Are Time Delays Typical on VOIP?

« Robustness of VoIP | - »

Old July 11th 20, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Woolley

Default Are Time Delays Typical on VOIP?

On 12/01/2020 21:00, Richmond wrote:
When I have used VOIP, or skype etc I've found time delays of a second
or so. These cause people to interrupt each other. They also occur on
mobiles to some extent. I think the landline will never die. Is there
VOIP without delays? does it require a dedicated network?

Those delays are excessive, but VoIP does have more intrinsic delays
than older systems. There is a fundamental delay of 20ms, in both
directions, just to assemble the packets.

That's enough to make echo obvious enough to require aggressive
cancellation, but not enough to otherwise cause problems on good networks.
Old July 19th 20, 12:35 PM
Ian Platt Ian Platt is offline
Junior Member

Never had any delay problems using VOIP. Have you tried connecting to a different network? It's more likely to be a problem caused by your ISP