PAYG SIM minutes don't run out - no monthly top up

Old September 11th 20, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
DJC[_2_]

Default PAYG SIM minutes don't run out - no monthly top up

On 11/09/2020 16:09, David wrote:
I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not require
a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long term
is more important.

Tesco,

--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Old September 11th 20, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 11 September 2020 19:37:08 UTC+1, Chris wrote:
Robert wrote:
On 11/09/2020 16:43, Reentrant wrote:
On 11/09/2020 16:09, David wrote:
I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not
require
a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long term
is more important.

Cheers

Dave R

Giffgaff. You just have to make one chargeable call or text every 6
months to keep it "alive" and I think they warn you in good time before
they close the account. Topup credits last indefinitely (ie top up,
don't buy a monthly "goodybag"). It's ideal for low usage.

Runs on the O2 network.

Also Three's 321 tariff, topups do not run out. They also do a free
200MB per month data card.
I think everyone requires occasional usage to keep the SIM active.

Doesn't exist anymore.

You better order one quick: -

https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order
Old September 11th 20, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 11 September 2020 17:33:33 UTC+1, GB wrote:
On 11/09/2020 17:13, alan_m wrote:

GiffGaff on the O2 network

Their PAYG credit does not run out but it's not the cheapest PAYG

I went from GiffGaff to O2 PAYG. O2 is a third of the price.

I use mine occasionally, but a 10 top-up lasts months.

That was O2 Classic (basically the same as Three's 321), but they pulled that last year.
Old September 11th 20, 08:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 17:39:52 +0100, Mark wrote:

ASDA Mobile currently uses the EE network to run it's service, but from
early 2021, it'll use the Vodafone network.

Oh what! An ASDA Mobile sim is the backup 'net connection here
mainly 'cause they allow tethering and are on EE who are the only
network with decent 4G here. And of course the make a chargeable
call/text once every six months to keep it alive.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old September 11th 20, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 16:43:17 +0100, Reentrant wrote:

Giffgaff. You just have to make one chargeable call or text every 6
months to keep it "alive" and I think they warn you in good time before
they close the account. Topup credits last indefinitely (ie top up,
don't buy a monthly "goodybag"). It's ideal for low usage.

Runs on the O2 network.

I agree. I have some SIMs that I use in the GSM shed alarms. They only
make calls when someone forgets to turn the alarm off!

wish to copy them they can pay me 1 a message.
Old September 11th 20, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Pamela

On 16:09 11 Sep 2020, David said:

I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not require
a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long term
is more important.

Try Ken's Tech Tips.

Shortlist of low-use PAYG:
https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/c...you-go-bundles

Charges:
https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/c...ou-go-networks
Old September 12th 20, 09:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
robert

On 11/09/2020 19:37, Chris wrote:
Robert wrote:
[...]

Thanks - didnt realise they had stopped the 321 SIM
The free 200MB data is still available
https://3g.co.uk/three-data-reward-sim

Old September 12th 20, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

Robert wrote:
[...]

I have five of them from about a year ago...am I still getting the 200mb
?....
Old September 12th 20, 09:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

Robert wrote:
[...]

strange...I just ordered another one,,,
Old September 12th 20, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On 11/09/2020 16:09, David wrote:
I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not require
a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long term
is more important.

Cheers

Three works great for me. I put in 20 quid every 9 months or so

Dave R

Josef Stalin