UK drops down broadband speed rankings

Old September 6th 20, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Caspersz

Default UK drops down broadband speed rankings

On 05/09/2020 13:50, David wrote:

For example I have a 200 Mb/sec VM link yet a lot of streaming sites have
the occasional spooling pause. Despite a speed test showing that the link
is running at or near 200 Mb/sec.

So saying "at this speed you could download a film in 10 seconds" is
vastly misleading and sets unrealistic expectations.

For some uses, low latency is pretty important. If your media / gaming
application is screaming for data at time sensitive moments and doesn't
get it, then it resorts to plan B and caches things that it would
require in future. i.e. it buffers.

FWIW My connection latency is below 7ms. I don't see any buffering.

--
Adrian C
Old September 6th 20, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 06/09/2020 in message Adrian
Caspersz wrote:

For some uses, low latency is pretty important. If your media / gaming
application is screaming for data at time sensitive moments and doesn't
get it, then it resorts to plan B and caches things that it would require
in future. i.e. it buffers.

Or worse you would be killed by the aliens :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks
Old September 7th 20, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Vir Campestris wrote:
I've got 70Mbps. It's enough for most things - the only thing I do often
that takes much time is downloading a 70MB firmware image from work. and
that's not exactly painful.

I could upgrade (BT are offering me gigabit, I have a fibre) but what's
the point? It would save me 10 seconds a few dozen times a day.

What I can't do is run a machine here truly on the work network because
the _latency_ is too big. We have a shared compilation system
(Icecream), and that just wouldn't work properly with a ping of 10ms or so.

Three things:

1) 'Single threaded' bandwidth is often limited by the task in hand. But if
you have multiple users their bandwidth compounds - multiple people on Zoom
calls or streaming their own video. Given it's messy to get extra lines
installed, it's better to get a higher bandwidth in your existing
connection. Some of those users might be 'things' (for example, security
cameras sending video to the cloud for analysis) that aren't people.

2) Often the bottleneck is on *upload* not download speed. Suppose you're on
VM's 100Mbps package - you only get 10Mbps upload. You work with
photos/videos/etc and you need to transfer them somewhere. At 10Mbps upload
it's roughly 15 mins per GB. Even VM's fastest gigabit tier only gets you
52Mbps upload (2.5 mins per GB).

3) Latency is a feature of congestion. If you're running your link at 90%
utilisation packets are going to get delayed waiting for gaps. If you add
bandwidth so your utilisation is 10% with the same throughput, the latency
goes down.

Theo
Old September 8th 20, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_3_]

On 04/09/2020 23:03, Chris wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 04/09/2020 13:13, David wrote:
So 10 Gig plus on all interfaces and no contention. Yeah, right.

It doesn't matter. And I don't see speed as the limit anyway.

I've got 70Mbps. It's enough for most things - the only thing I do often
that takes much time is downloading a 70MB firmware image from work. and
that's not exactly painful.

I could upgrade (BT are offering me gigabit, I have a fibre) but what's
the point? It would save me 10 seconds a few dozen times a day.

What I can't do is run a machine here truly on the work network because
the _latency_ is too big. We have a shared compilation system
(Icecream), and that just wouldn't work properly with a ping of 10ms or so.

The one that catches my wife out is that their office intranet makes
assumptions about locality and so many people are lazy when putting
together Powerpoint presentations. So you find a 100MB HD video lurking
in a presentation which would be OK on a fast corporate network but is a
nightmare at the other end of a wet piece of string. It is even more
annoying when the video is actually displayed in a window the size of a
postage stamp after the corporate ID framing bloat has been added.

She has also had trouble saving to OneDrive where the remote end says it
has saved the document OK and although it momentarily flashes up at the
start of the next day it vanishes into the ether never to be seen again.
Unclear why so local saved copies of work in progress are now kept.

I presume one drive doesn't recover gracefully from certain network
disturbances that can occur on a VPN over an unreliable ADSL physical
layer link.

Agree. We've got 34Mbps down here and it's fine with three of us WFH. The
only reason it'd be worth upgrading for is the *up*load speed.

I have a whopping 5Mbps though upload is now 1Mbps (was 0.448M before).

That is just about usable for Zoom or Teams although watching HDTV is
right on the limit. It degrades noticeably in bad weather.

My line is relatively good for North Yorkshire. A lot of people here get
2Mbps or less which isn't really enough to do anything useful. Most
farmers are on 20M symmetric microwave service now since they struggled
doing online forms with 1Mbps over unreliable long phone lines.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old September 8th 20, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 4 September 2020 23:04:04 UTC+1, Chris wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 04/09/2020 13:13, David wrote:
So 10 Gig plus on all interfaces and no contention. Yeah, right.

It doesn't matter. And I don't see speed as the limit anyway.

I've got 70Mbps. It's enough for most things - the only thing I do often
that takes much time is downloading a 70MB firmware image from work. and
that's not exactly painful.

I could upgrade (BT are offering me gigabit, I have a fibre) but what's
the point? It would save me 10 seconds a few dozen times a day.

What I can't do is run a machine here truly on the work network because
the _latency_ is too big. We have a shared compilation system
(Icecream), and that just wouldn't work properly with a ping of 10ms or so.

Agree. We've got 34Mbps down here and it's fine with three of us WFH. The
only reason it'd be worth upgrading for is the *up*load speed.

I get about 50Mbps down and 9-10Mbps up, which is fine for streaming 4k video and almost everything else. Ok downloading the latest W10 upgrade takes a couple of minutes, but PC normally do this at night anyway.