A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

PAYG SIM minutes don't run out - no monthly top up



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #141  
Old September 15th 20, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Chris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 675
Default PAYG SIM minutes don't run out - no monthly top up

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 12/09/2020 13:59, Chris wrote:
AnthonyL wrote:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 18:37:06 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

Robert wrote:
On 11/09/2020 16:43, Reentrant wrote:
On 11/09/2020 16:09, David wrote:
I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not
require
a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long term
is more important.

Cheers



Dave R



Giffgaff. You just have to make one chargeable call or text every 6
months to keep it "alive" and I think they warn you in good time before
they close the account. Topup credits last indefinitely (ie top up,
don't buy a monthly "goodybag"). It's ideal for low usage.

Runs on the O2 network.

Also Three's 321 tariff, topups do not run out. They also do a free
200MB per month data card.
I think everyone requires occasional usage to keep the SIM active.


Doesn't exist anymore.


Really - where do you look to not see that?


three.co.uk the 321 PAYG is nowhere to be seen. Looking at the T&Cs it
looks like it was removed in March or May. I forget which.

Apparently the reward SIM is still available.

http://www.three.co.uk/termspdf/PAYG...ide_010817.pdf


That's out of date. Hopefully this link works, Three makes these link hard
to find.

http://www.three.co.uk/cs/Satellite?...ble=MungoBlobs

  #142  
Old September 16th 20, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,748
Default PAYG SIM minutes don't run out - no monthly top up

On 15/09/2020 22:14, Chris wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 15/09/2020 08:56, Tweed wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 14/09/2020 23:58, Mark wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Also Three's 321 tariff, topups do not run out. They also do a free
200MB per month data card.
I think everyone requires occasional usage to keep the SIM active.


Doesn't exist anymore.


Really - where do you look to not see that?

3 certainly does a basic free sim that is payg


Yes I know - I have several of both types. It wasn't clear what
"Doesn't exist anymore" and it read as though the Data Rewards
doesnt' exit when in fact it is the 321 that disappointing has
disappeared.



well my credit never runs out. I use the thing so little that I never
convert it to a time expiring 'deal'.

I have no idea what I have - just 3 payg is all I know


3 still do a PAYG sim which the credit does not run out, but its now
10p min 10p text and 5p MB
and also has this the the T&C
"if within a 180 days you have not made any chargeable events or activities
(for example, made telephone calls, sent text or photo messages, accessed
content using the internet or any other Three Services for which a charge is
made), we may also suspend our Services or disconnect you."

-

What ****s.

treble the price without warning.




I'm under the impression that existing 321 sims carry on under the old
pricing. So not a price rise, technically a withdrawn and replaced product.

well yes. That seems to be the case but its still a tripling in price. Why?


Pre-empting Brexit fallout?

Try not to be sillier than God made you.


--
“The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

  #143  
Old September 16th 20, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 129
Default PAYG SIM minutes don't run out - no monthly top up

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 12:41:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 15/09/2020 12:37, AnthonyL wrote:
On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 07:56:19 -0000 (UTC), Tweed
wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 14/09/2020 23:58, Mark wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Also Three's 321 tariff, topups do not run out. They also do a free
200MB per month data card.
I think everyone requires occasional usage to keep the SIM active.


Doesn't exist anymore.


Really - where do you look to not see that?

3 certainly does a basic free sim that is payg


Yes I know - I have several of both types. It wasn't clear what
"Doesn't exist anymore" and it read as though the Data Rewards
doesnt' exit when in fact it is the 321 that disappointing has
disappeared.



well my credit never runs out. I use the thing so little that I never
convert it to a time expiring 'deal'.

I have no idea what I have - just 3 payg is all I know


3 still do a PAYG sim which the credit does not run out, but its now
10p min 10p text and 5p MB
and also has this the the T&C
"if within a 180 days you have not made any chargeable events or activities
(for example, made telephone calls, sent text or photo messages, accessed
content using the internet or any other Three Services for which a charge is
made), we may also suspend our Services or disconnect you."

-

What ****s.

treble the price without warning.




I’m under the impression that existing 321 sims carry on under the old
pricing. So not a price rise, technically a withdrawn and replaced product.


Correct - the 321 is still 3-2-1, just no longer available to new
customers.

Annoyingly I've lost one of the SIMS which as a few credit on it.
Hopefully it's just dropped behind the desk rather than being left
overseas when I was swapping local sims into my/my wife's phone.




I've got a brand new payg 3 SIM with 10 credit in it somewhere


As expected found mine in a neat plastic wallet which I'd used to keep
local (overseas that is) sims and other sims in one place. I had a
look for yours at the same time but no joy, sorry.

As an aside I have a spare cheap dual sim android phone from when I
was trying Android out. However it will only allow one 3G sim at a
time to work.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
  #144  
Old September 16th 20, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Chris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 675
Default PAYG SIM minutes don't run out - no monthly top up

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 15/09/2020 22:14, Chris wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 15/09/2020 08:56, Tweed wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 14/09/2020 23:58, Mark wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Also Three's 321 tariff, topups do not run out. They also do a free
200MB per month data card.
I think everyone requires occasional usage to keep the SIM active.


Doesn't exist anymore.


Really - where do you look to not see that?

3 certainly does a basic free sim that is payg


Yes I know - I have several of both types. It wasn't clear what
"Doesn't exist anymore" and it read as though the Data Rewards
doesnt' exit when in fact it is the 321 that disappointing has
disappeared.



well my credit never runs out. I use the thing so little that I never
convert it to a time expiring 'deal'.

I have no idea what I have - just 3 payg is all I know


3 still do a PAYG sim which the credit does not run out, but its now
10p min 10p text and 5p MB
and also has this the the T&C
"if within a 180 days you have not made any chargeable events or activities
(for example, made telephone calls, sent text or photo messages, accessed
content using the internet or any other Three Services for which a charge is
made), we may also suspend our Services or disconnect you."

-

What ****s.

treble the price without warning.




I'm under the impression that existing 321 sims carry on under the old
pricing. So not a price rise, technically a withdrawn and replaced product.

well yes. That seems to be the case but its still a tripling in price. Why?


Pre-empting Brexit fallout?

Try not to be sillier than God made you.


Not at all. Without a trade deal - which is looking increasingly likely -
connection and roaming charges to the EU are likely to go up for uk
networks from 31st December.

  #145  
Old September 16th 20, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,748
Default PAYG SIM minutes don't run out - no monthly top up

On 16/09/2020 14:21, Chris wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 15/09/2020 22:14, Chris wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 15/09/2020 08:56, Tweed wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 14/09/2020 23:58, Mark wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Also Three's 321 tariff, topups do not run out. They also do a free
200MB per month data card.
I think everyone requires occasional usage to keep the SIM active.


Doesn't exist anymore.


Really - where do you look to not see that?

3 certainly does a basic free sim that is payg


Yes I know - I have several of both types. It wasn't clear what
"Doesn't exist anymore" and it read as though the Data Rewards
doesnt' exit when in fact it is the 321 that disappointing has
disappeared.



well my credit never runs out. I use the thing so little that I never
convert it to a time expiring 'deal'.

I have no idea what I have - just 3 payg is all I know


3 still do a PAYG sim which the credit does not run out, but its now
10p min 10p text and 5p MB
and also has this the the T&C
"if within a 180 days you have not made any chargeable events or activities
(for example, made telephone calls, sent text or photo messages, accessed
content using the internet or any other Three Services for which a charge is
made), we may also suspend our Services or disconnect you."

-

What ****s.

treble the price without warning.




I'm under the impression that existing 321 sims carry on under the old
pricing. So not a price rise, technically a withdrawn and replaced product.

well yes. That seems to be the case but its still a tripling in price. Why?

Pre-empting Brexit fallout?

Try not to be sillier than God made you.


Not at all. Without a trade deal - which is looking increasingly likely -
connection and roaming charges to the EU are likely to go up for uk
networks from 31st December.

They are just as likely to stay the same. No service is being pushed
across an EU boundary. You will tell me next there will be a surcharge
for accessing the European Internet.


--
Of what good are dead warriors? … Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
their spears on the ground and talk of honor. Those who leap high the
battle dance and dream of glory … The good of dead warriors, Mother, is
that they are dead.
Sheri S Tepper: The Awakeners.
  #146  
Old September 16th 20, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Mike
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19
Default PAYG SIM minutes don't run out - no monthly top up

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
You will tell me next there will be a surcharge
for accessing the European Internet.


VAT/IP ... extra 20% added to all packets?

--
--------------------------------------+------------------------------------
Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk
  #147  
Old September 16th 20, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Chris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 675
Default PAYG SIM minutes don't run out - no monthly top up

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 16/09/2020 14:21, Chris wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 15/09/2020 22:14, Chris wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 15/09/2020 08:56, Tweed wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 14/09/2020 23:58, Mark wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Also Three's 321 tariff, topups do not run out. They also do a free
200MB per month data card.
I think everyone requires occasional usage to keep the SIM active.


Doesn't exist anymore.


Really - where do you look to not see that?

3 certainly does a basic free sim that is payg


Yes I know - I have several of both types. It wasn't clear what
"Doesn't exist anymore" and it read as though the Data Rewards
doesnt' exit when in fact it is the 321 that disappointing has
disappeared.



well my credit never runs out. I use the thing so little that I never
convert it to a time expiring 'deal'.

I have no idea what I have - just 3 payg is all I know


3 still do a PAYG sim which the credit does not run out, but its now
10p min 10p text and 5p MB
and also has this the the T&C
"if within a 180 days you have not made any chargeable events or activities
(for example, made telephone calls, sent text or photo messages, accessed
content using the internet or any other Three Services for which a charge is
made), we may also suspend our Services or disconnect you."

-

What ****s.

treble the price without warning.




I'm under the impression that existing 321 sims carry on under the old
pricing. So not a price rise, technically a withdrawn and replaced product.

well yes. That seems to be the case but its still a tripling in price. Why?

Pre-empting Brexit fallout?

Try not to be sillier than God made you.


Not at all. Without a trade deal - which is looking increasingly likely -
connection and roaming charges to the EU are likely to go up for uk
networks from 31st December.

They are just as likely to stay the same. No service is being pushed
across an EU boundary. You will tell me next there will be a surcharge
for accessing the European Internet.


The analogy is incorrect. We very obviously pay different rates for roaming
in and calls to other countries outside of the EU. Try making calls in
Australia or Singapore with a UK a SIM for 3ppm. Likewise Russians or
Egyptians calling EU residents pay more than we do currently. That's what
being a "third country".

  #148  
Old September 16th 20, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Pete Forman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 32
Default PAYG SIM minutes don't run out - no monthly top up

Tweed writes:

Mark wrote:

"Tweed" wrote in message
...

Asda is a cheap 321 payg sim like all the rest use once every 6 months
to
keep it alive
ASDA Mobile currently uses the EE network to run it's service, but from
early 2021, it'll use the Vodafone network.


Oh balls, does that mean my "EE" locked iPhone will no longer work



Is it actually correct that Asda is migrating to Vodafone? I thought they
had only just (well I the last few years) migrated from Vodafone. It is
Virgin Mobile that is supposed to be moving from EE to Vodafone, though
this may now be O2.


yep
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-vodafone.html

-

Thanks -interesting. Presumably a vacancy for a MVNO at Vodafone now
they've been jilted by Virgin Mobile. Funny how quickly management
strategies change - it wasn't that long ago that Vodafone was getting rid
of MVNOs.


Lebara are the only regular PAYG MVNO left using Vodafone.

VOXI has PAYG but restricted to calls and text. Data is only available
on monthly plans. It is a brand of Vodafone rather than a true MVNO.

--
Pete Forman
https://payg.pythonanywhere.com
  #149  
Old September 16th 20, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Pete Forman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 32
Default PAYG SIM minutes don't run out - no monthly top up

Chris writes:

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 12/09/2020 13:59, Chris wrote:
AnthonyL wrote:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 18:37:06 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

Robert wrote:
On 11/09/2020 16:43, Reentrant wrote:
On 11/09/2020 16:09, David wrote:
I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not
require
a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long term
is more important.

Cheers



Dave R



Giffgaff. You just have to make one chargeable call or text every 6
months to keep it "alive" and I think they warn you in good time before
they close the account. Topup credits last indefinitely (ie top up,
don't buy a monthly "goodybag"). It's ideal for low usage.

Runs on the O2 network.

Also Three's 321 tariff, topups do not run out. They also do a free
200MB per month data card.
I think everyone requires occasional usage to keep the SIM active.


Doesn't exist anymore.


Really - where do you look to not see that?


three.co.uk the 321 PAYG is nowhere to be seen. Looking at the T&Cs it
looks like it was removed in March or May. I forget which.

Apparently the reward SIM is still available.

http://www.three.co.uk/termspdf/PAYG...ide_010817.pdf


That's out of date. Hopefully this link works, Three makes these link hard
to find.

http://www.three.co.uk/cs/Satellite?...ble=MungoBlobs


I agree that those links are hard to find. Go to the bottom of their web
pages and follow the link to Terms & Conditions. Click Price Guides.
This link will take you straight there.

http://www.three.co.uk/terms-conditions/price-guides

They have current and old (321) PAYG and Mobile Broadband (which
includes Data Reward PAYG).

--
Pete Forman
https://payg.pythonanywhere.com
  #150  
Old September 17th 20, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,748
Default PAYG SIM minutes don't run out - no monthly top up

On 16/09/2020 22:31, Chris wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 16/09/2020 14:21, Chris wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 15/09/2020 22:14, Chris wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 15/09/2020 08:56, Tweed wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 14/09/2020 23:58, Mark wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Also Three's 321 tariff, topups do not run out. They also do a free
200MB per month data card.
I think everyone requires occasional usage to keep the SIM active.


Doesn't exist anymore.


Really - where do you look to not see that?

3 certainly does a basic free sim that is payg


Yes I know - I have several of both types. It wasn't clear what
"Doesn't exist anymore" and it read as though the Data Rewards
doesnt' exit when in fact it is the 321 that disappointing has
disappeared.



well my credit never runs out. I use the thing so little that I never
convert it to a time expiring 'deal'.

I have no idea what I have - just 3 payg is all I know


3 still do a PAYG sim which the credit does not run out, but its now
10p min 10p text and 5p MB
and also has this the the T&C
"if within a 180 days you have not made any chargeable events or activities
(for example, made telephone calls, sent text or photo messages, accessed
content using the internet or any other Three Services for which a charge is
made), we may also suspend our Services or disconnect you."

-

What ****s.

treble the price without warning.




I'm under the impression that existing 321 sims carry on under the old
pricing. So not a price rise, technically a withdrawn and replaced product.

well yes. That seems to be the case but its still a tripling in price. Why?

Pre-empting Brexit fallout?

Try not to be sillier than God made you.

Not at all. Without a trade deal - which is looking increasingly likely -
connection and roaming charges to the EU are likely to go up for uk
networks from 31st December.

They are just as likely to stay the same. No service is being pushed
across an EU boundary. You will tell me next there will be a surcharge
for accessing the European Internet.


The analogy is incorrect. We very obviously pay different rates for roaming
in and calls to other countries outside of the EU. Try making calls in
Australia or Singapore with a UK a SIM for 3ppm. Likewise Russians or
Egyptians calling EU residents pay more than we do currently. That's what
being a "third country".

these are merely places where no decent service provider deals are done,
it has nothing to do with government *unless governments choose to
intervene*.

The EU did and bigs it up as a huge success.

But glancing at my 3 mobile prices chart, half the world is in the same
roaming rate as EU destinations.

It simply has nothing to do with Britain's status in Europe or not. Its
another remoaner myth .

Like food standards, UK food standards are in general higher than those
of the EU, we cannot refuse food from eastern Europe that we would not
allow to be produced in this country, for example.

--
There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale
returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

Mark Twain
 



« Previous Thread | - »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PAYG SIM recommendation for VDSL backup Peter Johnson[_3_] uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 13 April 20th 20 08:37 PM
Can anyone recommend a PAYG SIM that doesn't run out? JohnDavidson uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 7 July 7th 16 10:06 AM
Monthly one plan sim in a 3 dongle John uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 February 10th 13 01:51 PM
Use 2 minutes time, earn USD5000 monthly!You of part-time dream! [email protected] uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 July 1st 07 08:01 AM
O2 payg mobile + Tesco sim Jose uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 2 September 18th 06 01:03 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2020 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.