Powerline brands to avoid?

Old May 14th 20, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flop

Default Powerline brands to avoid?

On 14/05/2020 14:47, Martin Brown wrote:
On 14/05/2020 14:28, Chris wrote:

My daughter is being moved to WFH with a work supplied PC in two days.
Her room is a fair distance from the router meaning that wifi may not
be reliable enough - although she streams films all the time. So am
considering powerline rather than run ethernet cables through the
house and down a floor.

Given the short notice I don't have time to consider what is best,
only what to avoid. So are there any brands to definitely avoid?

Argos are local and have TP-Link pass-through ones in stock. Reasonable?
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9156900

They look like a newer 600Mbps version of the 300M ones I have had for
ages.

Never had any bother with them. Basically plug and play wired equivalent
but without having to run any physical wire. Mine actually works at a
reduced speed across two independent ring mains of different
distribution boards one for the extension and one for the main house. I
didn't really expect it to work that well but was pleasantly surprised.

The link speed to the extension is still way faster then my ADSL
internet service at 5Mbps so browsing and zoom are fine even there.
Wifi struggles to get signal through some of my thicker walls.

Very similar situation; router on house circuit and computer in granny
annexe on separate rings.

Plus: good speed (house 30Mbps, annexe 25Mbps). Easy to set up.

Minus: drops occasionally. Remember to use sockets which are easily
accessible. Power off, power on resets every time.

--

Flop

Truly the Good Lord gave us computers that we might learn patience
Old May 14th 20, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_3_]

Flop wrote:
[...]

I have some, and they work most of the time, and are fine for delivering
data to the Sky box (which downloads to the hard disk rather than streams).
The problem I've noticed is that some appliances in the house can kill it.
The electric treadmill (nothing to do with me!) in the garage stopped it
dead, to the point that I installed an in-line filter in its mains lead,
which fixed it. Bit like the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi that dies every time the
microwave oven is turned on. 5 GHz is just fine. I have one end in a 4 way
power strip, so that isn't a real problem, unless the strip has an
integrated filter. The power line setup speed tests at around 17 Mbit/sec,
whereas the 5 GHz Wi-Fi pulls the full 200 Mbit/sec from my VM connection.
If the computer is to be used for video or voice conferencing I'd run ping
-t 1.1.1.1 from a command prompt for a while and see if there are
significant blocks of dropped packets. This would indicate things on the
mains circuit that are injecting noise from time to time. Drop outs don't
really matter that much for email or web browsing, but are really annoying
for real time stuff.

Old May 14th 20, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY[_2_]

"David Rance" wrote in message
Never had any bother with them. Basically plug and play wired equivalent
but without having to run any physical wire. Mine actually works at a
reduced speed across two independent ring mains of different distribution
boards one for the extension and one for the main house. I didn't really
expect it to work that well but was pleasantly surprised.

That answers a question I was going to ask. I have exactly the same
situation with a granny annex with its own distribution board.

So how far does the signal go through the power cables. Does it go beyond
the incoming mains cable to the house. If not, what stops it?

We have a house which was built in two phases, each with its own "fuse box",
though both fed from the same meter. I tried powerline. Connection speed and
reliability dropped off dramatically when I moved once of the devices from a
socket on one fuse box to a socket on the other. Mind you, it also dropped
quite a bit as I moved one device further from the other even on the same
fuse box. I forget the precise details but it was something like 200 Mbps
for devices in adjacent sockets of a double-socket, falling to about 50 Mbps
when they were a couple of rooms apart, and to about 3 Mbps with frequent
dropouts and "no signal" reported when one device was as close as possible
to the other but on the different fuse box.

My understanding is that the electricity meter is usually the thing which
blocks powerline signals from getting out of the house. Probably the coils
in an old-fashioned rotating meter will do that. I'm not sure about modern
electronic meters.

Old May 14th 20, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

I had needed to get broadband down to my shed so I got a pair of the TPL
4010 non-plugthrough units - 24.99 I think from Expensive World. I put
one on my downstairs ring right next to the router and the other in the
shed.

To get from source to end the signal has to pass through the downstairs
ring to the power box, through the power box to the meter common point,
out to second power box, through about 3m of power cable into a 1.5mm
SWA* cable to the shed, through the shed power box and out over about 4m
of power cable to the destination socket. When I tested it my incoming
was around 56Mb/s and it was coming out at the other end at 37Mb/s which
I consider to be quite good, certainly fast enough for any domestic
needs. [*SWA = steel wire armoured]

My house has older wiring where I have a Wylex box with MCBs of the
house rings, a MEM fuse box for the immersion heater (which we rarely
use having an Aga for hot water) and which now feeds the shed, and a box
with 2xMCB and an RCD in the shed.

As was said by someone else you MUST plug the units directly into wall
sockets. If you use a multiblock extension lead your speed will drop
like a stone - indeed if they will work at all!

Woody

Old May 14th 20, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY[_2_]

Woody" wrote in message
As was said by someone else you MUST plug the units directly into wall
sockets. If you use a multiblock extension lead your speed will drop like
a stone - indeed if they will work at all!

What is it about multiblock extension leads which affects powerline speed so
drastically? I can imagine that ones which have surge protection components
might filter HF (*), but simple, non-surge-protected ones have problems as
well. Is there something about the cable used, or is it the multi-socket
aspect?

(*) Either by blocking with an inductor in series or shorting out with a
capacitor in parallel.

Old May 14th 20, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_3_]

NY wrote:
Woody" wrote in message
As was said by someone else you MUST plug the units directly into wall
sockets. If you use a multiblock extension lead your speed will drop like
a stone - indeed if they will work at all!

What is it about multiblock extension leads which affects powerline speed so
drastically? I can imagine that ones which have surge protection components
might filter HF (*), but simple, non-surge-protected ones have problems as
well. Is there something about the cable used, or is it the multi-socket
aspect?

(*) Either by blocking with an inductor in series or shorting out with a
capacitor in parallel.

Mine works just fine on an extension block.

Old May 14th 20, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

tim... wrote:

[snip]

No, they're all as bad as each other.* I've never known any stay
working for longer than about 2 years.

what makes them fail after 2 years

My impression from the staining on the plastic housings was that they
were overheating.

--
Graham J
Old May 14th 20, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Loades[_2_]

On 14/05/2020 18:20, Tweed wrote:
NY wrote:
Woody" wrote in message
As was said by someone else you MUST plug the units directly into wall
sockets. If you use a multiblock extension lead your speed will drop like
a stone - indeed if they will work at all!

What is it about multiblock extension leads which affects powerline speed so
drastically? I can imagine that ones which have surge protection components
might filter HF (*), but simple, non-surge-protected ones have problems as
well. Is there something about the cable used, or is it the multi-socket
aspect?

(*) Either by blocking with an inductor in series or shorting out with a
capacitor in parallel.

Mine works just fine on an extension block.

Ditto mine which is plugged into an extension block which in turn is
plugged into one of my UPS's outlets.

Malcolm
Old May 14th 20, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
critcher wrote:

Chris wrote:

We'll see how it goes tonight.

try to make sure there is a pass through socket

And avoid plugging them into 4-way strips

surely that's the point

you need the pass-thought to plug your 4 way strip into

:-)

tim

Old May 14th 20, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 14 May 2020 18:10:58 UTC+1, NY wrote:
Woody" wrote in message
As was said by someone else you MUST plug the units directly into wall
sockets. If you use a multiblock extension lead your speed will drop like
a stone - indeed if they will work at all!

What is it about multiblock extension leads which affects powerline speed so
drastically? I can imagine that ones which have surge protection components
might filter HF (*), but simple, non-surge-protected ones have problems as
well. Is there something about the cable used, or is it the multi-socket
aspect?

Splitting the signal, so less of it at the adapter.

Try and plug both adapters into sockets directly on the same ring, not different rings or a spur.

If they are not on the same ring then the signal has to pass through your consumer unit and mains cables are neither shielded nor twisted.