Powerline brands to avoid?

Old May 14th 20, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

Default Powerline brands to avoid?

On 14/05/2020 16:14, David Rance wrote:
So how far does the signal go through the power cables. Does it go
beyond the incoming mains cable to the house. If not, what stops it?

One of my colleagues in a shared house just tracked down his slow
network to the way his powerline had paired to one in the house next door...

Andy
Old May 14th 20, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

tim... wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
critcher wrote:

Chris wrote:

We'll see how it goes tonight.

try to make sure there is a pass through socket

And avoid plugging them into 4-way strips

surely that's the point

you need the pass-thought to plug your 4 way strip into

Exactly. I can't imagine why anyone would buy without the pass-through.

Old May 14th 20, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Chris wrote:

My daughter is being moved to WFH with a work supplied PC in two days.
Her room is a fair distance from the router meaning that wifi may not be
reliable enough - although she streams films all the time. So am
considering powerline rather than run ethernet cables through the house
and down a floor.

Given the short notice I don't have time to consider what is best, only
what to avoid. So are there any brands to definitely avoid?

Argos are local and have TP-Link pass-through ones in stock. Reasonable?
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9156900

Just a follow-up.

Bought the above and all is working - after dealing with a dodgy Mac
Ethernet dongle. Not tested the internal throughput, but it's getting full
broadband speed so that's all I can ask for.

Thanks for all the replies.

Old May 15th 20, 03:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 14/05/2020 19:29, Malcolm Loades wrote:
Ditto mine which is plugged into an extension block which in turn is
plugged into one of my UPS's outlets.

Malcolm

You're making it push it's signals through a UPS?

Are you completely nuts?

--
Brian Gregory (in England).
Old May 15th 20, 08:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Layman

On 14/05/20 14:56, Graham J wrote:
Chris wrote:

My daughter is being moved to WFH with a work supplied PC in two days.
Her room is a fair distance from the router meaning that wifi may not be
reliable enough - although she streams films all the time. So am
considering powerline rather than run ethernet cables through the house
and down a floor.

Given the short notice I don't have time to consider what is best, only
what to avoid. So are there any brands to definitely avoid?

Argos are local and have TP-Link pass-through ones in stock. Reasonable?
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9156900

No, they're all as bad as each other. I've never known any stay working
for longer than about 2 years.

In some circumstances they work well but if you're unlucky ...

FWIW I've had a couple of non-feedthrough On-Networks 200MHz powerline
adapters working without problem for over 7 years. One is plugged into a
bog-standard 4-way extension lead too.

--

Jeff
Old May 15th 20, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Loades[_2_]

On 15/05/2020 03:24, Brian Gregory wrote:
On 14/05/2020 19:29, Malcolm Loades wrote:
Ditto mine which is plugged into an extension block which in turn is
plugged into one of my UPS's outlets.

Malcolm

You're making it push it's signals through a UPS?

Are you completely nuts?

Hadn't even thought of it! I have no skills/understanding of
electronics. So, that makes me completely nuts?

It was the handiest empty socket under my desk. Other end is in my
teenage son's bedroom and he streams movies, plays on his Xbox etc for
what seems like 24/7 without complaint.

It doesn't appear to be broken, should I mend it?

Malcolm
Old May 15th 20, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

Malcolm Loades wrote:
On 15/05/2020 03:24, Brian Gregory wrote:
On 14/05/2020 19:29, Malcolm Loades wrote:
Ditto mine which is plugged into an extension block which in turn is
plugged into one of my UPS's outlets.

Malcolm

You're making it push it's signals through a UPS?

Are you completely nuts?

Hadn't even thought of it!* I have no skills/understanding of
electronics.* So, that makes me completely nuts?

No, just criminally incompetent.

The instructions that came with the product would have explained why
connecting through a UPS is not a good idea. The purpose of intructions
is to inform those who have no technical knowledge, and it behoves you
to read them.

Even those of us who are knowledgeable about the subject should still
read the instructions, because the manufacturer may have a perverse
interpretation of the circumstances and have designed the product in a
confusing way, e.g. the American "up = on" convention for power switches.

It was the handiest empty socket under my desk.* Other end is in my
teenage son's bedroom and he streams movies, plays on his Xbox etc for
what seems like 24/7 without complaint.

It doesn't appear to be broken, should I mend it?

I'm very surprised that it works.

Some of these devices have a management facility where you can see the
actual speed that they claim to be communicating at. The instructions
that came with the product should explain how to achieve this. Or you
might be able to Google for the make and model number.

But if the performance appears to be good, then leave it. Having said
that, it may be performing abysmally but your son hasn't thought to
complain because he has no expectation that it could be any better.

In my experience if something is working when an understanding of the
mechanism says it should not, then there may be something else happening
that you don't expect. Are you sure of your facts? Is it really
plugged into the UPS?

Some models of UPS are actually idle until the power fails, and only
then switch the load to battery powered invertor: so until then there
might be quite a good path for the signals through to the wall socket.

If something is working by luck rather than by design, don't be
surprised if it fails.

--
Graham J
Old May 15th 20, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade[_3_]

On 14/05/2020 17:13, NY wrote:
"David Rance" wrote in message
Never had any bother with them. Basically plug and play wired
equivalent but without having to run any physical wire. Mine actually
works at a reduced speed across two independent ring mains of
different distribution boards one for the extension and one for the
main house. I didn't really expect it to work that well but was
pleasantly surprised.

That answers a question I was going to ask. I have exactly the same
situation with a granny annex with its own distribution board.

So how far does the signal go through the power cables. Does it go
beyond the incoming mains cable to the house. If not, what stops it?

We have a house which was built in two phases, each with its own "fuse
box", though both fed from the same meter. I tried powerline. Connection
speed and reliability dropped off dramatically when I moved once of the
devices from a socket on one fuse box to a socket on the other. Mind
you, it also dropped quite a bit as I moved one device further from the
other even on the same fuse box. I forget the precise details but it was
something like 200 Mbps for devices in adjacent sockets of a
double-socket, falling to about 50 Mbps when they were a couple of rooms
apart, and to about 3 Mbps with frequent dropouts and "no signal"
reported when one device was as close as possible to the other but on
the different fuse box.

My understanding is that the electricity meter is usually the thing
which blocks powerline signals from getting out of the house. Probably
the coils in an old-fashioned rotating meter will do that. I'm not sure
about modern electronic meters.

The latest change in practice has seem an increased use of RCBO's

https://www.consumerunitworld.co.uk/...work-330-c.asp

rather than group several circuits through MCBs then a shared ELCB.
This reduces nucance tripping but I wonder if it reduces the performance
of mains ethernet..

Dave

Old May 15th 20, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Thu, 14 May 2020 20:38:14 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

We'll see how it goes tonight.

try to make sure there is a pass through socket

And avoid plugging them into 4-way strips

surely that's the point

you need the pass-thought to plug your 4 way strip into

Exactly. I can't imagine why anyone would buy without the pass-through.

If you ever have a connection issue that you think might be resolved,
or at least partially diagnosed, by rebooting one or more of the
powerline devices, you can't do this without also rebooting whatever
is plugged into them. In my case that's either my main computer system
in the living room, or the modem/router in the hall. If I rebooted all
of that to fix a problem I'd never know what the problem actually was.

Rod.
Old May 15th 20, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Thu, 14 May 2020 21:22:45 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

So how far does the signal go through the power cables. Does it go
beyond the incoming mains cable to the house. If not, what stops it?

One of my colleagues in a shared house just tracked down his slow
network to the way his powerline had paired to one in the house next door...

That's why they have serial numbers and why Netgear provide a software
application to assign encryption keys to them, just like wi-fi.

Of course, you've got to take the trouble to set them up properly....

Rod.