Showing results 1 to 24 of 24
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Uncle Wobbly
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 9th 03, 04:36 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 37
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
ZEN INTERNET

Get lost Uncle I have a C reg 216 Vanden Plaz

The "tasteless dork" store just called... they're all out of you.

32000 on the clock genuine I have all the MOT's to prove it

yeah from your nice...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 21st 03, 08:14 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 2
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
Cancelling BTBroadband Home 500 service, other user's experiences?!

you should always do this sort of thing with snail mail, (and best,recorded
delivery)
as email has a habit of sitting in mailboxes - yours is prolly one of
hundreds.

"tHatDudeUK"...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 21st 03, 08:11 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 2
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
Ethernet modem

what is this? I think you have a mixture of terms here... what are you
trying to do?

"Richard Rollins" wrote in message
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 21st 03, 06:39 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 21
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
bnc hub

look around, my first hub was 8xRJ45x10Mb and a BNC socket, so they do
exist. You could connect the DSL router to an RJ45 socket and then link your
existing 10Base2(?) into the BNC on the side.

this...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 21st 03, 12:50 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 56
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
Zen are

My GOD! Monty!... I do believe you have a hard-on!!!

you'd better calm down before you pop something :o)

seriously... I haven't got time to browse this mammoth thread... Im just
picking out your...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 17th 03, 05:27 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 6
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
broadband pic

:o)

Amazingly, this is what I was going to put but decided my actual post fitted
better - spooky!

"TEQ" wrote in message
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 17th 03, 04:50 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 6
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
broadband pic

anna-nicole smith... oh, no. Wait a minute... No that's "ugly fat slapper"
:o)

"Hiram Hackenbacker" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Jul...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 16th 03, 10:43 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 1
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
Question about strange grey BT box...

simple... it's a "megastream" NTE

it's the business end of an old private wire.

"MichaelJP" wrote in message
We've just moved...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 7th 03, 06:42 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 15
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
Limiting lines to ADSL only

You could put a 2K2 resistor between pins 2 & 5 - it''l be permanently
engaged for inbound and you won't get dialling tone on it. Only problem is,
BT might get it show up as a fault.

"Mark Rogers"...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 6th 03, 09:06 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 19
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
5.5 km from an exchange

you've met Monty then :o)

& then people would be up in arms because their line is not up to
'standard'. Let's face it no matter which way round it is BT will
always be in for a kicking as...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 6th 03, 08:54 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 12
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
ADSL Line keeps dropping on a fax transmission

I don't know what the timings are. supposed to be.

RADSL is designed to give acces to those who might be border line... a few
minutes between negotiations does sound extreme even given that this is...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 6th 03, 10:41 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 12
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
ADSL Line keeps dropping on a fax transmission

You have Rate Adaptive DSL my old mate! (RADSL) Normal ADSL will not fall
back it just stops

this is a form of DSL that allows the upstream speed to fall back (exactly
as you have seen) when the...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 6th 03, 10:11 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 1
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
Adding a wireless connection

Any standard Wireless acces point should do this - The best approach (as you
already have a LAN and DSL router) as this will just plug into your
ethernet. You can then choose from a plethora of...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 5th 03, 10:00 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 19
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
5.5 km from an exchange

it isn't about physical distance really - that is just a guide line to how
much copper wire there is between you and the exchange. You could be a lot
closer but because of the cable routing, still be...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 5th 03, 09:46 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 0
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
Replacing Attenna On Wireless Access Point

I have seen kits to locate the aerials on bits of cable to cover blind spots
etc... some WLAPs even support "Diversity mode" (both aerials) or you can
select which it uses... this is (AIUI) primarily...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 5th 03, 09:40 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 2
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
how big can exchanges be?

depends on urban density... a block of flats might go up 20 floors but still
only take up the floor space of say 10 houses... ya dig?

"was gio, now vinnieza" wrote in...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 5th 03, 07:22 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 5
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
Splitter Advice :)

or you can get the ones from Maplin - expensive but do the job and if you
are desperate and have a Maplins nearby, you'd be up and running in 10 mins
or so.

"g00se" wrote in...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 5th 03, 07:21 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 6
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
Extention cabling

usual telephone stuff... the usual solution is then to put a "micro-filter"
in EVERY socket which splits off the telephone and DSL components, you just
plug your DSL modem in wherever required in one...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 5th 03, 06:57 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 1
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
Line Noise

:o)

"Lek" wrote in message
Rule of thumb is.....

Get your head down to the phone point (NTE5) and listen...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 4th 03, 09:58 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 2
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
FAO Freedom2Surf Users

"INCOMING!!!!!!!!!!!!"""""" :o)

"Freedom2Support.net" wrote in message
Hiya Everbody,

I'm Justin Johnson from Freedom2Support, the...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 4th 03, 09:58 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 0
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
Line Noise

worth mentioning here... I have a "higher than acceptable" level (I am 5.66
KM from the exchange) but I had mine put in by an engineer when ADSL was
still quite novel. I failed the woosh test but the...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 4th 03, 05:33 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 14
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
Public IP's on local Lan question

good point... I am win2k throughout here...

*snip*

Fine for Windows XP. I don't know if it can be done on Macs though
and not so easy on a number of Win9x machines (though I know it can be
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 4th 03, 04:25 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 2
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
Port Blocking on BTBroadband ?

mailwasher deletes using POP3... port 110. True, you won't be able to bounce
(with 25 blocked), but MW uses exactly the same method to delete as your
mail client does to get your mail.

because I...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 4th 03, 04:18 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 14
Posted By Uncle Wobbly
Public IP's on local Lan question

why not simply run to networks on the same cabling... each device can have
two IP addresses (or as many as you like) on the single NIC.... run a
10.x.x.x address for your private stuff, allocate each...
Showing results 1 to 24 of 24