Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 0.11 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Andy Burns[_5_]
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) October 6th 18, 03:38 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 23
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Why choose a smart digital lock?

Chris wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

When flaws in mechanical locks let thieves in, do insurers welch?

When was the last time a mechanical lock had a systematic flaw?

Does being...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) October 5th 18, 07:19 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 23
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Why choose a smart digital lock?

Chris wrote:

No insurance cover because a flaw let a thief in

When flaws in mechanical locks let thieves in, do insurers welch?
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) October 5th 18, 10:27 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 35
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
High speed broadband to become a legal right

NY wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

The Government has confirmed that universal high speed broadband will
be delivered by a regulatory Universal Service Obligation (USO)
I wonder what they...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 11th 18, 10:24 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 13
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Plusnet billing failures

Clive Page wrote:

can see a drop-down selector for the date of my bill, and when I select
the latest one, it does indeed download it.* But it calls it $STANDARD
with no file type, so...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 9th 18, 10:25 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 13
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Plusnet billing failures

Andy Burns wrote:

Clive Page wrote:

Plusnet have changed their billing system and sent me two emails,
first to say that this months bill would be delayed, and later to say
that it...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) September 7th 18, 08:48 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 13
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Plusnet billing failures

Clive Page wrote:

Plusnet have changed their billing system and sent me two emails, first
to say that this months bill would be delayed, and later to say that it
was available.* But the...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 24th 18, 10:59 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 11
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Intermittent "destination address unreachable" when pining router

NY wrote:

There are no other wifi networks on the same or overlapping networks.
ipconfig reports a sensible IP address

You shouldn't need to, but if the router's outside your control it might...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 24th 18, 10:13 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 4
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Newly upgraded from ADSL to FTTC/VDSL - fast sync but very slowspeedtest.net speed

Andy Burns wrote:

Does the plusnet system know the correct value for the line rate as
reported by the router?* If not, get them to reset it.

Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 24th 18, 10:11 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 4
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Newly upgraded from ADSL to FTTC/VDSL - fast sync but very slowspeedtest.net speed

NY wrote:

My parents have recently upgraded from ADSL to FTTC/VDSL. Their new
router is syncing at about 41/6 Mbps (D/U). However speedtest.net is
giving speeds of about 4/2 Mbps (D/U). Is...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 20th 18, 08:53 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 30
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Sky routers

Brian Gregory wrote:

Normally you can have several SSIDs on each radio

Depends what class of router you consider "normal". You'd be lucky to
get that feature on most of the ones given out by...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 20th 18, 04:16 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 13
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
BT Openreach predicting "In Scope" for FTTP (premises, notcabinet)

NY wrote:

Ah so you need a special FTTP modem

ONT they call it

and then arrange an Ethernet link to
where you want your router. The two are often not in the same...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 20th 18, 01:55 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 13
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
BT Openreach predicting "In Scope" for FTTP (premises, notcabinet)

Roger Mills wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Where FTTP is available instead of FTTC, you can purchase a VDSL speed
connection at a VDSL price.

How is that physically implemented?

They just...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 20th 18, 09:37 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 13
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
BT Openreach predicting "In Scope" for FTTP (premises, notcabinet)

NY wrote:

Will it mean a choice between a fast, expensive service (FTTP) or a
considerably slower and cheaper service (ADSL)

Where FTTP is available instead of FTTC, you can purchase a VDSL...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 18th 18, 11:38 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 30
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Sky routers

NY wrote:

Do you find that the range of 5 GHz covers the whole house?

5.2GHz is a mixed blessing, faster and other people's signals don't
travel so well therefore less interference, but your...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 13th 18, 09:58 AM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 21
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
Wahahahanking with copper G.Fast cut back to G.Slow

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

7 wrote:

Wahahahanking with copper G.Fast cut back to G.Slow

Still trolling I see - don't you get sore wrists...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) August 2nd 18, 11:10 AM Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.mobile
Replies: 50
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
uk.telecom blocked on google groups

Charles Lindsey wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I don't remember seeing any that included actual credit card details,

Apparently there have been some, and that is what has got Google so
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) August 2nd 18, 09:25 AM Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.mobile

David Woolley wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I don't remember seeing any that included actual credit card details,
just "offers" related to credit card, western union etc payments.

I would...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) August 1st 18, 08:39 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.mobile
Replies: 50
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
uk.telecom blocked on google groups

Charles Lindsey wrote:

Please can you show me the headers of such "credit-card fraud" posts as
you can find. It is clear that Google would be breaking the law if they
let one be seen on...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) July 30th 18, 10:22 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 61
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
VoIP with existing wiring and an NTE5c

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

I will try [...] 999

Not a good idea.
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) July 30th 18, 09:14 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 61
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
VoIP with existing wiring and an NTE5c

Graham. wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I'm told there is a danger to having naked broadband

I think you read that on the A&A site.

No, from an old school pal who's an openreach techie ...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) July 30th 18, 08:37 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 61
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
VoIP with existing wiring and an NTE5c

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

I have a naked A&A line along with their VDSL service and it has a line
number that can be identified by dialing 17070.

That sounds like DSL provided on an outgoing calls...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) July 30th 18, 08:36 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 61
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
VoIP with existing wiring and an NTE5c

Graham. wrote:

Andrews & Arnold do offer "naked"
broadband over an openreach pair

I'm told there is a danger to having naked broadband, when searching for
a spare pair, the likes of...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) July 29th 18, 10:57 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 61
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
VoIP with existing wiring and an NTE5c

Theo wrote:

I didn't know you usually got two
pairs - is that true for buried cables too?

Yes, my underground 'drop' wire has 2 pairs, it was useful when I had
PSTN for home use and ISDN/2 for...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) July 29th 18, 10:42 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 61
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
VoIP with existing wiring and an NTE5c

Woody wrote:

I am somewhat confused by this thread

I'd say it seems you've understood it ...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) July 29th 18, 04:38 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 61
Posted By Andy Burns[_5_]
VoIP with existing wiring and an NTE5c

Theo wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Careful you don't cease your VDSL service by doing so.

Andrews and Arnold can do it (for 42).

They're about the only ones I'd trust to get it right (or...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 100