PAYG SIM minutes don't run out - no monthly top up

Old September 17th 20, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Pamela

Default PAYG SIM minutes don't run out - no monthly top up

On 21:17 15 Sep 2020, Jim GM4DHJ ... said:

http://www.three.co.uk/termspdf/PAYG...ide_010817.pdf

That's for 2017.
Old September 18th 20, 07:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Chris

On 14/09/2020 23:58, Mark wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Also Three's 321 tariff, topups do not run out. They also do a free
200MB per month data card.
I think everyone requires occasional usage to keep the SIM active.

Doesn't exist anymore.

Really - where do you look to not see that?

3 certainly does a basic free sim that is payg

Yes I know - I have several of both types. It wasn't clear what
"Doesn't exist anymore" and it read as though the Data Rewards
doesnt' exit when in fact it is the 321 that disappointing has
disappeared.

well my credit never runs out. I use the thing so little that I never
convert it to a time expiring 'deal'.

I have no idea what I have - just 3 payg is all I know

3 still do a PAYG sim which the credit does not run out, but its now
10p min 10p text and 5p MB
and also has this the the T&C
"if within a 180 days you have not made any chargeable events or activities
(for example, made telephone calls, sent text or photo messages, accessed
content using the internet or any other Three Services for which a charge is
made), we may also suspend our Services or disconnect you."

-

What ****s.

treble the price without warning.

I'm under the impression that existing 321 sims carry on under the old
pricing. So not a price rise, technically a withdrawn and replaced product.

well yes. That seems to be the case but its still a tripling in price. Why?

Pre-empting Brexit fallout?

Try not to be sillier than God made you.

Not at all. Without a trade deal - which is looking increasingly likely -
connection and roaming charges to the EU are likely to go up for uk
networks from 31st December.

They are just as likely to stay the same. No service is being pushed
across an EU boundary. You will tell me next there will be a surcharge
for accessing the European Internet.

The analogy is incorrect. We very obviously pay different rates for roaming
in and calls to other countries outside of the EU. Try making calls in
Australia or Singapore with a UK a SIM for 3ppm. Likewise Russians or
Egyptians calling EU residents pay more than we do currently. That's what
being a "third country".

these are merely places where no decent service provider deals are done,
it has nothing to do with government *unless governments choose to
intervene*.

The EU did and bigs it up as a huge success.

But glancing at my 3 mobile prices chart, half the world is in the same
roaming rate as EU destinations.

And yet they've unilaterally increased prices, which you were bitterly
complaining about. Hmm...? The timing is suspicious and I won't be
surprised when the other networks lose their 321 or similar plans.

It simply has nothing to do with Britain's status in Europe or not. Its
another remoaner myth .

Roaming costs for all EU citizens were absolutely dropped by the EU
commission. That's undeniable.

Like food standards, UK food standards are in general higher than those
of the EU, we cannot refuse food from eastern Europe that we would not
allow to be produced in this country, for example.

Old September 18th 20, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Java Jive

Like food standards, UK food standards are in general higher than those
of the EU, we cannot refuse* food from eastern Europe that we would not
allow to be produced in this country, for example.

Could be somewhat premature, what price chlorinated chicken?

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk
Old September 18th 20, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Mark

On 12/09/2020 14:16, Pamela wrote:
On 12:39 12 Sep 2020, Pete Forman said:

Pamela writes:

On 16:09 11 Sep 2020, David said:

I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not
require a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long
term is more important.

Try Ken's Tech Tips.

Shortlist of low-use PAYG:
https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/c...you-go-bundles

Charges:
https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/c...ou-go-networks

That is a good site. My site has a comprehensive list focused on PAYG.
There is a section on inactivity, most plans use 180 days. Even if you
are just wanting backup it is a good idea to use a SIM every couple of
months to make sure that it is working when you need it.

O2 Classic and Three 321 are no longer available to new customers.
However Three Data Rewards is still 3p/min, 2p/SMS and 1p/MB. It is
reported that it works in phones despite being sold as Mobile Broadband.

The OP asks for a backup. The Vodafone PAYG 1 is potentially pricier but
only when you use it. Rates are less important.

--
Pete Forman
https://payg.pythonanywhere.com

Thanks for mentioning your site -- it's really useful.

I'm a low user and have Three's 321 PAYG but Three's Data Reward looks even
better (apart from the up front 10 charge for 1GB). Am I overlooking
something?

Is Data Reward likely to be discontinued?

Who knows, but 0 credit data reward SIMs are still available via the
website, you don't have to buy the 10 version. search on "Order a free
data SIM"

O2 classic SIMs are still available from ebay sellers, too. O2 does
charge for data in 20p sessions though, which eats up credit a bit
faster than expected, so Three is better for very low data usage as true
payg
Old September 18th 20, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Pete Forman

Pamela writes:

[...]

That is not my experience on O2 Classic PAYG, I mainly use Wi-Fi but
will check next time I use mobile internet. I fear you have misread the
T&C. What they say is that for a long data session 20p will be taken for
each 20MB as you go along. But the minimum charge is still 1p.

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditi...and-conditions

3.c 1p per MB within our Europe Zone with no data cap. Your data use
will be calculated every time a data session ends or every 20MB
whichever happens first. There is a minimum charge of 1p per data
session, however short. The charge for each data session will be
rounded up to the nearest whole penny.

Old September 18th 20, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Mark

Pamela writes:

[...]

Yes quite possibly but the impact on the pre-pay credit balance has been
pretty much the same. There have definitely been occasions where the O2
billing system has deducted variable amounts in fairly quick succession
which have seemed to be 20p chunks but given the above was probably
numerous rounded-up 1p sessions that totted up to 20p or more over a
relatively short period of time.

I have used both an O2 classic SIM and a Three trio SIM for phone-based
sat-nav and the O2 SIM gobbles credit due to the way the app works. The
Three SIM works as you'd want it to over a journey and is the cheaper
option.