Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 8.60 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Andy Burns
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) June 2nd 05, 08:12 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 5
Posted By Andy Burns
Laptop with WiFi

Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com wrote:

What sort/make of modem should i get to connect my laptop to broadband
via WiFi?

that would be a wireless adsl...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 31st 05, 12:10 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 13
Posted By Andy Burns
SDSL Pricing

"7" wrote:

Overal, its cheaper to provision an SDSL lines than an ADSL line!

I've seen that mentioned

say 8mbit SDSL for 60 quid a month or less.

So why aren't ISPs queueing up to offer it?
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 30th 05, 10:21 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 3
Posted By Andy Burns
SDSL Pricing

PJB wrote:

1. it's 1:1 cotention

Not necesarily, you can get it 1:1, 5:1 or 10:1, probably any other
ratio the provider cared to offer ...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 30th 05, 08:20 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 13
Posted By Andy Burns
SDSL Pricing

Ian Stirling wrote:

Are there any other costs than "write a brochure" ?
Isn't essentially all of it shared with ADSL?

The infrastructure from ISP to exchange would be shared with ADSL, but
it...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 30th 05, 07:29 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 13
Posted By Andy Burns
SDSL Pricing

jas0n wrote:

why is [SDSL] so pricey?

1. SDSL includes an extra charge for line rental as it is a dedicated
line, not bolted on top of a voice line, but you still have to pay for
that copper.

2....
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 21st 05, 11:24 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 8
Posted By Andy Burns
Upgraded this morning (Plus.net)

Bales1983 (Lee Bales) wrote:

I understand it was an upgrade as i requested to move from Premier 1mb
original to Premier up to 4mb. Its the same price but the speed is
increased to 2mb. But the...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 20th 05, 07:01 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 8
Posted By Andy Burns
Upgraded this morning (Plus.net)

Bales1983 (Lee Bales) wrote:

I got a problem, i raised a ticket with you, was instructed to request a
regrade, I did. but now have an email saying the request has been sent
to BT, but the line...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 20th 05, 06:55 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 20
Posted By Andy Burns
What are Andrews and Arnold like ?

Peter M wrote:

You might find http://makeashorterlink.com/ handy in future.

I'm well aware of tinyurl and friends, but prefer not to use them,
though I do think Google might be angling towards...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 20th 05, 06:43 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 20
Posted By Andy Burns
What are Andrews and Arnold like ?

Stefan Kaniuk wrote:

his company has got a high risk credit rating as well.

We dealt with A&A years ago, when they were certainly smaller than they
are now. With credit ratings it depends who you...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 20th 05, 06:26 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 8
Posted By Andy Burns
Upgraded this morning (Plus.net)

Bales1983 (Lee Bales) wrote:

Anyway im still running at 1mb, but on the 29.99
4mb package, will plus.net just bump me up to 2mb now then??

Yes, they need to lift the throttle at their end, you...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 18th 05, 05:12 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 20
Posted By Andy Burns
What are Andrews and Arnold like ?

Stefan Kaniuk wrote:

adrian kennard, who for some unknown reason calls himself a reverend...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 16th 05, 10:07 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 23
Posted By Andy Burns
ALDI ADSL Router

David Wade wrote:

Any one any comments about the above router? Any one tried it.

I've heard 2nd hand from someone who bought one for their father that it
works well ...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) April 1st 05, 10:11 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 6
Posted By Andy Burns
Chances of Higher Speed Broadband When BT Roll it out?

Andrew Norman wrote:

Also, there isn't just going to be 4Mb and 8Mb services. The the line
will work at whatever speed it reliably syncs at (or rather a speed on
a 512k boundary somewhere...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 9th 05, 08:30 AM Posted to alt.bittorrent,alt.video.divx,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 9
Posted By Andy Burns
How to speed up Bittorrent...

kim wrote:

How to speed up Bittorrent...
...using the default Bittorrent client version 3.4.2 and no fancy software.

From the Start button -- Control Panel -- Tools -- Folder Options --...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 24th 05, 10:15 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 11
Posted By Andy Burns
Torrents

Grumps wrote:

I've been using Bittorrent and Bitcomet, but have never managed a download
greater than about 30kB/s.
I'm wondering if there is any point upgrading to a 1, 2 or 8MB ADSL.

The...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 21st 05, 10:51 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 9
Posted By Andy Burns
ADSL and CID

Richard Sobey wrote:

This is what my ISP said. I deliberately didn't skimp on the filters
so this has upset me! Excelsus Z-420UK-A (18 for 3...I think that was
on the expensive...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 19th 05, 03:22 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 9
Posted By Andy Burns
ADSL and CID

Richard Sobey wrote:

I meant to ask this last week but forgot. Is it normal to lose
Caller-ID (CID) functionality after having ADSL activated on your
line?

ADSL itself is compatible with...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 19th 05, 02:42 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 8
Posted By Andy Burns
Getting ready for activation day

Mike NG wrote:

Can we plug the microfilter in for the telephone socket or must we wait
for live date.

I had my filter and router plugged in "early" on the Friday before my
target activation...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 19th 05, 09:17 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 11
Posted By Andy Burns
10.1km Line with a Zyxel 660hw

Les Harvey wrote:

Westell have a product called Ultraline which supposedly will work over
'poor' telephone lines. Can improve performance by up to 500%, so the sales
blurb states.

I have a...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 16th 05, 02:37 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 2
Posted By Andy Burns
ADSL modem/router password problem

Grant wrote:

Reset to factory defaults usually does the trick.

If it's like my 7400 you just need to prod a paperclip into the reset
hole at the back (no need to do that while standing on one...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 16th 05, 09:49 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 9
Posted By Andy Burns
Speed/attenuation etc.

Brian McIlwrath wrote:

What are the limits on maximum speed for a given line quality these days?
I have 512k with an attenuation of 43dB and S/N of 30dB.

I have attenuation of 54dB and margin...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 15th 05, 05:13 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 31
Posted By Andy Burns
Plusnet charing flat rate for all speeds

PlusNet Support Team wrote:

The most important figure here is the downstream SNR, at 25dB that's
nice and healthy. 1Mbps won't be a problem at all

I already have 1Mbps with no problems

Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 14th 05, 09:13 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 31
Posted By Andy Burns
Plusnet charing flat rate for all speeds

PlusNet Support Team wrote:

Do you know the SNR/Line loss figures for the line. BT have said that
they expect a very high percentage of our customers to be able to get
4Mbps.

My upstream...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 14th 05, 01:15 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 31
Posted By Andy Burns
Plusnet charing flat rate for all speeds

PlusNet Support Team wrote:

It will happen automatically for all Lite and Premier (and pre-CBC)
customers.

Excellent news!

I don't kow exactly when it will happen yet

I thought I'd...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 14th 05, 01:03 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 31
Posted By Andy Burns
Plusnet charing flat rate for all speeds

PlusNet Support Team wrote:

the good news is that we will shortly be
announcing MaxDSL. This will mean that we will upgrade all of our
customers speeds to the fastest their line will...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 100