Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
Search took 1.77 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Dave
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) February 15th 04, 06:40 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 1
Posted By Dave
AOL networking

What do you mean, "supporting ethernet modems."

"GGates5263" wrote in message
Does anyone know how close AOL are to...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) November 26th 03, 05:29 AM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 4
Posted By Dave
Wireless protocaol 802-11b in US vs UK

Yes, the keyboards are different but she touch types, so you just load the
different mapping for US keyboard (in Windows setup) and there you go.

She needs to have the laptop ahead-of-time to get...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) November 26th 03, 05:24 AM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 3
Posted By Dave
Bandwidth

There is a piece of software called "Get Right," shareware, that allows you
when placed on each machine to regulate the downloading speed individually.
Must be set from each machine. It is like an...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) November 24th 03, 09:35 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 1
Posted By Dave
Bluetooth, Router

A question for you wizards:

Is there such a thing as a Bluetooth-equipped router, i.e., how to connect
a laptop with Bluetooth to a router? I've never seen a router advertise
dthat supports...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) November 22nd 03, 02:08 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 4
Posted By Dave
Wireless protocaol 802-11b in US vs UK

Is a wireless card bought in UK completely compatible with 802-11b in the
US as well? I have heard that the channels that are used are slightly
different between the US and UK, but have never had the...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) October 3rd 03, 10:37 AM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 1
Posted By Dave
OE advice Please

Tools/Options/Maintenance

Click on "stored folder" - you will see the location there. Suggest you cut
and paste it to address window on IE - that will allow you to easily navigte
to the...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) October 3rd 03, 10:33 AM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
Replies: 6
Posted By Dave
DHCP and Wireless problem

The normal range of IP addresses for private networks has the first two sets
of numbers 192.168.... You have told your router to assign addresses in a
non-private range and your laptop doesn't seem...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) September 19th 03, 02:00 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking,microsoft.public.win2000.networking
Replies: 5
Posted By Dave
Advice wirelessly networking PCs

I have a laptop upstairs netorked wirelessly to router downstairs. Floor is
wood. Works o.k. but signal level is "low" even though room upstairs is
directly above router. Connection does not work...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) August 25th 03, 12:40 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 0
Posted By Dave
Power Line Networking (over AC mains in home or small office)

There is a UK company called Mustek which makes a product that attaches to
any ethernet port (router or PC) and provides network connectivity through
AC mains in one's home or small office. Has...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) August 22nd 03, 02:57 AM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 0
Posted By Dave
help - looking for a university that will give me comuter access

When I looked with my son at a couple schools a few years ago, I was amazed
at how the schools we looked at provided labs with PCs in them, but no one
used them because nearly all the students had...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) August 10th 03, 06:49 AM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 2
Posted By Dave
Router == Access Point?

If you find a device that reliably repeats the signal from the router, let
me know. An access point still has to be connected to network with a cable.
If you are expected this thing to pick up...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) August 10th 03, 06:46 AM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 6
Posted By Dave
11b 0r 54g? Which d'ya think for me?

The practicality is that unless you have real good signal between the two
PCs, the connection speed may very well be less than 11 Mbps - mine is 1
Mbps, for example. And that will not affect your...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) July 19th 03, 11:25 AM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 0
Posted By Dave
Not networking, just a wireless dialup

I don't know everything, but I've never heard of a wireless device with a
modem inside that could plug right into a phone line. Usually would have to
have a PC with the modem, connect the PC to...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) July 19th 03, 11:23 AM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 1
Posted By Dave
Info Req On 10 Mbps Hub

I would go ahead with a 10/100 hub. While the 10 MHz hub's will be way more
than necessary for Internet speed you have access to, it will slow down file
transfers through other PCs through it if you...
Forum: uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) July 4th 03, 09:21 PM Posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Replies: 1
Posted By Dave
Will any 802.11g wireless access point work with an Apple Airport Extreme card?

Devices from different mfgrs which are manufactured to the same standard
should in theory work together. But most people don't recommend mixing
manufacturers. Imagine if you have a problem with the...
Showing results 1 to 15 of 15