Delays accessing web services

Old August 20th 20, 01:15 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.broadband
David[_4_]

Default Delays accessing web services

My PC has suddenly started pausing before loading web pages.
I would normally associate this with a network time out or long wait for a
resource.
Given that there seem to be a large number of sites invoked when a web
page loads (trackers, ad servers etc.) I wondered if there was some glue
in the network at the moment.

I know that there has been a recent large outage in London but I thought
that had been cleared.

A quick and dirty "nslookup" test seems to show that DNS is responding OK.

Hmmmm....router accessed by internal IP address is very slow; wonder if
this also looks outside the network or if something is slowing Chrome down?

In which case Avast would be the main suspect; must get around to
uninstalling it.
This is another of my long list of "Things that need doing but are likely
to take a long time and involve a world of pain."

Asking generally because I recall seeing others complaining of something
similar (but can't remember where).

Cheers

Dave R

Old August 20th 20, 01:25 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.broadband
David[_4_]

On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 12:15:00 +0000, David wrote:

[...]

Rebooted the router but things are still slow.
For example the Met Office.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest gives roughly the expected
speeds.
Not sure if latency of 31 ms is good or bad, but in general it seems to be
the initial loading of a web page which is the issue.

Cheers

Dave R

Old August 20th 20, 01:47 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.broadband
grinch

On 20/08/2020 13:25, David wrote:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 12:15:00 +0000, David wrote:

Rebooted the router but things are still slow.
For example the Met Office.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest gives roughly the expected
speeds.
Not sure if latency of 31 ms is good or bad, but in general it seems to be
the initial loading of a web page which is the issue.

Try changing your DNS server to 8.8.8.8 which is Googles if that is not
blocked by BT and your service speed improves that is your issue.

I get 14ms rtd from Zen to the metofice but it looks like a cache so
might not be accurate

ping www.metoffice.gov.uk
PING e2591.a.akamaiedge.net (104.72.171.169) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from a104-72-171-169.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com
(104.72.171.169): icmp_seq=1 ttl=58 time=14.0 ms
Old August 20th 20, 02:28 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.broadband
David[_4_]

On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 13:47:52 +0100, grinch wrote:

On 20/08/2020 13:25, David wrote:
On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 12:15:00 +0000, David wrote:

Rebooted the router but things are still slow.
For example the Met Office.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest gives roughly the expected
speeds.
Not sure if latency of 31 ms is good or bad, but in general it seems to
be the initial loading of a web page which is the issue.

Try changing your DNS server to 8.8.8.8 which is Googles if that is not
blocked by BT and your service speed improves that is your issue.

I get 14ms rtd from Zen to the metofice but it looks like a cache so
might not be accurate

ping www.metoffice.gov.uk PING e2591.a.akamaiedge.net (104.72.171.169)
56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from a104-72-171-169.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com
(104.72.171.169): icmp_seq=1 ttl=58 time=14.0 ms

DNS is already set to 8.8.8.8 in the router.

Ignore the email address, I am with VM not BT Internet.

Cheers

Dave R

Old August 20th 20, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
Tweed[_3_]

David wrote:
[...]

Pretty instant with me on VM with 1.1.1.1 as my DNS server to the met
office website. This with an iPad. Do you have any other
computer/phone/tablet you can try? That would at least narrow down where
the issue might be. I'm running an adblocker.

Old August 20th 20, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.homebuilt
David[_4_]

Default Delays accessing web services - Chrome?

On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 13:57:52 +0000, Tweed wrote:

David wrote:
[...]

At the moment it is looking like Chrome is the problem.

On this system I normally use Chrome on the main screen and Waterfox on
the second (portrait) screen to watch the rain radar and lightning.

Also allows me to log into two different accounts on the same web site.

At the moment I'm migrating my open tabs one by one from Chrome to
Waterfox and the switching between tabs and refreshing content under
Chrome is dire, but normal service in Waterfox.

Very strange.

Cheers

Dave R

Old August 20th 20, 06:27 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

David wrote:

router accessed by internal IP address is very slow;

Try rebooting it ...
Old August 20th 20, 06:43 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_3_]

David wrote:
[...]

Try a different computer ...

--