BB Providers - ADSL to FTTP

Old June 23rd 20, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David[_5_]

Default BB Providers - ADSL to FTTP

Currently on ADSL copper wires from Exchange but lots of activity to put
in FTTP from Exchange.

Plusnet do not do FTTP so Ill not be renewing with them this year and I'd
be interested to know what experience anyone has with:

A and A
Zen
Aquila

Initially on ADSL but then to upgrade to FTTP (probably within a contract
period but staying with the same provider.)

Thanks for any help/experiences you care to share - including whether or
not existing phone line number can be ported to them from Plus.
Old June 23rd 20, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

David wrote:
Currently on ADSL copper wires from Exchange but lots of activity to put
in FTTP from Exchange.

Plusnet do not do FTTP so Ill not be renewing with them this year and I'd
be interested to know what experience anyone has with:

A and A
Zen
Aquila

Initially on ADSL but then to upgrade to FTTP (probably within a contract
period but staying with the same provider.)

Thanks for any help/experiences you care to share - including whether or
not existing phone line number can be ported to them from Plus.

A&A are excellent, if a little expensive. Very knowledgeable; if you
ring in with a technical problem you probably get to speak to the same
person that you talked to previously.

Zen are Very Good. If there is a widespread problem they might take up
to 10 minutes to answer your call; and again they are very knowlegeable.
They are also happy for you to use your own router rather than insist
on the one they provide (in general - I don't know about FTTP).
Sensible billing, clearly understandable, especially if you have line
rental and calls - a marked improvement on BT for example. No knowledge
of how they implement calls over FTTP and whether they can take over
your existing landline number. But you can ring and ask: they will
understand the question.

Aquila - no knowledge of them.

Where are you that you can get FTTP and why can't I have it?

--
Graham J
Old June 23rd 20, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David[_5_]

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 12:58:48 +0100, Graham J wrote:

David wrote:
[...]

Thanks Graham - helpful feedback there.

Aquila - no knowledge of them.

Probably 'cos I got the name wrong - *Aquiss*

Where are you that you can get FTTP and why can't I have it?

We're in North Yorkshire - I'm sure that you'll be welcomed to the County
when you move to get your FTTP :-)
Old June 23rd 20, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

Graham J wrote:

Zen are Very Good. If there is a widespread problem they might take
up to 10 minutes to answer your call; and again they are very
knowlegeable. They are also happy for you to use your own router
rather than insist on the one they provide (in general - I don't know
about FTTP). Sensible billing, clearly understandable, especially if
you have line rental and calls - a marked improvement on BT for
example. No knowledge of how they implement calls over FTTP and
whether they can take over your existing landline number. But you
can ring and ask: they will understand the question.

I have nothing but good to say about Zen, they are great. And I twice
had lines transferred from BT to Zen, with no problem, and I wasn't even
there, it just happened.
Line costs have remained unchanged for several years, so different from
the BT three-card-trick method of billing.
And they speak English (well, Lancashire).

--
Davey.
Old June 23rd 20, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Graham J wrote:

Zen are Very Good. If there is a widespread problem they might take up
to 10 minutes to answer your call; and again they are very knowlegeable.
They are also happy for you to use your own router rather than insist
on the one they provide (in general - I don't know about FTTP).
Sensible billing, clearly understandable, especially if you have line
rental and calls - a marked improvement on BT for example. No knowledge
of how they implement calls over FTTP and whether they can take over
your existing landline number. But you can ring and ask: they will
understand the question.

I have FTTP from Zen and they use a dual cable with copper for the
phone.

-- Richard
Old June 23rd 20, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David[_5_]

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 20:08:06 +0100, Davey wrote:

I have nothing but good to say about Zen, they are great.

And they speak English (well, Lancashire).

and now you've spoilt it. They are on the wrong side of the Pennines ;-)

Thanks Davey. I'll give them a call.
Old June 26th 20, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 23/06/2020 13:38, David wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 12:58:48 +0100, Graham J wrote:

Where are you that you can get FTTP and why can't I have it?

We're in North Yorkshire - I'm sure that you'll be welcomed to the County
when you move to get your FTTP :-)

It's Grim Oop North...

We got it in Cambridgeshire, out in the sticks.

When we bought our house BT were promising fast broadband in November. I
could wait a couple of months... except November came, and it slipped a
year. Slipped a year. Slipped a year...

In the end one of the guys in the village started looking into an
alternate system, and possibly because they were being faced with the
loss of every internet contract in the village BT suddenly managed to
provide it.

Some people only have FTTC, but we're too far from the neighbours.

Andy