Old July 4th 03, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Burtt

Default Metro Net - pay as you go DSL

Yes, I know, but that still means you could pay as little 10.63 + VAT per
month when you factor in the cost of the POP3 mailbox. In any case, I quite
like the idea of using port995 for email regardless of which ISP I choose
given that it will mean I can keep the same email address for life instead
of changing each time my ISP upsets me.

--
Malcolm Burtt

Remove "nospam" from domain name when replying.
"rw" [email protected] wrote in message
remember though that no email is included. It costs 7.50 + vat per year

per
email address.

"Malcolm Burtt" wrote in message
Interesting. Thanks for posting that.

As I expect most of my broadband usage to be email and light web

surfing,
think the Metronet deal could work out considerably cheaper than other
alternatives. I'm on really concerned that the old adage "You get what

you
pay for" doesn't ring true in this case. In any case, their minimum

contract
is only 3 months, so I think I won't be too much out of pocket if their
service turns out to be pants. Given the length of the minimum contract
period, I'm guessing that they must be reasonably confident that they

can
deliver or they'd want to try and tie their customers in for longer (or

am
being cynical).

--
Malcolm Burtt

Remove "nospam" from domain name when replying.
"rw" [email protected] wrote in message
I too am interested in Metronet, as are some friends.
I emailed them as follows, and they replied (very quickly i might

add).
Just thought you mighy be interested. Any comments?

Hello,
Myself and several friends are very interested in your PayGoDSL

service.
We wondered how you are able to sustain such a service when BT charge

ISPs
15 per month for an ADSL service. Obviously, we don't want to invest

in
service that may terminate after a few months, and some ISPs have

previously
offered such deals that become unsustainable. We would like to hear

your
comments on this subject.
Also, what size backbone connection you have? Do you have plans to

expand
your bandwidth? If so, when would you be planning to do so?

And the reply:

Without going into the commercial specifics we are able to offer this

kind
of package on a realistic and long term basis because of the way the
packages work essentially.

There are no absolutes any ISP is able to provide given the situation

where
others have fallen by the wayside as you have alluded but suffice to

say
we
are not a new company and have been providing ISP services since 1996

and
therefore we have given or approach very considered thought and

planning
both on the implemention of the service and the infrastructure that it
operates on.

As the way in which our Broadband services work better allows to

monitor
traffic requirements and usage at every point in the day we are better
equipped to cope with bandwidth on demand at the Network level as

needs
dictate.

Ultmately as the service is the first of its kind in the UK we are as

much
new to this as anyone else and are perfectly honest about this but

given
our
experience in the Internet Service field spanning 7 years we believe

we
have
packaged the new PAYGoDSL in such a way for it to be both sustainable

and
viable long term.

Regards