Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 0.14 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Vir Campestris
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 20th 18, 10:51 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 13
Posted By Vir Campestris
BT Openreach predicting "In Scope" for FTTP (premises, notcabinet)

On 20/08/2018 09:33, NY wrote:

I realise that "Exploring solutions" or "In our plans" is a long way
from being able to accept orders.

However I was asking more about the mention of FTTP...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) August 19th 18, 09:47 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 61
Posted By Vir Campestris
VoIP Handset that uses a wi-fi connection rather then wired?.

On 19/08/2018 21:42, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 17/08/2018 17:57, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Where I live we have not had a company side disconnection in 43 years
apart from routine meter...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) August 19th 18, 09:42 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 61
Posted By Vir Campestris
VoIP Handset that uses a wi-fi connection rather then wired?.

On 17/08/2018 17:57, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Where I live we have not had a company side disconnection in 43 years apart from routine meter changes.

I think you are very lucky. I don't think I've...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 19th 18, 09:08 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 13
Posted By Vir Campestris
BT Openreach predicting "In Scope" for FTTP (premises, notcabinet)

On 19/08/2018 20:55, NY wrote:
If the BT Openreach fibre site
https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre
for a given address reports a status of "Your...
Forum: uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) August 16th 18, 09:52 PM Posted to uk.telecom.voip
Replies: 61
Posted By Vir Campestris
VoIP Handset that uses a wi-fi connection rather then wired?.

On 14/08/2018 18:13, David Woolley wrote:

WiFi generally has too much jitter to handle voice well.

I've happily joined video conferences over wifi. OTOH we don't have many
neighbours to...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 14th 18, 09:37 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 21
Posted By Vir Campestris
Wahahahanking with copper G.Fast cut back to G.Slow

On 14/08/2018 17:32, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
I don;t think these are the correct prices, since you can almost always get them down to their new customer prices

I don't intend to try.

Andy
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 13th 18, 08:40 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 21
Posted By Vir Campestris
Wahahahanking with copper G.Fast cut back to G.Slow

On 13/08/2018 18:04, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
More bad news for 7 - BT are going to do FTTP, so what will happen to small financially stretched market entrants?

BT _already_ do FTTP. I've got it...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) August 3rd 18, 10:53 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 11
Posted By Vir Campestris
IoD wants copper switch off date - DCMS fiber engineers offer totake them off the Internet

On 03/08/2018 15:16, NY wrote:
Would the wires support a higher speed if they were twisted pair to
cancel out interference, as opposed to linear arrangement of wires with
lots of other pairs...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 22nd 18, 09:11 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 14
Posted By Vir Campestris
=?UTF-8?Q?_Gigabit_Fiber-_big_Demand_with_=c2=a32000_Gaming_PCs?=

On 21/07/2018 12:22, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
BT (or rather their GPO forebears) sussed this out nearly a century ago, putting small concentrators in rural settlements.

Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 20th 18, 10:52 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 14
Posted By Vir Campestris
=?UTF-8?Q?_Gigabit_Fiber-_big_Demand_with_=c2=a32000_Gaming_PCs?=

On 20/07/2018 18:52, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Maybe, but there will be far cheaper solutions to this problem than laying miles of fibre...

People who choose to live way out in the sticks have to...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 20th 18, 09:59 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 36
Posted By Vir Campestris
"Britain's digital divide"

On 20/07/2018 10:46, Roderick Stewart wrote:
What else would you expect them to do? If you want a computer
connected by ethernet, then*something* has to run from the front door
to where the...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 20th 18, 09:57 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 36
Posted By Vir Campestris
"Britain's digital divide"

On 20/07/2018 09:35, Mark Allread wrote:
I'll read here for a while but probably chip in later with questions as
we are to FTTP within the next 12 months (allegedly).

Don't hold your...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 8th 18, 09:25 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 3
Posted By Vir Campestris
Forcing Torrent files to download

On 08/07/2018 19:18, Pete Zahut wrote:
I've been downloading something (completely legal - not all torrents are
to do with piracy) for 4 DAYS 11 HOURS up to now.

The total size of the item...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) July 8th 18, 09:23 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.misc,uk.politics.misc,uk.finance
Replies: 10
Posted By Vir Campestris
Master baiting with krone tool.. OOoo! I think its gettingbigger!

On 07/07/2018 18:53, johnny-knowall wrote:
On 7 Jul 2018, ATH0 wrote
(in ):

Do you seriously think that if fibre replaced copper...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) June 19th 18, 11:16 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 32
Posted By Vir Campestris
Houses conneced to some cabinets cannot get FTTC even thoughexchange and other cabinets can

On 17/06/2018 11:43, NY wrote:
When I look at the BT line-speed site, the status is something like "BT
is investigating ways of offering high-speed fibre speeds".

That means "Don't hold your...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) June 16th 18, 09:15 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 12
Posted By Vir Campestris
Ping Bob Pullen? WTF is the email address for Plusnet sales??

On 11/06/2018 16:28, Plusnet Support Team wrote:
On 07/06/2018 23:07, Vir Campestris wrote:
I've just had a sales email - I left Plusnet a year ago. And I am
thinking about changing. The...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) June 8th 18, 10:44 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 08/06/2018 08:18, Chris wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:
I've just had a sales email - I left Plusnet a year ago. And I am
thinking about changing. The thing...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) June 7th 18, 11:07 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 12
Posted By Vir Campestris
Ping Bob Pullen? WTF is the email address for Plusnet sales??

I've just had a sales email - I left Plusnet a year ago. And I am
thinking about changing. The thing is I left because FTTP wasn't an
option, except as a trial. And I can't see anything on the...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 20th 18, 09:09 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 33
Posted By Vir Campestris
Extending FTTC from a master socket

On 19/05/2018 20:56, Roderick Stewart wrote:
My guess is that the internet and phone equipment would probably end
up wherever the electricity meter is placed, as it would be tidiest to
keep all...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 18th 18, 09:26 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 33
Posted By Vir Campestris
Extending FTTC from a master socket

On 16/05/2018 11:24, NY wrote:
One of the problems is that Cat 5 is a lot thicker than standard
telephone extension wiring, so it is harder to tuck down the side of a
carpet or to run through...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 15th 18, 09:21 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 33
Posted By Vir Campestris
Extending FTTC from a master socket

Colleague of mine has just bought his first house. The master socket is
in a stupid place - what's the best kind of cable to run from there to
where his router will be? He'd like to keep the 80Mbps...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 15th 18, 09:19 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 58
Posted By Vir Campestris
Average broadband rates near 50Mbps in UK

On 15/05/2018 12:07, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Monday, 14 May 2018 21:03:14 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 14/05/2018 15:00, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
It is a choice to live in the country...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 14th 18, 09:03 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 58
Posted By Vir Campestris
Average broadband rates near 50Mbps in UK

On 14/05/2018 15:00, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
It is a choice to live in the country for most and if you choose that you have to accept that it is uneconomic to provide the same level of services as...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 13th 18, 09:27 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 58
Posted By Vir Campestris
Average broadband rates near 50Mbps in UK

On 11/05/2018 09:17, Martin Brown wrote:
Lack of mains gas is a pretty good proxy for broadband not spots.

Our old house had mains gas, but crap broadband. We now have no gas, but
FTTP (and so do...
Forum: uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) May 3rd 18, 09:07 PM Posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Replies: 16
Posted By Vir Campestris
"Adverts for broadband speeds to face new rules"

On 02/05/2018 17:32, Graham J wrote:
The only way one could get a guarantee of a specific speed would be with
FTTP.

Even then, subject to contention.

I can't really convince myself I ought to...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 100