Gigabit broadband: Rural households urged to claim upgrade cash

Old August 8th 20, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default Gigabit broadband: Rural households urged to claim upgrade cash

Gigabit broadband: Rural households urged to claim upgrade cash
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53693585

"The government is urging struggling rural broadband customers to apply
for cash it has set aside to pay for ultra high-speed connections.

Digital Minister Matt Warman said 70m is "still there for the taking"."

Yeahbut, the grants are 1,500 per household premises and 3,500 per
business premises, whereas, when about two years ago I last investigated
the estimated cost of FTTP for the local community, it was 5,800 per
premises, so the above grants, while certainly better than a kick in the
teeth, don't really match the scale of the problem, particularly for
rural private householders!

FTTC would be cheaper, probably about 1,000 per premises, but would
involve some recabling of the local area to go via a new cabinet, and
simply as a matter of policy, without regard to the actual circumstances
we face, BT will not do this.

Meanwhile the local landline infrastructure is still lying neglected and
vulnerable on the surface and suffering periodic physical damage as an
inevitable result, without seemingly there being a realistic way to
compell BT to maintain it properly.

So they win both ways, they neglect the existing local infrastructure
and refuse a workable plan to upgrade it.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk