when moving to fibre...

Old July 29th 20, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_4_]

Default when moving to fibre...

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Tuesday, 28 July 2020 16:09:21 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 11:08:29 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message

On 2020-07-23 14:23:44 +0000, tim... said:

"tim..." wrote in message
Will the old wired BB be turned off?

My Fibre is to be activated on Friday

but I've yet to receive the router

could be without a connection for the whole weekend

(Yes, booking it on a Friday was a silly idea)

Ok

Update

Bar stewards didn't dispatch it (I clicked on a button, it should
happen
automatically, but didn't! Call centre bod clicks on a button, it
should
happen automatically - but will it?)

It's going out today, so I'll have it by Monday (probably)

can't delay the switchover

10 pound credit for me to use my mobile

Another can of worms that will be

Indeed. Depending on your PAYG contract a tenner's worth of data is not
lot - 1GB tops.

I can buy a bundle.

7GB for 10 pounds

Pop to the shops and get youself a preloaded data SIM, maybe?

I haven't actually tried any shops

but Googling suggests that the better deals are by online order

and by the time that the SIM arrives, hopefully my router will have done

Just curious: how did the switch go?

I was wondering if someone was going to ask

Well the router arrived on Saturday morning

But the switchover didn't

I'm still on ADSL. (New router is nice, wiffy seems to work better than the
old one, and it also seems it will automatically reconfigure itself to fibre
when that's connected. But absolutely everything in its configuration is
behind the password protected bit - even the option to dim the panel light!)

Didn't it come with a card with the user and admin password?

I phoned up yesterday to get this sorted and an hour a half later (I really
do find this current understaffing by PN annoying - there's no need for
it!), I eventually got to speak to the man who could sort it.

and he "patronisingly" told me "we didn't promise you a date, you're just in
a queue waiting to get to the top!"

To which I said "that's not what the original confirmation email says" - It
says "you will switch on XX/XX" (I already know the equipment's in the
exchange/street cabinet - I discussed all this with the man who mended my LL
the week before, so this upgrade is a 20 minute job)

So he "in a grudging tone" said, I'll give you a special service and jump
you to the top of the queue. It should be connected, wait for it, in
another 7 days.

Jeeze

What's with the left hand not knowing what the right hand's doing.

They could have said in the first place I had to wait 14 or even 21 days,
and I would have been happy.

Instead of which, I'm a ****ed off customer fed up with waiting 30 minutes
or more for their inadequately staffed call centre, each time I need to
contact them - with a no-one's fault billing issue and a bodged repair to my
faulty LL, about 10 times in the past month.

Just wondering, is Hyperoptic available in your area?

Despite their hyperbolic claims the answer seems almost invariably to be
no - even when fibre passes right outside pavement front premises...

It's well worth getting if available. So it's worth expressing interest on
their site.

Old July 29th 20, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message

On 2020-07-23 14:23:44 +0000, tim... said:

"tim..." wrote in message
[...]

yes

it's just a PITA to type in 10 random letters

Two words: password manager.