PAYG SIM minutes don't run out - no monthly top up

Old September 11th 20, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
David[_4_]

Default PAYG SIM minutes don't run out - no monthly top up

I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not require
a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long term
is more important.

Cheers

Dave R

Old September 11th 20, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
David[_4_]

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 15:09:26 +0000, David wrote:

I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not
require a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long term
is more important.

Sorry - should have been mobile.

Old September 11th 20, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Reentrant[_2_]

On 11/09/2020 16:09, David wrote:
I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not require
a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long term
is more important.

Cheers

Dave R

Giffgaff. You just have to make one chargeable call or text every 6
months to keep it "alive" and I think they warn you in good time before
they close the account. Topup credits last indefinitely (ie top up,
don't buy a monthly "goodybag"). It's ideal for low usage.

Runs on the O2 network.

--
Reentrant
Old September 11th 20, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
robert

On 11/09/2020 16:43, Reentrant wrote:
On 11/09/2020 16:09, David wrote:
I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not
require
a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long term
is more important.

Cheers

Dave R

Giffgaff. You just have to make one chargeable call or text every 6
months to keep it "alive" and I think they warn you in good time before
they close the account. Topup credits last indefinitely (ie top up,
don't buy a monthly "goodybag"). It's ideal for low usage.

Runs on the O2 network.

Also Three's 321 tariff, topups do not run out. They also do a free
200MB per month data card.
I think everyone requires occasional usage to keep the SIM active.
Old September 11th 20, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
alan_m

On 11/09/2020 16:09, David wrote:
I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not require
a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long term
is more important.

Cheers

Dave R

GiffGaff on the O2 network

Their PAYG credit does not run out but it's not the cheapest PAYG

They also do "bags" (data bags and goody bags) which do run out after 30
days irrespective of usage but you don't have to purchase them.

You just need to put the basic PAYG credit on the SIM and make one call
every 6?? months to keep the SIM active.

I have a GiffGaff SIM in my burglar alarm which sends me "I'm still
working" text every 3 weeks (or "I've just been triggered text" for a
real alarm). I haven't topped that PAYG credit for over a year.

The throw away backup phone that I keep in the car also has a GG SIM
where the credit hasn't been topped up for over a year.

For my main phone I keep around 20 PAYG credit as a backup and when
expecting to make a lot, or long calls in a month I buy the occasional
goody bag for 6 which gives unlimited minutes and texts and a set
amount of data.

A PAYG top-up of 10 gives free calls to another GG user for 3 months.

If you go to their site just order the free SIM and DON'T sign up for a
plan. Once registered on the site you can add credit to the SIM without
buying a "bag".
Finding where the PAYG info can be difficult on their site because they
are pushing SIM only monthly contracts (goody/data bags from 6 to 25
month)

https://www.giffgaff.com/help/articl...ags-and-credit
Quote:
You can also use credit, instead of a goodybag, on a pay as you go
basis. Unused credit will stay in your account until you've used it up.

https://www.giffgaff.com/pricing

https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-plans

Old September 11th 20, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
GB

On 11/09/2020 17:13, alan_m wrote:

GiffGaff on the O2 network

Their PAYG credit does not run out but it's not the cheapest PAYG

I went from GiffGaff to O2 PAYG. O2 is a third of the price.

I use mine occasionally, but a 10 top-up lasts months.

Old September 11th 20, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Mark

"David" wrote in message
I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not require
a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long term
is more important.

Cheers

Dave R

Asda is a cheap 321 payg sim like all the rest use once every 6 months to
keep it alive
ASDA Mobile currently uses the EE network to run it's service, but from
early 2021, it'll use the Vodafone network.

-

Old September 11th 20, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Tweed[_3_]

David wrote:
I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not require
a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long term
is more important.

Cheers

Dave R

A standard Vodafone PAYG sim will keep its credit as long as you make a
chargeable call, or top it up, every 180 days.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/be...ou-go-sim#help

Under all the blather about bundles, if you scroll down you will find the
details here

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/be...-as-you-go-sim

Old September 11th 20, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Jackson

On 2020-09-11, David wrote:
I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not require
a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long term
is more important.

I use a phone co-op pay-as-you-go card. I think you have to use it or
top up every 6 months or so. Calls appear to be 8p per minute.
I picked up a sim in a local co-op shop.
Old September 11th 20, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Chris

Robert wrote:
On 11/09/2020 16:43, Reentrant wrote:
On 11/09/2020 16:09, David wrote:
I'm looking for a backup SIM which will keep a phone going but not
require
a monthly top up.

Ideally Vodaphone (to diversify networks) but retaining credit long term
is more important.

Cheers

Dave R

Giffgaff. You just have to make one chargeable call or text every 6
months to keep it "alive" and I think they warn you in good time before
they close the account. Topup credits last indefinitely (ie top up,
don't buy a monthly "goodybag"). It's ideal for low usage.

Runs on the O2 network.

Also Three's 321 tariff, topups do not run out. They also do a free
200MB per month data card.
I think everyone requires occasional usage to keep the SIM active.

Doesn't exist anymore.