSL.

The text in the link is not very informative, but only refers to
"notifications" so on the face of it, not relevant.

PC here not laptop but at .815.

My reply to address is valid. Mail me.

--
brightyside S9
Old May 7th 20, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

grinch wrote:
On 06/05/2020 14:44, Graham J wrote:
Dial-in user: Type = L2TP, IPSec policy = None
Username & Password.

Does the above mean that the router is setup to use L2TP with no
encryption and that is what the working laptop is doing* ?

Correct, that is how router is set up.

The working laptop communicates with the router. Winver reports Version
1909 18363.778

The non working is definitely trying to use IPsec and failing, which is
what you would expect if the above is true.

Given that the configuration of the non-working laptop is identical to
that of the working laptop, apart from a difference in build number:
Version 1909 18363.815 - why is it trying to use IPSec?

I always start from the bottom with this type of issue . Get the
connectivity working then add the encryption afterwards. I am not
advocating using it without encryption though.

Fair comment

Also make sure the users are setup on the router correctly, but the
connectivity wont work without this.

It's the same user for both laptops - for the purpose of testing.

--
Graham J
Old May 8th 20, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
grinch

On 07/05/2020 14:17, Graham J wrote:
grinch wrote:
[...]

Ok erm, I would use the Draytek provided VPN software.

What limited experience of windows and consumer grade network hardware I
have had tells me things work better with manufactures software.

Windows always knows best and a lot of the time that is the main issue.

I have 2 Draytek AP's on my network ( bridge) because they would not
play nice with a Cisco one and they kept dropping out. Even though they
should all work together as they support the same wireless protocols.