Showing results 1 to 25 of 93
Search took 0.07 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) October 12th 18, 11:41 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 23
Why choose a smart digital lock?

Smart locks are sure to become every homeowner_s favorite.

Not a Yale smart lock, customers unable to unlock or lock their doors using the
app....
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) October 5th 18, 03:13 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 35
High speed broadband to become a legal right

I wonder what they will do about people who are at the end of
long phone lines in rural areas several miles from an exchange.
Will they have a get-out clause like "we don't have to upgrade
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 30th 18, 09:47 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 3
Openreach outage

Is there any way to find out when one has a problem in their area

https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

Broadband and phone, we notice the latter less often but it does happen. ...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) June 25th 18, 05:09 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 16
Late in the day

The main reason I have stayed with BT is so that I would be able
to change my ISP on my FTTC connection without any hiccups.
Is this necessary these days? I have had enough of BT and would
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 16th 18, 07:48 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 33
Extending FTTC from a master socket

But going for a filtered faceplate is rather committing yourself
to having the router in one place for ever more

No, my filtered faceplate is on a different floor from the router and...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 30th 18, 02:26 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 18
Openreach fibre availabilty gives "exploring solutions - no plan

I have observed that the cabs are always shown in
the middle of the relevant postcode area, so that explains the
inaccuracy.

The CodeLook web site says 'The map shows green circles for the...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 30th 18, 02:26 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 18
Openreach fibre availabilty gives "exploring solutions - no plan

They invariably install a new FTTC cabinet close to the exchange
to cover the nearby residents who are on EO lines and would be
very hacked off if they didn't benefit from the upgrade after...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 4th 18, 12:31 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 4
PhoneCoop broadband ...

I've just moved to phonecoop FTTC broadband. I've just done a
whois on the fixed IP address I get is it appears to be owned by
TalkTalk.

Many ISPs are using TalkTalk Wholesale to offer...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) December 26th 17, 12:31 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 42
BT [Yahoo!] servers screwed yet again

Just amuses me that it is always BT who get all the comments on
coverage whilst their competitors cherry-pick the profitable
areas but seem to get away without getting the same criticism.
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) October 12th 17, 08:23 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 48
FTTP: New Build Home

In short, will it be possible to have an unlimited connection,
running at FTTC style speeds, at FTTC style priceS ?

All ISPs that resell BT Wholesale should be able to offer identical
service...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 25th 17, 03:13 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 13
Have BT made a change?

For the number concerned it says 2905m but the cab info is wrong.
Dslchecker says Cab2 but I think it should be Exchange2 which
means the cable run is about right and there is no FTTC.

I...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 11th 17, 08:35 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 7
For the idly curious. Virgin cable

The figure of eight cable (coax and telephone pairs) is exactly
what links the house to the Virgin street cabinet, it is fibre
between cabinets.

So what's the cable I picked up?...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) June 8th 17, 02:01 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 4
Latest Win 10 Upate Breaks S2 Tethering

To connect to the Internet I use a Three Dongle in a USB port; or
a Three S2 phone tethered to a USP port.
Just recently MS has released a massive update for Win 10 - which
I have now done....
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 24th 17, 06:00 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 13
LLU resellers

Not according to this they don't
https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/guides/fibre_optic_broadband/
Read the section 'Fibre-optic broadband in the UK' where it
specifically says that TT and Sky...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 23rd 17, 09:12 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 13
LLU resellers

Yes, but there are some ISPs who don't have their own equipment
in the exchange - but use LLU equipment anyway.

For example, my ISP offers customers the choice of BT Wholesale
or...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 29th 17, 02:08 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 21
street cabling query

Around 2000 they also had a System X exchange at New Malden that
was a transit switch for their national network and their
international gateway. They also had a Marconi Intelligent
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 29th 17, 08:20 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 21
street cabling query

Much of the VM network (although it depends who originally
installed it) effectively does something similar to BT FTTC. The
telephone pair is still just that, all the way from the local
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 28th 17, 06:26 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 21
street cabling query

Thanks. This brings to mind another question, it's always
"cable" that is talked about in connection with Virgin. Is there
any reason that they don't use fibre on new installs

Cable TV...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) March 28th 17, 02:18 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 21
street cabling query

When Virgin cable an area, would I be correct in assuming that
Virgin will be the sole supplier of services over that cable?

At present, yes, VM is not considered to have monopoly control of...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 23rd 17, 12:31 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 11
FTTP Industrial estates near Lee Valley anyone?

Yet we read only today in this newsgroup that the Germans use a
worm to run cables underground - so no digging. Are there such
worms available in the UK?

Yes, but you can not use them under...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) February 23rd 17, 12:31 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 11
FTTP Industrial estates near Lee Valley anyone?

Anyone know of symmetric gigabit (under 50) FTTP industrial
estates in or
near Lee Valley / London? Services like those offered by
Hyperoptic, Gigaclear and B4RN elsewhere.

Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 25th 17, 12:31 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 10
Onesies

I found a BT man with a brain the next morning (2), and he told
me I was getting FTTP. We're all confused as **** though - there
are two cabinets, which we thought were FTTC.

Put your post...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 13th 17, 06:31 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 79
VDSL Multicast on ADSL line

The reason for using a Vigor router is generally that you require
a specific function that it provides - such as LAN-to-LAN VPN, or
bandwidth control, or the like ...

The Vigor 120/130 are...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 13th 17, 12:31 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 79
VDSL Multicast on ADSL line

So far as I can see the Vigor V130-K modem supports both ADSL and
VDSL

Sorry, got the model wrong, I've got an old Vigor 120 but tell people
to buy the 130 (horrible price) since it's dual...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) January 12th 17, 06:31 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 79
VDSL Multicast on ADSL line

Is VDSL backward-compatible with ADSL, such that an ADSL router
can talk to a VDSL DSLAM, albeit at ADSL speeds

No, ADSL and VDSL modems are completely different, you need the correct
one for...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 93