BroadbanterBanter

BroadbanterBanter (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/uk-telecom-broadband-uk-broadband/)
-   -   when moving to fibre... (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/45127-when-moving-fibre.html)

tim... July 22nd 20 08:02 AM

when moving to fibre...

Will the old wired BB be turned off?

My Fibre is to be activated on Friday

but I've yet to receive the router

could be without a connection for the whole weekend

(Yes, booking it on a Friday was a silly idea)

Mark Carver July 22nd 20 08:06 AM

when moving to fibre...

On 22/07/2020 08:02, tim... wrote:
Will the old wired BB be turned off?

My Fibre is to be activated on Friday

What sort of fibre ? FTTC, FTTP, or Virgin ?

Graham J[_3_] July 22nd 20 08:29 AM

when moving to fibre...

tim... wrote:
Will the old wired BB be turned off?

My Fibre is to be activated on Friday

but I've yet to receive the router

could be without a connection for the whole weekend

(Yes, booking it on a Friday was a silly idea)

If it's FTTC your copper pair will be rerouted through the nearby green
cabinet to the DSLAM for the FTTC service. If your existing router will
workk with VDSL it might reboot itself and carry on.

But given that you've asked for a new router then probably your existing
router does not support VDSL.

If its FTTP then probably the calls will be rerouted to the VoIP service
supported by the new router you've asked for. The old copper-based ADSL
service may still be active, in that your old router will say on Friday
that it has sync, and the authentication server might still respond to
your login - but without knowing the exact details I'm only guessing

It might be prudent to buy a suitable router from a local shop - having
a spare can't hurt.

--
Graham J

PeeGee July 22nd 20 08:45 AM

when moving to fibre...

On 22/07/2020 08:02, tim... wrote:
Will the old wired BB be turned off?

My Fibre is to be activated on Friday

but I've yet to receive the router

could be without a connection for the whole weekend

(Yes, booking it on a Friday was a silly idea)

To not answer your question: Assuming your are changing to FTTC, is your
current modem/router
A: compatible
B: user configurable?

I have used my own modem/router for as I have never had a decent "ISP
supplied" device.

--
PeeGee

tim... July 22nd 20 10:10 AM

when moving to fibre...

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 22/07/2020 08:02, tim... wrote:
Will the old wired BB be turned off?

My Fibre is to be activated on Friday

What sort of fibre ? FTTC, FTTP, or Virgin ?

FTTC

tim... July 22nd 20 10:20 AM

when moving to fibre...

"Graham J" wrote in message
tim... wrote:
Will the old wired BB be turned off?

My Fibre is to be activated on Friday

but I've yet to receive the router

could be without a connection for the whole weekend

(Yes, booking it on a Friday was a silly idea)

If it's FTTC your copper pair will be rerouted through the nearby green
cabinet to the DSLAM for the FTTC service.

So how will the phone still work?

If your existing router will workk with VDSL it might reboot itself and
carry on.

I've been told by "the system" - it won't work

How it knows that, I have no idea.

They did supply the old router, but they can't exclude the possibility that
I have stopped using it and bought my own, can they?

I assumed that they were fundamentally different, but you are saying not.

But given that you've asked for a new router then probably your existing
router does not support VDSL.

I was told I needed a new one.

If its FTTP then probably the calls will be rerouted to the VoIP service
supported by the new router you've asked for. The old copper-based ADSL
service may still be active, in that your old router will say on Friday
that it has sync, and the authentication server might still respond to
your login - but without knowing the exact details I'm only guessing

It might be prudent to buy a suitable router from a local shop

I wouldn't know where to start - once I had found the shop, I'm, not that
stupid :-)

- having a spare can't hurt.

It can hurt my wallet

Roderick Stewart July 22nd 20 10:29 AM

when moving to fibre...

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 08:29:02 +0100, Graham J
wrote:

tim... wrote:
[...]

Search on Amazon for "ADSL/VDSL modem" and you'll find things like
this-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Co...5409027&sr=8-4

The modem part (it also contains a router and wireless access point as
per usual) can handle either ADSL or VDSL ("fibre broadband") so if
you have one like this and decide to upgrade the service, you won't
need to buy anything new, just change the settings on the day, and
will probably be without internet for an hour or so at the most.

If you're with BT, recent versions of their modem/router (or "hub" as
they call it) can already handle both systems.

Rod.

Recliner[_4_] July 22nd 20 10:52 AM

when moving to fibre...

tim... wrote:

"Graham J" wrote in message
tim... wrote:
Will the old wired BB be turned off?

My Fibre is to be activated on Friday

but I've yet to receive the router

could be without a connection for the whole weekend

(Yes, booking it on a Friday was a silly idea)

If it's FTTC your copper pair will be rerouted through the nearby green
cabinet to the DSLAM for the FTTC service.

So how will the phone still work?

The venerable copper cable to your home currently carries both voice and
data all the way from the exchange, perhaps several kilometres away. In the
new setup, the signals are split at the exchange, with voice still using
the old copper all the way. The data is sent separately over the newer
fibre cable to the roadside cabinet adjacent to the phone junction cabinet.
The two signals are then recombined and sent the last few hundred metres
over the old copper cable to your home. So your phone sees no difference.

The distance that the data has to travel over the old copper cable from the
street cabinet to your home will determine the speeds you get, as will the
condition of that cable (the insulation and junctions). So, if the cabinets
are right outside your front door, with new cable connecting you, you'll
get much higher speeds than if they're 500m away, connected by 1930s
telephone cables.

Graham J[_3_] July 22nd 20 11:30 AM

when moving to fibre...

tim... wrote:

[snip]

If it's FTTC your copper pair will be rerouted through the nearby
green cabinet to the DSLAM for the FTTC service.

So how will the phone still work?

Somebody with more patience than me has already answered that one for you.

If your existing router will workk with VDSL it might reboot itself
and carry on.

I've been told by "the system" - it won't work

How it knows that, I have no idea.

It's the safest option from their standpoint.

They did supply the old router, but they can't exclude the possibility
that I have stopped using it and bought my own, can they?

If you had bought your own you presumably would know what you had
bought, why, and whether it would support VDSL.

I assumed that they were fundamentally different, but you are saying not.

Just a bit different. Some do ADSL only, some might do VDSL only for
FTTC, some might do both ADSL and VDSL and configure themselves
automatically

[snip]

- having a spare can't hurt.

It can hurt my wallet

Having insurance can hurt your wallet but in many cases it's a good
idea. Except for business interruption insurance when Covid-19 strikes,
see:
https://www.pinsentmasons.com/out-law/news/coronavirus-fca-test-case-business-interruption-insurance
when it seems to have been no better than a chocolate fireguard!

--
Graham J

R. Mark Clayton[_2_] July 22nd 20 11:44 AM

when moving to fibre...

On 22/07/2020 08:02, tim... wrote:
Will the old wired BB be turned off?

My Fibre is to be activated on Friday

What sort of fibre ? FTTC, FTTP, or Virgin ?

FTTC

Well then it is still copper or the dire thin aluminium wires from the cabinet to your place.