BroadbanterBanter

BroadbanterBanter (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/uk-telecom-broadband-uk-broadband/)
-   -   Powerline brands to avoid? (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/45116-powerline-brands-avoid.html)

Chris May 14th 20 02:28 PM

Powerline brands to avoid?

My daughter is being moved to WFH with a work supplied PC in two days.
Her room is a fair distance from the router meaning that wifi may not be
reliable enough - although she streams films all the time. So am
considering powerline rather than run ethernet cables through the house
and down a floor.

Given the short notice I don't have time to consider what is best, only
what to avoid. So are there any brands to definitely avoid?

Argos are local and have TP-Link pass-through ones in stock. Reasonable?
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9156900

Martin Brown[_2_] May 14th 20 02:47 PM

Powerline brands to avoid?

On 14/05/2020 14:28, Chris wrote:

My daughter is being moved to WFH with a work supplied PC in two days.
Her room is a fair distance from the router meaning that wifi may not be
reliable enough - although she streams films all the time. So am
considering powerline rather than run ethernet cables through the house
and down a floor.

Given the short notice I don't have time to consider what is best, only
what to avoid. So are there any brands to definitely avoid?

Argos are local and have TP-Link pass-through ones in stock. Reasonable?
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9156900

They look like a newer 600Mbps version of the 300M ones I have had for
ages.

Never had any bother with them. Basically plug and play wired equivalent
but without having to run any physical wire. Mine actually works at a
reduced speed across two independent ring mains of different
distribution boards one for the extension and one for the main house. I
didn't really expect it to work that well but was pleasantly surprised.

The link speed to the extension is still way faster then my ADSL
internet service at 5Mbps so browsing and zoom are fine even there.
Wifi struggles to get signal through some of my thicker walls.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Graham J[_3_] May 14th 20 02:56 PM

Powerline brands to avoid?

Chris wrote:

My daughter is being moved to WFH with a work supplied PC in two days.
Her room is a fair distance from the router meaning that wifi may not be
reliable enough - although she streams films all the time. So am
considering powerline rather than run ethernet cables through the house
and down a floor.

Given the short notice I don't have time to consider what is best, only
what to avoid. So are there any brands to definitely avoid?

Argos are local and have TP-Link pass-through ones in stock. Reasonable?
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9156900

No, they're all as bad as each other. I've never known any stay working
for longer than about 2 years.

In some circumstances they work well but if you're unlucky ...

.... this time of year just drop a long Ethernet patch cable out of the
window and down to her room and leave the windows open a crack.

--
Graham J

tim... May 14th 20 03:05 PM

Powerline brands to avoid?

"Graham J" wrote in message
Chris wrote:

My daughter is being moved to WFH with a work supplied PC in two days.
Her room is a fair distance from the router meaning that wifi may not be
reliable enough - although she streams films all the time. So am
considering powerline rather than run ethernet cables through the house
and down a floor.

Given the short notice I don't have time to consider what is best, only
what to avoid. So are there any brands to definitely avoid?

Argos are local and have TP-Link pass-through ones in stock. Reasonable?
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9156900

No, they're all as bad as each other. I've never known any stay working
for longer than about 2 years.

what makes them fail after 2 years

tim

Chris May 14th 20 03:26 PM

Powerline brands to avoid?

On 14/05/2020 14:56, Graham J wrote:
Chris wrote:

My daughter is being moved to WFH with a work supplied PC in two days.
Her room is a fair distance from the router meaning that wifi may not
be reliable enough - although she streams films all the time. So am
considering powerline rather than run ethernet cables through the
house and down a floor.

Given the short notice I don't have time to consider what is best,
only what to avoid. So are there any brands to definitely avoid?

Argos are local and have TP-Link pass-through ones in stock. Reasonable?
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9156900

No, they're all as bad as each other.* I've never known any stay working
for longer than about 2 years.

Unlikely to need them that long...

In some circumstances they work well but if you're unlucky ...

... this time of year just drop a long Ethernet patch cable out of the
window and down to her room and leave the windows open a crack.

Urgh!

Chris May 14th 20 03:27 PM

Powerline brands to avoid?

On 14/05/2020 14:47, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Thanks. Ordered a set. We'll see how it goes tonight.

Bob Eager[_5_] May 14th 20 03:33 PM

Powerline brands to avoid?

On Thu, 14 May 2020 14:56:03 +0100, Graham J wrote:

... this time of year just drop a long Ethernet patch cable out of the
window and down to her room and leave the windows open a crack.

A department at my PPoE did that, but also over the roof (they had
expanded their UNIX system which had been bought turnkey, and couldn't
afford to pay more).

OK until there was a lightning strike.

That workload was done on Excel for the next year.

critcher[_3_] May 14th 20 04:04 PM

Powerline brands to avoid?

On 14/05/2020 15:27, Chris wrote:
[...]

try to make sure there is a pass through socket and investigate whether
you want the ethernet sockets on the top or bottom of the adapter.

Andy Burns[_5_] May 14th 20 04:13 PM

Powerline brands to avoid?

critcher wrote:

Chris wrote:

We'll see how it goes tonight.

try to make sure there is a pass through socket

And avoid plugging them into 4-way strips

David Rance[_2_] May 14th 20 04:14 PM

Powerline brands to avoid?

On Thu, 14 May 2020 14:47:22 Martin Brown wrote:

[...]

That answers a question I was going to ask. I have exactly the same
situation with a granny annex with its own distribution board.

So how far does the signal go through the power cables. Does it go
beyond the incoming mains cable to the house. If not, what stops it?

David