PAYG SIM minutes don't run out - no monthly top up

Old September 12th 20, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Default PAYG SIM minutes don't run out - no monthly top up

On 11/09/2020 16:09, David wrote:
I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not
require
a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long term
is more important.

Cheers

Three works great for me. I put in 20 quid every 9 months or so

Dave R

great city system but crap in the near of the country
Old September 12th 20, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ...

On 12/09/2020 09:14, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 11/09/2020 19:37, Chris wrote:
Robert wrote:
On 11/09/2020 16:43, Reentrant wrote:
On 11/09/2020 16:09, David wrote:
I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not
require
a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long
term
is more important.

Cheers

Dave R

Giffgaff. You just have to make one chargeable call or text every 6
months to keep it "alive" and I think they warn you in good time before
they close the account. Topup credits last indefinitely (ie top up,
don't buy a monthly "goodybag"). It's ideal for low usage.

Runs on the O2 network.

Also Three's 321 tariff, topups do not run out. They also do a free
200MB per month data card.
I think everyone requires occasional usage to keep the SIM active.

Doesn't exist anymore.

I have five of them from about a year ago...am I still getting the 200mb
?....

3 are good at removing life time offers
Old September 12th 20, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
mm0fmf

On 11/09/2020 16:09, David wrote:
I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not require
a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long term
is more important.

Cheers

Dave R

You can get such a SIM from Vodaphone, just ask for one that doesn't
need monthly top ups. The use costs are higher though. But if you spend
1 in a the same calendar day you get unlimited minutes/texts for the
rest of that day. I think you get 500MB data as well.

Old September 12th 20, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Pete Forman

Pamela writes:

On 16:09 11 Sep 2020, David said:

I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not
require a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long
term is more important.

Try Ken's Tech Tips.

Shortlist of low-use PAYG:
https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/c...you-go-bundles

Charges:
https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/c...ou-go-networks

That is a good site. My site has a comprehensive list focused on PAYG.
There is a section on inactivity, most plans use 180 days. Even if you
are just wanting backup it is a good idea to use a SIM every couple of
months to make sure that it is working when you need it.

O2 Classic and Three 321 are no longer available to new customers.
However Three Data Rewards is still 3p/min, 2p/SMS and 1p/MB. It is
reported that it works in phones despite being sold as Mobile Broadband.

The OP asks for a backup. The Vodafone PAYG 1 is potentially pricier but
only when you use it. Rates are less important.

--
Pete Forman
https://payg.pythonanywhere.com
Old September 12th 20, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Chris

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 11/09/2020 16:09, David wrote:
I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not
require
a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long term
is more important.

Cheers

Three works great for me. I put in 20 quid every 9 months or so

Dave R

great city system but crap in the near of the country

I disagree. It works well everywhere for me.

Old September 12th 20, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 18:37:06 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

Robert wrote:
[...]

Really - where do you look to not see that?

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Old September 12th 20, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On 12/09/2020 13:26, Chris wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 11/09/2020 16:09, David wrote:
I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not
require
a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long term
is more important.

Cheers

Three works great for me. I put in 20 quid every 9 months or so

Dave R

great city system but crap in the near of the country

I disagree. It works well everywhere for me.

I have found it as good as any of the others. Round here there are EE
places only, Vodafone places only and Three places only.

Old September 12th 20, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Robert wrote:
[...]

3 certainly does a basic free sim that is payg

Old September 12th 20, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 11/09/2020 16:09, David wrote:
I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not
require
a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long
term
is more important.

Cheers

Three works great for me. I put in 20 quid every 9 months or so

Dave R

great city system but crap in the near of the country

I disagree. It works well everywhere for me.

I have found it as good as any of the others. Round here there are EE
places only, Vodafone places only and Three places only.

you need a good 900 Mc/s system to work ..