Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 0.17 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Andy Burns[_5_]
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Today, 08:16 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 28
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Gigabit fibre - people won't buy it - a lesson for 7

Chris wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Was the UHD actually 3840x2160, or e.g. 2560x1440 scaled-up similar to
iPlayer "HD" at 1280x720?

Any idea how to find out?

An "info" button on the...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Yesterday, 07:33 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 28
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Gigabit fibre - people won't buy it - a lesson for 7

Chris wrote:

I could see a difference with the UHD stream

Was the UHD actually 3840x2160, or e.g. 2560x1440 scaled-up similar to
iPlayer "HD" at 1280x720?
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Yesterday, 11:51 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 50
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Windows 10 won't connect to WiFi on my Draytek router - why?

Nick Leverton wrote:

Following a roam
between APs, other devices on the network do not know which AP is supposed
to be handling the Layer 2 packets for the destination device.

In most cases...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) Yesterday, 08:38 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 28
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Gigabit fibre - people won't buy it - a lesson for 7

Chris wrote:

I honestly don't see the point in recording stuff anymore - the last time I
did was before we went digital.

I largely agree, but if you want full HD resolution, you won't get it...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 12th 18, 08:54 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 50
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Windows 10 won't connect to WiFi on my Draytek router - why?

Graham J wrote:

Does the Rasberry Pi provide any sort of DHCP logging or monitoring s

I should expect dhcpdump is available, if not just use
tcpdump -e port 67 or port 68
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 12th 18, 06:47 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 50
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Windows 10 won't connect to WiFi on my Draytek router - why?

Chris Green wrote:

I have wondered about the
DHCP relay setting as I couldn't find any good documentation about it.

Would only be required if the DHCP server is on a different IP subnet to
the...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 12th 18, 05:38 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 50
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Windows 10 won't connect to WiFi on my Draytek router - why?

NY wrote:

The symptom of it failing was that the PC's IP address was reported by
ipconfig as being 169.x.x.x

Windows (or Linux using zeroconf) will assign an APIPA address like that
whenever...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 12th 18, 05:14 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 50
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Windows 10 won't connect to WiFi on my Draytek router - why?

NY wrote:

Further to my earlier suggestion about disabling IPv6, "left-click the
wifi icon in the taskbar, network & internet settings, change adapter
options, right-click the relevant NIC,...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 12th 18, 04:28 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 50
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Windows 10 won't connect to WiFi on my Draytek router - why?

Chris Green wrote:

how do you set up a static IP on W10?

left-click the wifi icon in the taskbar, network & internet settings,
change adapter options, right-click the relevant NIC, properties,...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 12th 18, 04:00 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 50
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Windows 10 won't connect to WiFi on my Draytek router - why?

Chris Green wrote:

I have a Windows 10 partition on my (normally Linux) laptop so I
booted that and tried, sure enough it fails to connect to the WiFi

You could quickly eliminate (or not) DHCP...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 7th 18, 08:38 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 13
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Plusnet call protect seems to help

NY wrote:

JWs are particularly pernicious because they don't
recognise a polite "no thanks"

I don't get many of them round, but I get in early with a "religion
really is not my thing" or "I...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 4th 18, 12:08 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 12
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Wireless router with guest wifi networks

Bob Latham wrote:

NY wrote:

when a router offers several networks (a private
one with no access between connected computers and a public one which
allows PC-to-PC traffic in addition...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) June 29th 18, 05:04 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 21
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Integration of VoIP with Tunstall healthcare alarm

Graham J wrote:

Three pairs of two tones, might be DTMF but at a higher pitch.

Does the ATA have any settings to control in-band vs out-of-band DTMF?
Or settings to disable lower bandwidth...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) June 29th 18, 12:10 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 21
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Integration of VoIP with Tunstall healthcare alarm

Graham J wrote:

My client has an internet connection and Cat5 wiring to a granny annexe.
In that granny annexe there is a Linksys adapter
We now need to equip the granny annexe with an alarm...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) June 26th 18, 10:18 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 21
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
POTS line to/from VoIP

Roger Bell_West wrote:

If you don't mind using a full-on PC, there are plenty of PCI FXO cards
available

Are these any different from the WinModems sold as "X100P compatible"
for use with...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) June 25th 18, 09:25 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 39
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
ROT - Multi-Input VoIP Autodialler, Where To Buy in UK?

Java Jive wrote:

We have three cables carrying three ethernet subnets,

So long as you/he are aware you could have one VLAN capable switch at
each end, with a single cable between trunk ports on...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) June 25th 18, 12:40 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 39
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
ROT - Multi-Input VoIP Autodialler, Where To Buy in UK?

Java Jive wrote:

Graham J wrote:

a cheap network switch at each end of the cable connecting
the buildings could be regarded as sacrificial.

Trouble is, we'd need three at each...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) June 24th 18, 11:08 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 39
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
ROT - Multi-Input VoIP Autodialler, Where To Buy in UK?

On 23/06/2018 23:07, Java Jive wrote:

On 23/06/2018 21:57, Andy Burns wrote:

On 23/06/2018 21:46, Java Jive wrote:

we needed multiple cables between the buildings, to connect the...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) June 23rd 18, 09:57 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 39
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
ROT - Multi-Input VoIP Autodialler, Where To Buy in UK?

On 23/06/2018 21:46, Java Jive wrote:

we needed multiple cables between the buildings, to connect the public
WiFi, bar tills and credit card machines, etc, while keeping them
physically...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) June 20th 18, 11:13 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 32
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Houses conneced to some cabinets cannot get FTTC even thoughexchange and other cabinets can

NY wrote:

What is weird is that Virgin is also available at a lot of addresses
when FTTC is available: so it was cost-effective to compete with another
provider for customers on some...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) June 17th 18, 05:57 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 32
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Houses conneced to some cabinets cannot get FTTC even thoughexchange and other cabinets can

NY wrote:

Yes, I realise what the A stands for, even if a brainfart caused me to
write asynchronous instead of asymmetric :-). All I'm saying is that
perhaps it's time for ISPs to increase...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) June 17th 18, 05:53 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 12
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Ping Bob Pullen? WTF is the email address for Plusnet sales??

Chris wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Chris wrote:

33 meg on the 40/10 Plusnet FTTC
package. I could get more on the 80/20.

Why do you say that?
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) June 16th 18, 10:49 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Chris wrote:

33 meg on the 40/10 Plusnet FTTC
package. I could get more on the 80/20.

Why do you say that?
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 23rd 18, 08:55 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 8
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Hammond to pledge superfast broadband for most homes

Java Jive wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44215833

Openreach and Virgin FTTP are both available to me (I suspect the latter
would have a zero install cost, the former would be...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 15th 18, 10:28 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 33
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Extending FTTC from a master socket

Vir Campestris wrote:

The master socket is
in a stupid place - what's the best kind of cable to run from there to
where his router will be?

No need to go overboard for a few metres inside...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 100